Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ive been a LEO for almost 20 years and both experience and research has shown me that mag springs get more wear form constant use than from constant compression. That being said, I haven't had a mag failure in all of my time and my mags stay loaded all the time. Modern metallurgy is far better than it was even 20 years ago, and even my 18 year old glock mags still function flawlessly.

Now, on to prepping. I DO keep a stock of NIB mags for all my guns as part of my bugout kit. You never know how long those thing will have to last, but I expect we'll all run out of ammo long before we wear out out mags.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
Sorry, I have not had a chance to respond; I have been at work. Yes, I am in law enforcement. If something did happen I would more than likely be at work. I will not run home and abandon my responsibilities. With that said, I do have basic survival supplies that would last my wife and I a couple months and we do have emergency plans. I have the Fj for wheeling and inclement weather not the end of the world.

I however, will not spend my disposable income stockpiling food and TP. I am not saying you all are wrong or crazy; its just wrong for me. My point was that I would rather spend my money/time collecting firearms.

I will say this, when I posted my opinion I did not expect to be attack for my viewpoint. I did not attack your viewpoints or way of thinking. You all have your own fears...I fear home invasions;this is the way I think. I do not believe the system will collapse. Maybe I was too lighthearted in my original post for such a serious section maybe it should have been posted in the firearms section.

To all the individuals in law enforcement and military on this forum...thanks for doing your job.
It's your viewpoint that was attacked, not you, I was hoping to change the direction to a yes we can type of attitude towards helping ourselves by prepping and to be fair you kinda implied that prepping your FJ is a waste of time, I disagree, we need to get out of dodge somehow and Ill be damned if it's on foot.

This country has more firearms than any other country in the world, we are freaking gun crazy, i personally don't see a need to stockpile guns and ammo when every tom, dick, and hank on this forum and in society are gun lovers. They say those who have the guns will take the food and supplies but that is assuming the guys with food and supplies are not armed, i don't think so:ninja:

Thank you for your service but I felt like you were throwing stones at those of us who would "run home" to OUR responsibilities (wife,kids), I can't imagine staying at my job while the sky was falling and my family is at home alone. :mecry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There are different kinds of people in this world. Many of you will have the option of "bugging out", but a lot of us in service will not have that option regardless of of families. I never said be unprepared. Emergency preparedness as this section is labeled is not just bugging out or preparing for natural disasters it can also be defending your home from whatever; and "whatever" doesn't have to be a "bug out/in" event. SH*t hitting the fan can just be some sh#thead coming into your home.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Get a dog, if you can, I personally have more faith in a dog than my wife using a gun at the time of need, she's kinda weak like that. A dog will also hear them coming long before you do and 99% of criminals will skip the house with the dog. If they know the house is full of guns they will target it. A couple of signs help too; I shoot first ask questions later, never mind the dog beware of owner, armed vet on premisses, etc.
Does anyone remember the national guard going around during Katrina disarming homeowners that stayed to protect their property from looters? Get all the weapons you can through private sales and gun shows, if they know you have it, they will come for it given the opportunity, hide those extra guns real good and never trust the government even if you work for them.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
...I never said be unprepared...
Actually, I think ToyetiSarus was referring to where you said this in the OP...

...fortget the crazy doomsday Fj builds and food/water supplies stockpiles and just build up my armory!...
It's not 'out of context' to see that statement as, to some degree, belittling the idea of emergency preparedness that goes on around here. So, the fact that people took it that way shouldn't be a surprise.

Taken literally, it does actually sound like you were intending on just having a pile of weapons and hope that would carry you through the SHTF episode while you look down on all of us idiots with our weeks of food and water.

Glad that's cleared up. :cheers:

By the way, thanks again indeed for your service, man. Some of us appreciate it more than you know. You truly are the best that America has to offer, and I'm [email protected] glad you're standing in the gap. :salute:

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
So many tidbits come through in so many unexpected ways around here.
I don't know for sure if this applies, but if it does, I would like to learn and then pass it on to a friend... what kind of trailer do you mean?
Any kind! A bottle jack or floor jack and some 2x4's will help keep the springs of any trailer fresh. It's not a bad idea for storing vehicles for long periods either.

4. Joel I saw what you did there, answered your own question. :cheers:
:lol:

Got me thinking. Thinking gets me googling. :cheers:

Ive been a LEO for almost 20 years and both experience and research has shown me that mag springs get more wear form constant use than from constant compression. That being said, I haven't had a mag failure in all of my time and my mags stay loaded all the time. Modern metallurgy is far better than it was even 20 years ago, and even my 18 year old glock mags still function flawlessly.

Now, on to prepping. I DO keep a stock of NIB mags for all my guns as part of my bugout kit. You never know how long those thing will have to last, but I expect we'll all run out of ammo long before we wear out out mags.
I agree with the NIB mags, and do this practice myself.

With metallurgy, I don't think very much has changed in the last 20 years at all! We have better testing equipment, sure, but the compositions and methods really haven't changed. When I studied ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy as a machinist and then again in engineering, I was awe-struck by how much I felt like a blacksmith. The furnace was fancier, with digital controls etc, but really it's all still pretty stone age...

·
Registered
341 Posts
There are different kinds of people in this world. Many of you will have the option of "bugging out", but a lot of us in service will not have that option regardless of of families. I never said be unprepared. Emergency preparedness as this section is labeled is not just bugging out or preparing for natural disasters it can also be defending your home from whatever; and "whatever" doesn't have to be a "bug out/in" event. SH*t hitting the fan can just be some sh#thead coming into your home.
There are many types of people in this world for sure. I love my God, my family, and my country. Those are in order. Not saying you are wrong about your priorities, but, you always have options. They come in the form of choices. For anybody that think I have mine out of order, I don't mind you thinking that at all, its your right. But, before you blast me on mine, you need to know I've buried more friends in my lifetime than anybody should.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Any kind! A bottle jack or floor jack and some 2x4's will help keep the springs of any trailer fresh. It's not a bad idea for storing vehicles for long periods either...
So, would this be helpful for a 'travel trailer'....the kind of thing people use for comfy-camping....sort of like an RV, but the kind that requires being pulled?

A friend recently got one of those things, and I pass on anything helpful that I come across. So, would this help with that kind of trailer (sorry, I'm pretty ignorant of the suspension in those things)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There are many types of people in this world for sure. I love my God, my family, and my country. Those are in order. Not saying you are wrong about your priorities, but, you always have options. They come in the form of choices. For anybody that think I have mine out of order, I don't mind you thinking that at all, its your right. But, before you blast me on mine, you need to know I've buried more friends in my lifetime than anybody should.
I agree with you, my commitments fall in that order as well, but my point was that if I am without my family in an emergency situation, because of work, I may not have the option of getting to them. If I am with them...its a different matter. I would never denounce my God for my family or country.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
So, would this be helpful for a 'travel trailer'....the kind of thing people use for comfy-camping....sort of like an RV, but the kind that requires being pulled?

A friend recently got one of those things, and I pass on anything helpful that I come across. So, would this help with that kind of trailer (sorry, I'm pretty ignorant of the suspension in those things)?
I have no experience with that kind of trailer either. The trailers I have seen this applied to were boat, tent, and utility. All of them had leaf springs, but from my understanding, coil springs have more of a tendency to sag if left loaded for long periods.

I've only ever owned a Seadoo trailer (briefly, as it is boring being the only one with a Seadoo and no one to ride with), and I remember learning the lesson then from my dad and grandpa when storing it through the winter.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
My 2 cents on trailers, if ya guys don't mind. Most trailers need roads. Roads will not be an option for travel when shtf. Off road capable trailers can slow your rate of escape, make concealment more difficult and add to things you need to maintenance or repair. I am not shooting down the idea of trailers by any means, gentlemen, just figure a remedy for those problems and I believe a trailer is an option for survival. I have a trailer, unfortunately it would not make it farther than a rough gravel road. If I could get my hands on one of those military trailers and retro fit it, that would be awesome. There ya go guys and glad to see people are trying to think of this stuff before it has to be done!

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I have no experience with that kind of trailer either. The trailers I have seen this applied to were boat, tent, and utility. All of them had leaf springs, but from my understanding, coil springs have more of a tendency to sag if left loaded for long periods.

I've only ever owned a Seadoo trailer (briefly, as it is boring being the only one with a Seadoo and no one to ride with), and I remember learning the lesson then from my dad and grandpa when storing it through the winter.
OK, cool. Thanks, man.

My 2 cents on trailers, if ya guys don't mind. Most trailers need roads. Roads will not be an option for travel when shtf. Off road capable trailers can slow your rate of escape, make concealment more difficult and add to things you need to maintenance or repair. I am not shooting down the idea of trailers by any means, gentlemen, just figure a remedy for those problems and I believe a trailer is an option for survival. I have a trailer, unfortunately it would not make it farther than a rough gravel road. If I could get my hands on one of those military trailers and retro fit it, that would be awesome. There ya go guys and glad to see people are trying to think of this stuff before it has to be done!
Ya, the recent conversation in this thread regarding trailers really had nothing whatsoever to do with emergency preparedness. I just noticed a helpful tip regarding trailers, and went off on a side conversation to dig for more details. Sorry for instigating the confusion.

Back to guns and ammo :cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Picked up my first Mossberg today, 500 3R, little upset with the movement, side to side, in the pump. My Savage shotguns don't have this this problem. Though everyone at work said to expect this. Anyways, one more added to the stockpile. :)

·
A-Team Moderator
10,358 Posts
Mossberg 500's are great guns! The safety and slide release are in a much better position than the Rem's for us Lefties. I've had one and carried it for over 26 yrs and it still looks brand new.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Thanks for all the posts and ideas re: emergency preparedness.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts