Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2011 yesterday and I'm loving it!

The offroad package came with black steelies and Bridgestone Dueler HTs that are a bit disappointing. From what I've read they are fairly dismal in snow and rain, so the first thing Im looking to do is replace them with something a little better.

We split our time between Seattle and Colorado, so rain and snow/ice are pretty regular occurrences. We are a ways off from any serious offroading, and will probably never do a lot of the crazy impressive stuff I see FJ owners going for, but decent dirt/mud capabilities would be a great bonus. Throw in plenty of highway and city driving, and it seems like All Terrains would be my best bet.

Any recommendations on a highway friendly AT that still can handle the snow well, or should I just buy some Blizzaks for winter, swap to the Duelers in the summer and call it good?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Blizzaks are good for winter specific driving but I wouldn't use them in the summer. The Duelers seemed fine for me, (I wanted to get my use out of them before I shed them) I have BFG AT's right now. They suck in the mud, they are about the same in the snow (not too bad, just drive as conditions dictate). If I can get my house sold and move closer to work I will probably try some M/T's (right now I drive 100+ miles a day to work and back)

·
Registered
434 Posts
For snow and Ice look at the snow rated tires, makes a big difference. Blizzak are good along with General Altima and Toyo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i just put a pair of treadwright sentinels on mine after i got it. it's gone through alot of snow this winter and it has handled very well. plus the tires were half the price of a bfg or anything else (93 bux a piece). i added the kedgegrip for the snow and ice for a little extra traction. they are really pretty quiet on the highway and city streets. i'm very impressed with them so far (about 1,000 miles on them) whoever pointed them out to me i owe alot. the money i saved i used on the gb for the all-pro slider buy. they are at treadwright.com. very knowledgeable about the product and they have quite a few fj owners at the company too.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
IMO stay away from Blizzaks, they are only good for about 12-15,000 mi after that the grippy layer(what helps you stick to the road) us gone and you are left with tire that has marginal performance at best.

IMO a great all around tire is the Goodyear Silent Armour, they do very well in winter conditions(snowflake rating), have a good highway ride, fairly quiet.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Just my two cents but I am super impressed with Toyo Open Country AT. They were impressive in the snow and went 55K miles before I replaced them. A bit pricey but an awesome all round tire IMO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just bought a 2011 yesterday and I'm loving it!

The offroad package came with black steelies and Bridgestone Dueler HTs that are a bit disappointing. From what I've read they are fairly dismal in snow and rain, so the first thing Im looking to do is replace them with something a little better.

We split our time between Seattle and Colorado, so rain and snow/ice are pretty regular occurrences. We are a ways off from any serious offroading, and will probably never do a lot of the crazy impressive stuff I see FJ owners going for, but decent dirt/mud capabilities would be a great bonus. Throw in plenty of highway and city driving, and it seems like All Terrains would be my best bet.

Any recommendations on a highway friendly AT that still can handle the snow well, or should I just buy some Blizzaks for winter, swap to the Duelers in the summer and call it good?

Thanks!
first of all welcome to the forum, I just put some Falken Rocky Mountain ATS on my FJ and am very happy with them they are great for rain and was very suprised how good they stuck in the snow and ice. I got mine from americas tire and even got a 50.00 rebate when ibought all four.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm running Nitto Terra Gapplers and they have handled great in the snow. I live in NY and we had a horrible winter and the tires were awesome. My 07 came with the Dunlop Grandtreks and I changed them right away after purchasing my FJ. Just another suggestion for you. I paid 650.00 for 5 tires.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From the land of ice and snow.....if you are not going with dedicated snow tire I would look at two tires. BFG AT KM and Goodyear Duratrac. They are both ice and snow rated, have decent road manners and wear well. The Duratracs according to people I talked with are the better in snow, but either do well. The Duratracs are also studdable. I am using BFG AT and as we do have a lot of ice and snow I find they haven't let me down. Not as good as a dedicated snow but much better than most at's and a tonne better than the dunlop bananna skins that mine came with too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts