Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Asked to leave dealership!!

6K views 32 replies 30 participants last post by  thenookie 
#1 ·
Guys - you're not going to believe this story, but it has a happy ending.

I've been shopping seriously for my FJ for the last 2 months. I've been dealing mostly via phone & email, talking to 5-6 dealers in my local area to find the best price on a 2008. I get a call from the dealership where I bought my Scion (and have had it serviced for 3 years) that they have a screaming deal for me on a Brass Hat vehicle. This is one that some Toyota manager has been driving around, and the dealership sells it at a discount when he's done. They quoted me a good price over the phone, so I made an appointment to go see it the next day.

When I arrive, the car is up on a display rack, and it takes them maybe 20 minutes of fooling around to find the keys and get it down. When it's finally down, I see it is fairly dirty inside, including muddy footprints. The back is scuffed and scratched up like someone has been sliding gear across the bumper instead of lifting it. The truck is yellow, (I really wanted black), 5k miles and doesn't have a roof rack, which I needed.

It's not my top choice, but it seems like they really want to get rid of it, so I figure we could come to a decent deal that will make me forget about it being the wrong color, dirty, and a bit 'used'. The price they quoted me was a 'good' price, but not enough to make me sign my name right away. So into the office we go, where I tell them that their price is too close to a 2008 with zero miles to justify, and ask what they can do. They tell me they cannot deal at all, bottom has been quoted. So I sit there & chat for a while and keep working it, staying friendly but letting them know that they needed to widen the spread between this 'new' truck with 5k miles and one with zero miles. I also really wanted a roof rack, which they told me would add $900 to the price... and promising that was invoice for the part and lowest possible install fee they could get.

We haggled back and forth, and I finally got them to come down just $300. It still wasn't a price I was thrilled with, but I was getting tired at this point and worn down (after 2 hours in the office), and had pretty much talked myself into just buying it. So I said - ok, just swap the carpet mats out for Toyota rubber mats, toss in my next 3 oil changes, and we've got a deal. The salesman, who was getting pretty tired as well I think, gets up to go talk to his manager. When the boss comes in, he says... You know, I'm really reconsidering our offer. Bobby has been working really hard for this sale, but I think it's best if you just went somewhere else... it sounds like you have plenty of options.

Whaaat? Is that insane? I literally had agreed to the price, and was asking for different floor mats and a couple oil changes. Already had my own bank-approved financing and everything ready to go. I was shocked, and said - you know I've been sitting here for the last 2 hours, I really think we can work something out. Sales manager answers, "well, i just dont think that's going to happen."

So did they get sellers remorse? Realize they were giving it away too cheap? I've never heard of this happening before!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.