Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

“YOU CAN ATTEMPT ANY CHALLENGE, BUT GOING IN BEING PREPARED FOR ANY OBSTACLE WILL GUARANTEE YOUR OUTCOME TO BE FAVORABLE”

BEFORE: ONE WEEK AFTER PURCHASE

AFTER: AS OF NOW, IT IS BACK IN THE SHOP GETTING MORE MODS

I purchased my 2010 Iceberg FJ in March 2010. A week later I started to break her in.
My first trip was with a group of trail ready jeeps in a foot of snow. I was completely stock, only a week off the showroom floor. Needless to say, I was scared, but couldn’t believe how well my FJ did. Neither could the guys in the jeeps as I kept pace with them and never once got stuck. After the first run, I began to go on increasingly harder trails, until I ran a trail that convinced me to upgrade.
My first upgrades would be a revtek spacer lift I bought from another forum member, and 33” Maxxis Bighorns. These two upgrades alone made it possible to get around on most of the local trails. Here are some pics:

After a couple months I finally got my Cobra 75 CB and a 10lb CO2 tank, only to have it stolen.

THEFT:
I woke up one morning after a camping trip and went out to make sure everything was out of my FJ, only to find it not there. I called the cops and they told me that they would get to me when they had time and that it was most likely on its way to Mexico. After six hours or so I called them again and they told me the same thing. I then turned to my friends on the FJ forum. I had done a lot of runs with people in my area so I knew they could tell my FJ from someone else's, and what do you know. An hour after posting the thread, my buddy Mike aka (MountainMike) posted that he found my FJ parked in an apartment building parking lot. I called the cops to tell them to not bother coming to my house to take my report and to just meet me at the address (that Mike was watching) so I could pick my FJ up. I drove over and recovered what was mine, finding out that my CB and CO2 tank along with my ipod and other stuff had been stolen. But at least I got my truck back. After I posted again what had happened and how Mike had found it for me, the admin's gave mike his own title, "Forum Detective". Thanks Mike. The next day, the news came out to do a story on it all and I tryed to give the forum as much credit as possible as well as Mike. Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-keep-eye-out-update-found-mountain-mike.html

After all that happened I left the country to work in Afghanistan where I started my online shopping spree of never ending mods. But before we got anything else on the FJ my wife and I decided to get it wrapped in vinyl to help protect it from tree limbs and to give it a unique look. Nevertheless, here is the list of mods that are either on the FJ, sitting in the garage, in the mail, or planned for future.

ELECTRONICS:
VIPER 5902 ALARM/REMOTE START W/DIGITAL TILT MOTION SENSOR AND IVISIBEAM FIELD DISTURBANCE SENSOR
COBRA 75 CB W/3’ FIRESTICK
DIRTY PARTS DUEL BATTERY
IPAD 2 WITH NDA431FJ'S RAM MOUNT SETUP HERE

LIGHTING:
PIAA 510 ATP LIGHTS IN BUMPER
PIAA 2100 (4 DRIVING, 2 FOG) ON GOBI RACK
PIAA 520 FOG LIGHTS IN CENTER BUMPER

ARMOR:
DEMELLO HYBRID ROCK RAILS W/MESH INLAY
ROAD ARMOR TITAN GUARD FRONT BUMPER
WARN REAR BUMPER
BUSHWACKER FLARES W/SNORKEL CUT OUT
BUDBUILT COMPLETE 3/16 SET SKIDS
DIGGER LOWER REAR TRAILING ARMS SKIDS
METAL TECH TUBE DOORS

SUSPENSION, WHEELS, AND TIRES:
DICK CEPEK 17X9
ROUGH COUNTRY 6" LIFT
ICON EXT. TRAVEL W/REMOTE RES COILOVERS
35" GOODYEAR KEVLAR'S
LIGHT RACING UCA'S

RECOVERY:
Smitty built XRC 10K LB WINCH W/SYNTHETIC LINE
ARB TREE SAVER
ARB SNATCH BLOCK 9000
ARB TOW STRAP
ARB SPEEDY SEAL TIRE PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT
4 SHACKLES
ARB RECOVERY DAMPER

STORAGE:
GOBI STEALTH ROOF RACK + LADDER
MPAC REAR DOOR RACK
TRASHAROO

SAFETY:
WORK GLOVES
FJ FREEDOM WINDOWS (WAITING FOR INSTALL)
CHEM LIGHTS
MED KIT
SURVIVAL KIT
FIRE EXTENGUISHER
EXPEDITION ONE 2010 WASHER FLUID BOTTLE

EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS:
POWERTANK BRAIDED FLEX HOSE
POWERTANK PRESSURE GUAGE
GERBER AXE
SUREFIRE DEFENDER FLASHLIGHT
550 CORD 100’
100MPH TAPE
VIAIR X'TREME SETUP
AIR HOOK UPS IN JACK COMPARTMENT AND UNDER HOOD

PERFORMANCE:
SAFARI SNORKEL
FJNEWB’S SCUBA DRIVER BREATHER KIT
4.56 GEARS
ARB LOCKER IN FRONT
ELECTRONIC LOCKER IN REAR

SELF MODS:
BLACKED OUT MIRRORS AND DOOR HANDLES
REAR SIDE FIRE EXT. TANK MOUNT
BODY MOUNT CHOP

PLANNED, NEAR FUTURE:
THINKING ON THE REAR 3 LINK FROM METAL TECH
ROTOPAX FUEL AND WATER CANS, WHEN I GET HOME AND WILL ACTUALLY NEED THEM
DVD/NAV UNIT ONCE I FIGURE OUT THE BEST ONE TO GET

MORE PICS:

VIDEOS:

FORUM SUPPORTING VENDORS USED IN BUILD-UP:
DEMELLO OFFROAD
EXPEDITION ONE
HUMMER GEAR SALES
ICON VEHICHLE DYNAMICS
MAN-A-FRE
METAL-TECH
ROUGH COUNTRY
SPRINGTALE SOLUTIONS
TOP GUN CUSTOMZ

THANKS FOR LOOKING, AND ALL THOUGHTS WELCOME​

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
Re: Army_cruiser's "iron cross"

Awesome! I was wondering when you were going to start your build thread. FJ looks sick, and I am anxious to see rest of your build. Excellent start, and I can tell you will have one of the premier FJs not only in Colorado but out of the whole forum. Can't wait to see it in person. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

MODS

DEMELLO HYBRID SLIDERS

GOODYEAR KEVLARS 35" WITH DI(K CEPEK 17" AND BUSHWACKER POCKET

ICON EXT. TRAVEL W/REMOTE RES. COILOVERS

GOBI STEALTH RACK WITH 6 PIAA 5100 LIGHTS AND GOBI LADDER

EXPEDITION ONE WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID BOTTLE

LITE RACING UCA'S

ROAD ARMOUR FRONT BUMPER WITH PIAA 510'S AND PIAA 520'S

VIAIR X'TREME WITH HOOK UP IN REAR COMPARTMENT AND UNDER HOOD

BUDBUILT SKIDS ALL AROUND

THREAD WORKZ TRAIL FLAG

MORE TO COME!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

Looks great!! i really like the Cross on the hood. One thing about it now... if it gets stolen again... it will be even easier to spot! :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,957 Posts

Nice build! I like the orange.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Looks great!! i really like the Cross on the hood. One thing about it now... if it gets stolen again... it will be even easier to spot! :lol:
thats for sure. Along with the Viper alarm I think I will put a lo-jack or something on it. If nothing else, Mike lives in town. that works better than any of them.:lol:

·
Registered
477 Posts

Nice! The orange really does set the rig off well.

I've been away from the forum for awhile, but just read all 15 pages of your 'stolen' thread. Glad it had a happy ending.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Nice! The orange really does set the rig off well.

I've been away from the forum for awhile, but just read all 15 pages of your 'stolen' thread. Glad it had a happy ending.
thanks. we like it so much that I doubt we will even use it a couple years before we get it painted that way.

Quick update: Gobi rack and latter are on but stuck in denver till its safe to get around.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

did they put them on at the Gobi Factory? Its just down the street from me...Maybe I will have to go take a peek.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

You sorta stole my Thunder, me and the wife were considering painting my rig house of color's, orange Pearl so it would be one of a kind. hadnt done it yet as I will be the one laying down the paint, but Im current out the area for several months for work...I know its a different orange but now i will just be copying yours....:lol: It really does look Awesome...

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You sorta stole my Thunder, me and the wife were considering painting my rig house of color's, orange Pearl so it would be one of a kind. hadnt done it yet as I will be the one laying down the paint, but Im current out the area for several months for work...I know its a different orange but now i will just be copying yours....:lol: It really does look Awesome...
Thats alright, you can lay claim that you were the first one actually painted that color. My wife and I originally put the wrap on to keep the value of the stock color and so the trees tear the vinyl up and not the body, but we have already decided that in a few years when the vinyl starts to wear out, we are just going to paint it this color. It will look a lot better painted. Plus, I'm not the type to say people copy me. Because then I would have to look at all the mods I do and figure out who I copied.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts

:rofl::rofl:
Oh if we decide to do it it will be done! Actually After seeing your wrap Im now torn. The cost of the paint alone (even at My cost) will be more than the wrap, as it has real Pearl in it. Plus then I will be so paraniod about scratching it..:mecry: The vinal may be the best choice!

I never worry about coping or being the first.. in this industry very few things are original any more.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

:rofl::rofl:
Oh if we decide to do it it will be done! Actually After seeing your wrap Im now torn. The cost of the paint alone (even at My cost) will be more than the wrap, as it has real Pearl in it. Plus then I will be so paraniod about scratching it..:mecry: The vinal may be the best choice!

I never worry about coping or being the first.. in this industry very few things are original any more.:cheers:
The only real disadvantage of the vinyl is that they cant get it in all the nooks and door jams. So you end up in my case being able to see white stripes in the cracks. But your right about the paint, after spending that much money I would be scared to scratch it all up. I agree about few things being original. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I think my new Demello Hybrid Rock Rails with custom mesh inlay came in today. Gotta love Demmelo's stuff. Have to get my wife to take some pictures. As soon as the truck gets back from denver with the rack, I'll get them on.

·
Registered
354 Posts

What's the cost for the wrap? I'm thinking about just doing the roof in black or maybe even red.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

One of the guys in Colorado said that he was quoted around a grand or a little over for just the roof. total wrap with time put into graphics was about 2.5k.

1 - 20 of 400 Posts