Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos as promised. I originally was going to purchase the E-2 but the wife said we needed King beds and the pull out. The FJ pulls it ok but either a new Tundra or a Supercharger will be the next discussion with the wife.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Great looking rig! Couple of questions..
Are you using a weight distubuting hitch? Also, are you loading the front platform with anything? I'm guessing an ATV would be way to much hitch weight for the Fj.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "cage" is the ramps for loading a quad or motorcycles. Most people use it for extra storage. I plan on installing a lockable diamond plate truck box and use the rest for campfire wood, coolers and camping gear. This thing is quite a beast at 21'10". However, it does fit in my garage!
BendFJ

Is the front end caged-in area just for storage?
It looks like it adds a lot to the length.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great question. Initially I bought the load leveling hitch when I purchased the trailer. The installer said the Toyota hitch did not specify if you could use that type of hitch. He says most hitches say right on them. So, I drove home (3 Hours over the Mt Hood pass) without the load leveler on. It seemed to do fine.
I'm loading the front with camping gear for now. Also, the roof is going to support my 14ft aluminum fishing boat.

Great looking rig! Couple of questions..
Are you using a weight distubuting hitch? Also, are you loading the front platform with anything? I'm guessing an ATV would be way to much hitch weight for the Fj.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Great question. Initially I bought the load leveling hitch when I purchased the trailer. The installer said the Toyota hitch did not specify if you could use that type of hitch. He says most hitches say right on them. So, I drove home (3 Hours over the Mt Hood pass) without the load leveler on. Of course, it didn't have any weight on the tongue. So... a dealer here in Bend is going to find out if I can use the factory hitch or have to change out to a hitch that bolts on to the frame . I inspected the hitch today and noticed it is just a cross member that attaches to the frame rails. It must be a strong construct if it can handle 5000lbs and 500lbs tongue weight. I'll post up on the hitch when I find out more details.
I'm loading the front with camping gear for now. Also, the roof is going to support my 14ft aluminum fishing boat.
The factory hitch does attach to the frame. That crossmember your refering to is part of the frame and is boxed and welded just like the rest of the frame is. There should be no reason you shouldn't be able to use the factory toyota hitch reciever with a wieght distributing hitch . Aloso, you meantioned it towed the trailer "ok". What do you feel it needs? More power? Control?
I tow a 14x7 tanduem axle enclosed trailer. When loaded with tools and cargo (Its basicly a mobile shop) it weights in at a tad under 4K. Power is really fine. Gets up and goes fairly well, but it does kick around the Fj a bit.

What is the weight limit you can carry on the roof of the trailer? The evo III sounds like a preety versatile trailer.

Oh, how do you like your Expedtion one bumper??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FJCRUSR uses the load leveling hitch as well without any issues. I'm going to make sure just in case.
The FJ pulls the trailer fine and the trailer doesn't push it around. It just feels like you have quite a bit of weight behind you. I guess if it was a big issue, I'd pull it with my 100 series.
The '08 Fleetwoods have a fiberglass roof with internal frame allowing the bars to carry quite a bit of weight without having roof sag. My boat is under 300lbs and the dealer said that would be just fine.
I love the Expedition One bumper but it has never quite fit to my satisfaction. I have a larger gap on the passengers side between the bumper and close to the turn signal. I haven't talked to James about it either. So no disrespect. Maybe it was my installation. I'm looking forward to the Expedition One rear bumper. I might have to take a road trip to pick one up and have my front looked at.

The factory hitch does attach to the frame. That crossmember your refering to is part of the frame and is boxed and welded just like the rest of the frame is. There should be no reason you shouldn't be able to use the factory toyota hitch reciever with a wieght distributing hitch . Aloso, you meantioned it towed the trailer "ok". What do you feel it needs? More power? Control?
I tow a 14x7 tanduem axle enclosed trailer. When loaded with tools and cargo (Its basicly a mobile shop) it weights in at a tad under 4K. Power is really fine. Gets up and goes fairly well, but it does kick around the Fj a bit.

What is the weight limit you can carry on the roof of the trailer? The evo III sounds like a preety versatile trailer.

Oh, how do you like your Expedtion one bumper??

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Very nice. That's one my favorites. Flexible setup and not too difficult to tow.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks Great with the FJ!!!:rocker: Definitely camping in luxury!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to make sure that it fit in my garage because of our neighborhood CCNR's . I also had to rent a 10x20 storage unit to put my small boad and trailer ( and some other crap) Now I have about 2 feet to spare!
BendFJ

I really like this one but the lenght is not for me cuz I I simply dont have a place to store it.. But looks good behind an FJ

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had to make sure that it fit in my garage because of our neighborhood CCNR's . I also had to rent a 10x20 storage unit to put my small boad and trailer ( and some other crap) Now I have about 2 feet to spare!
BendFJ
Its a good thing that you got it to fit.. Sometimes those HOA's can be a pain in the rear

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Just wait till the wife finds out you have 2 extra feet left for storage. Gone in a heart beat.

I built a 3 car garrage and two storage sheds, in a period of three years she has amassed so much junk I can barely get the truck in the garage.

Pack rats I tell you.

Trailer looks good, use the equalizer hitch for sure and the electric brakes, all is well until you have an emergency.

Be safe and enjoy the heck out of it. Hit the Sisters and do some camping young man.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That is definetly a sweet trailer. Forgive me for asking but would you mind telling us the cost?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was quoted $12,920 for the E-2 with a roof rack and roof A/C. I spent more in the parts area to outfit it. Keep in mind that after sitting in the slide out dining area, I upgraded to the E-3 for $1K more but axed the A/C to keep costs down. This trailer's MSRP is almost $19K.
I was in the market for the E-2 since I found a used one (3x) on craigslist in Eugene, OR. The '06 model was listed for $9K however this model was the first model year which had a aluminum roof. Aluminum roofs tend to sag if you put A/C or anything heavy on them. Fleetwood finally redesigned it after many roof leaks. After speaking with the dealership, I chose the "08 model with the fiberglass roof and internal frame as well as a track system for the yakima racks.
If a warranty is important to you, you get one with a new purchase. Feel free to ask anymore questions.
BendFJ
That is definetly a sweet trailer. Forgive me for asking but would you mind telling us the cost?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.