Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if the torque converter has a drain plug on it ? the machines they use to do the service at the dealership uses the pump on the tranny, and I was told that it was not good for the transmission. Not sure how true that is.

I have done everything myself. From what I have read the AT trans is a pain in the arse to service yourself :flame:

any info would be great. :cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Late model Toyota 5 speed automatic truck and SUV transmissions require a certian procedure to follow and fluid to be used when servicing. It is a pain in the rear. I took my 04 4Runner to the dealer and the service wasn't cheap. I think about $200.00. Make sure you follow the correct procedure to avoid trans damage. Not trying to push dealer service here, but as a retired Toyota dealer service employee hate to see someone screw up a trans unnecesarily.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, there are a few things that are not service friendly on the FJ, and this AT is one of them. I got underneath it the other day and the bell housing is completely sealed. No way to get to the converter unless you seperate it. So dealer here I come.

The price sounds about right, I will post it up when I get the final bill.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I don't know of any late model automatic transmissions with torque converter drain plugs. I have a 1983 Ford F-150 with a C6 auto (Been in the family since new) and the C6 has a drain plug on the torque converter

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I flushed and replaced my trans fluid at 50K its as easy to do as an oil change. Took about 1 hour to do. I`m sure it will be faster next time since I know where everything is now.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Since there is no torque converter drain plug the best way to keep your transmission fluid in good shape is to drain the pan every 20K. You will only get a little less than 4 quarts out but if you do this every 20K the fluid will stay clean and red. No need to pull the pan as the transmission just has a screen filter which does not need to be replaced. nce the fluid becomes brown and dirty then you wll need to flush the system with clean oil and it will take 15 to 20 quarts to get the fluid red again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts