Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Some dealerships are good, others are bad. I've dealt with both. Usually karma takes hold of the bad ones. The bottom line is that NONE of them have anything to sell but decency and service because you can buy the same FJ anywhere in the Lower 48.

The last time I walked on a lot to buy, negotiated a fair deal with the salesman (fair for all, trust me), the manager came over and jacked the price up. I didn't turn into Scary Larry as happens at times, but stood up & told my wife we were leaving. He shouted (in his Middle Eastern accent) that I couldn't buy a silver Honda CRV like that anywhere else.

The next day I walked into the credit union and had their buying service get me the best price. I saved $500 over what my best price was with the dealer the day before - no hassles, no sweaty obnoxious [email protected] getting in my face.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The asking price was $23,700 + $900 if you wanted a roof rack. Not a bad price, but considering it had 5,500 miles on it, I was looking for something a little better. Especially when I was being quoted $25,500 for a brand new 2008 elsewhere.

the dealership is called Folsom Lake and they're in the sacramento, CA area. As far as i know it's still there if someone wants it!

And yeah I think you're right -- they probably had someone else they could sell it to for more.
You're in my area, all of the folsom lake dealerships have bad reputations that way. You should have driven up the hill to Placerville. My buddy went thru the same BS with the FL ford dealer.. I told him to go up the hill to the (now gone) ford dealer. He got a better truck for a LOT better price - he was stoked.
Anyway welcome to the forums..:bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
The asking price was $23,700 + $900 if you wanted a roof rack. Not a bad price, but considering it had 5,500 miles on it, I was looking for something a little better. Especially when I was being quoted $25,500 for a brand new 2008 elsewhere.

the dealership is called Folsom Lake and they're in the sacramento, CA area. As far as i know it's still there if someone wants it!

And yeah I think you're right -- they probably had someone else they could sell it to for more.
those guys are idiots. i was 19 when i bought my FJ in 2006. had a check in my pocket for the car, which they didnt know. just treated me like a stupid kid who's dreaming... elk grove toyota was the only dealership that treated me right.

toyota of stockton learned a lesson with me. they didnt take me seriously. i was sure to seek out the manager who treated me like crap when i took my car in for its first service. when i went back last year for a new truck, they did the same thing at stockton. i told them that elk grove should be thanking them for all the business they are giving them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Glad everything worked out in your favor:bigthumb:

Donuts is a must but do them in the Bosses yard:lol:
Yea my(former) dealership has a problem with over charging for service. They decided to charge me $120 for synthetic gear oil for the diffs (Thats twice retail). I ran over to autozone two blocks away, bought the same amount of synthetic gear oil, then went back and gave it to them and demanded my refund. They declined. That's when I decided to take a spin in their manicured lawn.

These days I don't deal with that dealership.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Where are all the posts about how it's best to sit down with your dealer and establish a relationship? Hmmmmm????

We don't need a "...recording of the exact conversation from start to finish..." to know that this is all too common in the industry. Dealers like this will wither and die with the help of like-minded people trading accurate accounts of their experiences on forums like this.

Mddygrrl...I hope you do that Highlander drive-by!! :rofl:

2max...Enjoy your great new FJ and welcome!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes there are good and bad sales people. Walk from the bad ones and deal with the good ones. Glad to hear you got a good deal.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Whether it's car dealers, mortgage brokers, real estate agents, lawyers, or any other professional that's trying to spread my cheeks, I try to look for the nice ones. No flashy jewelry or clothing, doesn't glom onto you and call excessively, is friendly but doesn't try to be your new best friend. I'm usually willing to pay more with them, as some sort of reward I guess for not being a d0uche. The pressure is pretty high when you see what being a jerk pays.

If I do wind up with a jerk, I tell them that I'm a psychologist with [local behavorial health institution]. I'll then point out the first 3 or four mind games they try (and use so often they don't even realize it's a mind game anymore), and let them know what they *think* I should feel but how I really just feel disappointed for them instead at using such a poor trick. Add in a couple of non sequiturs ("do you know if the chair I'm sitting in is compliant with California Fire Retardant Code 117? Could you check with your manager please?"). Then we have a brief discussion about their freudian phallic obsession before I get shuffled to someone else. Kind of handy, because it's a profession that makes money, but not many people want to negotiate with them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think I was asked to leave a dealership 3 times when I was looking for mine, but in the end I got the truck I wanted for the price I wanted to pay. Its all in how long you are willing to wait and how far you are willing to take the negotiation, someone has to break just make sure your not the one who does.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
my girlfriend is driving a nissan versa right now because the toyota dealership tried to sell us a corolla for 19 grand.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
You wouldn't happen to remember the sales associates name would you????

·
Registered
216 Posts
welcome, you did the same thing I do. I vote with my check book. Now that you have it take it back to that dealership for factory service (if there is any) and make sure to say hi. good luck.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
So here's the happy ending...

I go home and start surfing around Craigslist, and find a 2007 FJ that has just been traded in at an Acura dealership about 2 hrs away. The truck has 15k miles, black, CQ, upgrade #1, roof rack, skid plate, TRD exhaust, the side airbags, and it's in gleaming immaculate condition. It looked twice as nice as the 2008 I almost bought with only 5k miles... Even came with 2 years of dealer-paid servicing!

I paid about $23k for this loaded FJ which was exactly what I wanted, and drove it home proudly. I feel like taking it over to that other dealership and doing donuts on their lawn! Needless to say I wont be recommending them or taking my Scion or new FJ there for service.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me make an educated purchase that I'm 110% thrilled with!!

Bring it in for an oil change...and ask to see the general manager. Say look what I found, perhaps you should have sold me the one you have.

then leave and don't ever go back !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts