Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a dip stick for AT transmission, I've looked all over the engine bay and owners manual.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I thought that was weird also. Then again my last automatic was way back in ...oh, yeah this is my first automatic in 25 years of driving.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Is there a dip stick for AT transmission, I've looked all over the engine bay and owners manual.
No its called a sealed system you dont need to change it for 100k. Maybe more if you constantly in the dirt but per Toyota 100k.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
The FJ's trans does not have a typical diptstick, but it has an overflow tube on the pan that can be checked. It also has a fill plug and a drain plug and the .pdf procedure for changing it are found in several places on this site.

I would change it at 50K intervals if you want your AT to last 250K miles. If your a hard core 4 wheeler, even more often.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Agree there is no dipstick. 100K is way too much for me. Mine will be done at about 30K.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Hey, nice GIF of the PDF logo! Just kidding, when the link is fixed I'll download the actual PDF. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
There you go, it's fixed now...... a slip of the mouse key.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
FWIW, a friend is a mechanic at a dealership here in Denver and he tells me it is a major PITA to change the fluid. This is coming from a mechanic with over 20 years of experience. I'm sneaking up on fitty K and will have him take the pain and change it out then. YinYang gets beat like a rented mule and I for one, am not waiting until 100K.

Mike

·
Registered
660 Posts
I concur. You have to actually drop the transmission in order to change the t fluid. It's the same way in the tacoma because they share the same guts.

GO with the ws toyota.

FWIW, a friend is a mechanic at a dealership here in Denver and he tells me it is a major PITA to change the fluid. This is coming from a mechanic with over 20 years of experience. I'm sneaking up on fitty K and will have him take the pain and change it out then. YinYang gets beat like a rented mule and I for one, am not waiting until 100K.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Hopefully Jayman will chime in here. He is one of the few list members (maybe the only one) that has actually changed the AT fluid himself. I know several others have had it done at the dealership. There is a clear procedure to do the changeover but the tranny does not need to be dropped.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
660 Posts
It is a little easier if you drop the transmission.

Most new toyotas do not have a transmission filter as other vehicles do. It is merely a screen that needs to be cleaned whenever you change your fluid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts