Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick up some ASFIR skids from John at Auburn car repair and offroad and I couldn't be happier with the product. All aluminum except the transmission skid to help keep the weight down. All in all a perfect addition to the old FJ! Figured I would post some pics since I couldn't find a whole lot of info on them out there.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Nice looking! :D

I contacted that company directly when I was in the market. They must have been in some transitional state as it took them almost 8 months to return my emails. They did apologized for taking so long and asked if I was still in the market. I laughed and deleted the email.

Expensive units but well built and tested by military vehicles worldwide.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I was stoked to find these preowned since I had been looking at the budbuilts and was going to be over 1k and add all that extra weight. Couldn't be happier with the asfir setup!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Ya I was stoked to find these preowned ....
AH ha! :lol: I was about to say they looked a but rough for being new.... Just thought they were really "raw" like that.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I've been running them for a year now (purchased new), love the looks of them and they have done there job very well. With that said they have been beat up pretty good and I will be replacing them with steel skids. The aluminum just doesn't handle the rocks very well. The only other issue I don't like is the area where the bolts go into, the metal area around it is not recessed like the another brand sold here on the forum.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've been running them for a year now (purchased new), love the looks of them and they have done there job very well. With that said they have been beat up pretty good and I will be replacing them with steel skids. The aluminum just doesn't handle the rocks very well. The only other issue I don't like is the area where the bolts go into, the metal area around it is not recessed like the another brand sold here on the forum.
For those of us that use our FJ's are daily drivers(and are concerned about weight) would you suggest steel for some components and aluminum for others?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya they are crazy expensive new and everything I have bought I either got at cost or bought used. I'm a cheap ass like that. The hardware location would be my only complaint either than the aluminum does gouge up on the rocks. A couple of the scrapes you see on there I just put in them. I may slap a thin layer of hdpe on them later down the road if I see its too much of a issue.

For me, my rig is getting so heavy I'm trying to put it on a diet and gain back some mpg and power. Next step is a supercharger...if anyone has a good deal on one...:cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have some asfir stuff but i chose ricochet skids. Their mounting bolts are recessed for one. The crossmember for the asfir transfer case skid looks like an afterthought and i think it would be easy to catch on something.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
For those of us that use our FJ's are daily drivers(and are concerned about weight) would you suggest steel for some components and aluminum for others?
Sorry for the delay in getting back. My truck is a daily driver and I put 35K miles on it every year. I don't consider the weight to be an issue since its not a race truck. I look at it as no more than having a full time passenger in the truck. I don't see any issue with mixing the two, I would do the fuel tank in alum and the rest steel. It also depends on what your doing with the truck, if it is street use only the stock skids are fine! I ran stock skids two years at Moab, Summit and Wheeltoberfest....there wasn't much left :lol:. If your doing "adventure" travel, back country roads and the such alum is fine. If your doing rocks IMHO steel is the only way to go. My first event with the ASFIR skids was wheeltoberfest and bent them first trail run out.

Back to the weight issue, i carry my cargo box in the back with everything except the hi lift with me everyday, thats a good 60#'s. I just don't see it being an issue. If the steel skids weigh 150# plus my cargo box 60#, that's still less than both of my dogs riding with me! :rofl:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back. My truck is a daily driver and I put 35K miles on it every year. I don't consider the weight to be an issue since its not a race truck. I look at it as no more than having a full time passenger in the truck. I don't see any issue with mixing the two, I would do the fuel tank in alum and the rest steel. It also depends on what your doing with the truck, if it is street use only the stock skids are fine! I ran stock skids two years at Moab, Summit and Wheeltoberfest....there wasn't much left :lol:. If your doing "adventure" travel, back country roads and the such alum is fine. If your doing rocks IMHO steel is the only way to go. My first event with the ASFIR skids was wheeltoberfest and bent them first trail run out.

Back to the weight issue, i carry my cargo box in the back with everything except the hi lift with me everyday, thats a good 60#'s. I just don't see it being an issue. If the steel skids weigh 150# plus my cargo box 60#, that's still less than both of my dogs riding with me! :rofl:
No problem thanks a bunch for your input, we do allot of road trips to and drive across country and back at least once a year so gas fuel costs are an issue.

Mostly just an adventure vehicle but we do live in Utah in the winters so we plan to spend a few weekends down and around Moab\Canyonlands doing some off road camping.....I don't see us doing more than level 1 or 2 trails.

It's an adventure\destination vehicle.....as far as terrain most of our driving will be muddy rocky forest\mountain\fire roads I have no plans to purposely do any major "rock crawling" or anything like that but the chances of us traversing logs, stumps, streams, nasty ruts, smaller rocks and stuff like that from time to time is high so we want to be protected so we can make it back home.

Thinking heavy duty ricochet skids(since were in Utah anyways) right now but still asking around and doing research, thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
No problem thanks a bunch for your input, we do allot of road trips to and drive across country and back at least once a year so gas fuel costs are an issue.

Mostly just an adventure vehicle but we do live in Utah in the winters so we plan to spend a few weekends down and around Moab\Canyonlands doing some off road camping.....I don't see us doing more than level 1 or 2 trails.

It's an adventure\destination vehicle.....as far as terrain most of our driving will be muddy rocky forest\mountain\fire roads I have no plans to purposely do any major "rock crawling" or anything like that but the chances of us traversing logs, stumps, streams, nasty ruts, smaller rocks and stuff like that from time to time is high so we want to be protected so we can make it back home.

Thinking heavy duty ricochet skids(since were in Utah anyways) right now but still asking around and doing research, thanks again for your input.
Glad to be of help. :bigthumb: I think the Ricochet skids will be more than adequate for your needs and I here they are a great company to deal with! Let us know what you do!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got mine 7 days after I ordered my only complaint is the finish on their logo but that’s just cosmetic. Great for the price.
image.jpg

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Kind of disturbing that a supplier would let a product out the door with that grotesque a cosmetic defect on his LOGO ... I mean, what's the purpose of spending the time money to engrave your corporate logo on the item except to advertise the appearance and quality of the product??

You got a 25% discount because of the defect, correct?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts