Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know anything about 4x4's, is an automatic transmission ok for offroad, or is a manual superior?

I've pretty much only owned sports cars and 2WD trucks, anyone I've known with a 4x4 always had manual, and then another shifter for 4WD. How does it work with AT, just more selections or two selectors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
The major downside with AT in 4x4 applications is the torque converter heating up and in turn, heating up the auto trans fluid. Torque converters generate a tremendous amount of heat. Lots of part throttle high resistance driving (such as slow climbing of rocks, etc) are terribly hard on the TC and tranny.

If you are only doing light off road driving, nothing too serious, you'll be fine. If you plan to get serious and do alot of off roading, your better off with a manual transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah.

I wonder if upgraded fluid and a cooler will be enough to solve this, or do you need an upgraded TC?

I assume offroad with a manual you'll probably be putting tremendous stress on the clutch as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
I don't really get clutch happy when I am crawling around in the woods. I put it in low 4wd and keep it in 1st gear. It's geared so low that it just inches along at like half a mile an hour, so I don't even need the clutch unless I am going to shift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
ekool said:
If you are only doing light off road driving, nothing too serious, you'll be fine. If you plan to get serious and do alot of off roading, your better off with a manual transmission.
I have an auto in Zilla and I can tell you for rock crawlin purposes I prefer it to a manual any day!





Much more controlled in the rocks with the auto!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
pigmY said:
I assume offroad with a manual you'll probably be putting tremendous stress on the clutch as well.
EXACTLY! I'd be more worried smokin a clutch in a manual before I would the fluid in an auto getting too warm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Then you obviously don't know how to drive a stick. :eek:

Just kidding. I haven't seen where you go wheelin, so I can't go making assumptions so absurd. ;) But seriously.
 

·
Official Field Agent
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
just throw a great big ATF cooler on it and you should be good to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Topless4runner said:
just throw a great big ATF cooler on it and you should be good to go.
Tranny coolers work wonders...so do power steering coolers! I've been pushing 40" meats and over (currently 42's) for 6 years now on Zilla and have had zero problems with my A/T. Of coarse you gotta make sure you get your gearing correct running big tires or you will definitely have problems. Running a cooler on it is most definitely a smart move though. Maybe the TRD or Off-Road (or whatever the hell they end up calling it) package FJC will come with a tranny cooler on the A/T's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Tone said:
Then you obviously don't know how to drive a stick. :eek:

Just kidding. I haven't seen where you go wheelin, so I can't go making assumptions so absurd. ;) But seriously.
You goto Paragon like you said you wanted to and you'll see where I wheel. Just go take a look at the black and red rated trails out there! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
TacoTone v. Zilla, I'd love to see that massacre.

For the rest of us casual recreational wheelin types, I wouldn't think a tranny cooler would be neccessary. Here's a thought. The towing package comes with a tranny cooler doesn't it? I know my Tundra did. Would that help while crawling or does it need more airflow to be effective?

I don't get why anyone would want a manual tranny anymore except on a sports car. I really do not get it. You're not a girl if you drive an auto.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
FWIW

"With automatic-transmission models, FJ Cruiser gets a part-time transfer case. When the transfer cases are in high range, their output ratio is 1:1. When shifted into low range, their gear ratio is 2.566:1. With the automatic transmission, the FJ Cruiser's crawl ratio is 33.76:1. With the manual transmission, the crawl ratio is 41.84:1, a fact that helped the FJ Cruiser traverse California's famed Rubicon Trail last September."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Posted on another board by powderpig

You forgot the torque multiplyier of the torque converter. i have no idea of its factor, but with alot of the toyota torque converters it usually around 1.8 or so to one. So that taken in to consideration it would be around 60.49 to one. no burned clutches. it also has a better overdrive for better consumption of fuel at same speeds. Auto rule for wheeling tight suff, but is hard on brakes on the down hill. manuals are really good for expedition stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
You really can't go wrong either way as this is a personal call. I personally like my Auto (only cuz it only comes in it) and I do a variety of trails from the desert to the rocks.

If you plan to do the crazy rock crawling stuff, just add a crawl box and you can do away w/ the measly 33.76:1 / 41.84:1 ratios completely and jump up to the 150-200's:1!

To be safe, add a tranny and power steering cooler as it's always good to be proactive :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
TACOZILLA said:
You goto Paragon like you said you wanted to and you'll see where I wheel. Just go take a look at the black and red rated trails out there! :)
I'd like to go to paragon, probably in the spring. Are there any fun trails for my bone stock Taco? Would I make in back in one piece if I attempted the black or red trails? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Pancho said:
TacoTone v. Zilla, I'd love to see that massacre.

I don't get why anyone would want a manual tranny anymore except on a sports car. I really do not get it. You're not a girl if you drive an auto.
I like my manual because I can do wicked powerslides and burnouts. :D
I like to go drifting in the snow or mud, and it's easier with an MT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
pigmY said:
I plan on do more trail/mud/hill driving not rock climbing. I guess I should be fine with AT.
You would be fine with an Auto for rock crawling but yes, you should be fine with an auto for trail/mud/hill driving as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Tone said:
I'd like to go to paragon, probably in the spring. Are there any fun trails for my bone stock Taco? Would I make in back in one piece if I attempted the black or red trails? :D
The guides won't even let you near the blacks and reds in your stocker! :)

There are stock trails out there for you to enjoy though.
 

·
Official Field Agent
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Pancho said:
TacoTone v. Zilla, I'd love to see that massacre.

For the rest of us casual recreational wheelin types, I wouldn't think a tranny cooler would be neccessary. Here's a thought. The towing package comes with a tranny cooler doesn't it? I know my Tundra did. Would that help while crawling or does it need more airflow to be effective?

I don't get why anyone would want a manual tranny anymore except on a sports car. I really do not get it. You're not a girl if you drive an auto.
I prefer the MT just because its more fun to drive. that and the auto in my wife's car drives me nuts when i drive it, it never shifts when i want it to, and tends to shift when i don't want it to. i guess its just a control thing with me, i prefer to drive, as opposed to point and shoot.
 
1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Top