Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I just joined your forum as I have pretty much decided on getting a 2011 FJ for my new rig. My question is simple but I do not see addressed in the 4x4 forum.

I love the laziness of a AT for my daily driver (Which this will be). Any deficiencies with going with the AT over the MT in the new FJs? Gears? Features?

I just don’t want to kick myself later for going AT.

Also, is there anything I should ensure I get aside from the Off Road pack that includes locker and A-Trac?

P.S. Not a troll. This isn't me. Every thread on the blue room

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum:

With 30 years of OR experience and having gone both ways, an automatic fully rigged is in my opinion slightly superior. Possible down sides are: can't push start unless you have a method to independently lock the converter (kits for other apps avaialable). Engine braking (not available with some designs) when backing down hills (leave in forward drive). Reapaing an an automatic will generally cost more unless you DIY. Don't know about the 2011, but 210 & earlier MT are full-time 4WD, so expect more front-end drive maintainance. There may be a milage (1-2 MPG?) advantage for Automatics?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Personally I would take a manual over an automatic, if it were a Jeep. The only thing I don't like about the FJs manual is the full-time 4wheel drive. If it were 2 wheel when not in 4-high, then the manual would be my choice hands down. If I were to do it all over again I would get a manual but it would be a hard decision.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
More than happy with my AT. I feel I can have more finesse and can go nice and slow crawling on trails.

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
Auto FJ's are awesome. Being a daily driver it gets better MPG than the manual and it is just as capable off road. Locker is a must option. Other than that just whatever preferences you personally have. Some like stripped down models so they can add on all the stuff themselves, others buy them already added on. Check out the buyer comparison section for different roof racks and sliders.

·
Registered
95 Posts
being in a country where a 1/2 liter of water is more expensive than a 1 liter of water i wanted a MT cause i think its more fun to drive than an AT but they didn't have one but thats only my opinion

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everybody,

Thanks for all the responses. I really feel comfortable going with the AT. Now I just have to go get the damn thing. Sold my last car back in April and have really got use to only one car payment but have grown more tired of carpooling. Also will be nice to get a truck I can do more than pick the kid up in, but also have FUN.

Once I get it I'll post pictures and keep track of all my mods/upgrades.

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I think the REAL Man will get what suits him and his needs. If the FJ is your daily driver the AT is the way to go, hands down. If you do want to go off road you must get the AT with 4WD & the locking rea diff, and A-Trac. These "Tools" for off roading will get you into and out of things you couldn't even dream about doing. Had the Toyota Trail teams teach me such things in Big Bear. Seen many people stall out the MT when in a tricky spot and the AT seems to roll right through difficult terrain. Can't go wrong with the AT.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I've done a LOT of 4-wheeling in Moab with folks that have manual FJ's. In nearly every instance I can recall they had considerably more trouble than I did on the really tough obstacles. That tells me all I need to know about which way I'd go if I was in the market for another FJ (although I will say they do seem to be far less susceptible to ring & pinion failures).

Jim

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I've done a LOT of 4-wheeling in Moab with folks that have manual FJ's. In nearly every instance I can recall they had considerably more trouble than I did on the really tough obstacles. That tells me all I need to know about which way I'd go if I was in the market for another FJ (although I will say they do seem to be far less susceptible to ring & pinion failures).

Jim
I've never been 4-Wheeling out west, but here in the Southeast US the good drivers have the least trouble with tough obstacles, AT or MT. I'd say if you prioritize convenience an AT will always be the top choice & if you prioritize driver involvement an MT will always be the top choice.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
If you take driver skill out of the equation the AT is just a whole lot easier for negotiating difficult obstacles, period (unless you happen to have a MT with a crawl box)! I'm not saying it's better or more enjoyable, just easier. For the most part the people I wheel with are exceptional drivers with years and years of experience, but the ones with MT's still have more difficulty on many of the really hard obstacles vs. someone in an AT with comparable driving skills. Not to mention periodically having to replace clutches after the sort of severe abuse we encounter on some of our runs.

Jim

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
If you take driver skill out of the equation the AT is just a whole lot easier for negotiating difficult obstacles, period (unless you happen to have a MT with a crawl box)! I'm not saying it's better or more enjoyable, just easier. For the most part the people I wheel with are exceptional drivers with years and years of experience, but the ones with MT's still have more difficulty on many of the really hard obstacles vs. someone in an AT with comparable driving skills. Not to mention periodically having to replace clutches after the sort of severe abuse we encounter on some of our runs.

Jim
Amen...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
They're both awesome.

I think if you're off road all the time (like dedicated trail rig/expedition type vehicle) the manual makes more sense because I've seen it get a lot better gas mileage off road than the AT (not on road stuff, I think they're pretty much equal in that respect, especially if modded). You can make it over more stuff in the full time 4wd mode than the 2wd of the auto, just meaning you don't have to lock the center diff as much.

Otherwise I feel they're equal with what pro's and con's each has. I have an auto and love it 'cause I can accellerate and txt... ;) (joke)

·
Registered
955 Posts
i prefer the manual because i like feeling more connected to the vehicle... auto is definitely easier if you do really technical trails... but wheres the fun in easy!?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Okay how is it that I'm the first one to acknowledge that fine piece of art that he's shared with us? Has anyone else watched that movie? Genius! I almost cried.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Drove MT's for many decades was a lot of fun. Now at this age for me the AT was the way to go. The extra 1-2 mpg doesn't hurt either. Definately go with the rear locker and Atrac. You seem to be leaning towards the AT. Go for it.:rocker:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts