Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - you're not going to believe this story, but it has a happy ending.

I've been shopping seriously for my FJ for the last 2 months. I've been dealing mostly via phone & email, talking to 5-6 dealers in my local area to find the best price on a 2008. I get a call from the dealership where I bought my Scion (and have had it serviced for 3 years) that they have a screaming deal for me on a Brass Hat vehicle. This is one that some Toyota manager has been driving around, and the dealership sells it at a discount when he's done. They quoted me a good price over the phone, so I made an appointment to go see it the next day.

When I arrive, the car is up on a display rack, and it takes them maybe 20 minutes of fooling around to find the keys and get it down. When it's finally down, I see it is fairly dirty inside, including muddy footprints. The back is scuffed and scratched up like someone has been sliding gear across the bumper instead of lifting it. The truck is yellow, (I really wanted black), 5k miles and doesn't have a roof rack, which I needed.

It's not my top choice, but it seems like they really want to get rid of it, so I figure we could come to a decent deal that will make me forget about it being the wrong color, dirty, and a bit 'used'. The price they quoted me was a 'good' price, but not enough to make me sign my name right away. So into the office we go, where I tell them that their price is too close to a 2008 with zero miles to justify, and ask what they can do. They tell me they cannot deal at all, bottom has been quoted. So I sit there & chat for a while and keep working it, staying friendly but letting them know that they needed to widen the spread between this 'new' truck with 5k miles and one with zero miles. I also really wanted a roof rack, which they told me would add $900 to the price... and promising that was invoice for the part and lowest possible install fee they could get.

We haggled back and forth, and I finally got them to come down just $300. It still wasn't a price I was thrilled with, but I was getting tired at this point and worn down (after 2 hours in the office), and had pretty much talked myself into just buying it. So I said - ok, just swap the carpet mats out for Toyota rubber mats, toss in my next 3 oil changes, and we've got a deal. The salesman, who was getting pretty tired as well I think, gets up to go talk to his manager. When the boss comes in, he says... You know, I'm really reconsidering our offer. Bobby has been working really hard for this sale, but I think it's best if you just went somewhere else... it sounds like you have plenty of options.

Whaaat? Is that insane? I literally had agreed to the price, and was asking for different floor mats and a couple oil changes. Already had my own bank-approved financing and everything ready to go. I was shocked, and said - you know I've been sitting here for the last 2 hours, I really think we can work something out. Sales manager answers, "well, i just dont think that's going to happen."

So did they get sellers remorse? Realize they were giving it away too cheap? I've never heard of this happening before!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here's the happy ending...

I go home and start surfing around Craigslist, and find a 2007 FJ that has just been traded in at an Acura dealership about 2 hrs away. The truck has 15k miles, black, CQ, upgrade #1, roof rack, skid plate, TRD exhaust, the side airbags, and it's in gleaming immaculate condition. It looked twice as nice as the 2008 I almost bought with only 5k miles... Even came with 2 years of dealer-paid servicing!

I paid about $23k for this loaded FJ which was exactly what I wanted, and drove it home proudly. I feel like taking it over to that other dealership and doing donuts on their lawn! Needless to say I wont be recommending them or taking my Scion or new FJ there for service.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me make an educated purchase that I'm 110% thrilled with!!

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
My guess is they had someone else on the hook for a better price, told you to buzz off and sold it to the other person who didn't know any better. Wouldn't be the first time I'd actually seen that happen and one reason I only sold cars for a month way back when.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what price did they want it for?
The asking price was $23,700 + $900 if you wanted a roof rack. Not a bad price, but considering it had 5,500 miles on it, I was looking for something a little better. Especially when I was being quoted $25,500 for a brand new 2008 elsewhere.

the dealership is called Folsom Lake and they're in the sacramento, CA area. As far as i know it's still there if someone wants it!

And yeah I think you're right -- they probably had someone else they could sell it to for more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some times I think these guys think they can push you into a decision or something. I stopped at a dealer when I was looking for mine. I wanted silver and had trouble finding one that color. I was passing a dealership one afternoon and they had 3 silvers on the lot that had just arrived (still had not been set up for sale). I stopped and one had all the options I wanted. I was driving my car which I intended to keep. The sales guy asked about a trade and I said I had a pickup that I might trade if it was a good deal. I went home got the truck and was back in an hour. I walked in and the sales guy said sorry that FJ is sold and GONE. Said some guy walked in right after me wanted it, bought it and drove it home. I have bought a few cars in my life and have never been able to get in, buy and be gone with the car in an hour. Anyhow he tries to sell me on one that didn't have the options I want or another color. I said no and left. Two weeks later I drive by and see the FJ setting on the lot. For grins I went in and asked another saleman when they got it in, he says 2 weeks ago. I told him the story about being told it was sold and gone. He asked if I wanted to buy it now and I told him H*** no. I am convinced that other sales guy thought he could make me feel like I had to by something I didn't want NOW or I wouldn't get a silver one at all because they were flying off of the lot so fast.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
$900 for a roof rack? That's insane.

I'm glad you were able to find a more satisfying FJ somewhere else. Those guys lost out.

I'll be in the area Thursday. Too bad I won't be in my scratched up, heavily modded truck. It would be fun to say, "Hey, I read about you guys on an internet forum. You're looking pretty stupid about now."

Hmm...on second thought, I might do it anyway. I'll be in a Highlander.

M

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sweet story, great ending but that dealership sounds like pure crap, I don't care if YOU were the jerk, they should still be professional in telling you that the deal would not work. I'd go shake his hand and thank him for keeping you from making the mistake of doing business with him.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You will be happier now that you got what you wanted and did not settle for the other one anyway. You will probably keep it for a long time. Glad you found the one with the options and the color you were looking for.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
When a door is closed, just look around--a window is wide open!

Nice job waiting for the best color of all...................BD RULES!~

:rocker:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yeah they gave me the $900 for roof rack option.......but if you order one through parts after you buy truck it is like $600-700....

If I had to do it all over would have taken mine without rack and bought one I ended up with anyhow..the Baja Rack...but then again my dealership forgot to charge me for the rack so I felt like I made out best. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good Dealin Stand Your Ground....BD Rule

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
that's the first time i've heard of a dealer turning a potential buyer away....wow...
That's funny, we ask customers to leave all the time.. It happens when you ask for too much, and aren't reasonable.. It all depends on how you delt with them. Since we only have one Side of the story and that side is the side of who was pushing to pay as little as possible. We don't really know what was actually said and in the mannor in which it was said..

Unless you have a recording of the exact conservation from start to finish, we can never really know why the Sales manager asked you to leave.. There was a reason and a good one, especially in this market..

There is a lot more to this story than what the author is stating, as it is his story, and of course, He is never going to make himself out to be the bad guy here...

Oh, and Yes, the Roof Rack is 670.00 plus install, we still have to put it together. So 900.00 depending on the hourly rate at that dealership isn't out of the question, and he did say "ABOUT" that could mean 850 to 900.

Just my .02, but believe me there is more to this story.. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
That is ridiculous man, I'm glad you found your FJ and that is all over with, now you can start moddin and wheelin!

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
All people get tired of getting beat up.

Or beat down as it seems.

But as the previous poster said there is more to the story I am sure, but it certainly could be on the dealership side.

I would buy a used truck before I would ever by another manager vehicle. I bought a new FX4 150 a few years ago. They marked it down 1000.00 bucks, but it was what I wanted. Supposed to have had 4800 miles on it, after having it awhile I noticed it had been wrecked and repainted, parts that should have been replaced that were not. Then they denied it had been wrecked. How do you prove it. Without a legal war.

I think you made the right choice. You got what you wanted, and the color you wanted. Congrats, and stay away from the place. Put a sticker on your truck of where you bought it at to send customer there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts