Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I’m running an Atlas 4speed that I installed myself, but I’m also running a Dana 60 rear axle. The atlas puts out major torque to the axles when in low range. That torque can cause adverse effects on stock axles if not careful.
As far as a daily driver goes, you’re looking at lots of modifications that’ll have to be made to the driveline tunnel to get the atlas tucked up into place. When I did mine, I believe it took me a good week or two to get everything modified and mounted up. And then there’s the question of cable shifters. The ones available from Advance Adapters are a two piece setup. Meaning, one for, essentially the doubler; and one for the front and rear axles. With that setup, due to the size, you’re basically forced to sacrifice your forward cup holder in the console. Personally, I was not keen on that option. I went with a triple cable shifter setup from Behemoth Drivetrain, special ordered with shorter shifter levers. I also ordered the levers to come straight, so I could bend them to my liking, to avoid possible clearance issues and be able to bring all three shift levers through the stock hole in the console. I also had to shorten the shifter cable mount bracket by cutting and re-welding it, to adapt this so that it works with the better heavier atlas cables. Another thing is that a support ring and cross member MUST be made to support the atlas. If you don’t, catastrophic transmission housing failure WILL occur!
What I’m getting at, is that all this takes time to get set up right. So the vehicle WILL have some down time. Also, a new drive shaft will have to be made. But Rocky Mountain Driveline did mine and they were quick and great, I believe just 3-4 days shipped to my door.
As far as A-trac and the rear locker goes, the rear locker should still operate just fine, but the A-trac, I’m not able to answer. I’m including a couple pics. The one from the underside, showing the atlas, is of course before I fabricated and installed the support ring and cross member.
Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was thinking of going two speed the more i read. Just really would like to get the low low range, doont know that the 4 speed would be quite what i need, seems like overkill. I realize that the lower range increases torque but i dont plan on getting bigger then a 33' tire anytime soon and im thinking that it would be smoother on the drivetrain becuase im able to better control the rpms and the speed of the vehicle, more consistant? Is that correct,if im carefull? i read of the people who break their rear axle under idle but they also had 35+ tires.

I would have to plan on the downtime, and i hate it, im the guy who pays someone else to do this kind of work. Little bit out of my skill set.

·
トヨタ Master
7,628 Posts
I know this is an old thread but does the 2 speed atlas retain the abaility to use atrac and the stock elocker?

Am i crazy for wanting this for my 6mt daily driver on 33's? Not worth the hassle/expense?

Thoughts?
What attracts you about the Atlas?

·
Registered
273 Posts
What attracts you about the Atlas?
Low low range and not burning out my clutch. I discovered the inchworm lefty only to find out it had problems and is discontinued. Talked to a friend how has seen them on other rigs not fjcs and its works good for rocks. I love three pedal but feel like the stock ratio isnt low enough. Seems like a sweet deal hahha. Seems like all the threads about the lefty went along the lines of ....this is the greatest modifications ever! Three posts later.... i broke it worst idea ever. But it was awesome while it worked. And the atlas is builtproof?

·
トヨタ Master
7,628 Posts
Low low range and not burning out my clutch. I discovered the inchworm lefty only to find out it had problems and is discontinued. Talked to a friend how has seen them on other rigs not fjcs and its works good for rocks. I love three pedal but feel like the stock ratio isnt low enough. Seems like a sweet deal hahha. Seems like all the threads about the lefty went along the lines of ....this is the greatest modifications ever! Three posts later.... i broke it worst idea ever. But it was awesome while it worked. And the atlas is builtproof?
It is pretty stout and inherited design strength from those such as the venerable NP205, Dana 300, etc. What about installing Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 gears into your stock case if you just want lower low range?

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is pretty stout and inherited design strength from those such as the venerable NP205, Dana 300, etc. What about installing Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 gears into your stock case if you just want lower low range?
Isnt that the inchworm lefty case? Educate me i thought that was not longer an option?

·
トヨタ Master
7,628 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't see them on the site anymore (maybe I'm old and just confusing the gears with the doubler) but perhaps this is a better option anyway as it gives you the ability to have the stock low range, a 4.7:1 low range, or a combination of both to give you the ultimate in crawl ratio.

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/dual-case/tacoma-2nd-gen/dual-case-unit
better option until you have to screw around with the fuel tank, make a small tank even smaller. IDK that there was ever any easy way around this, i think i saw a thread where someone used a chevy tank or something to do this on their 4R. The demello FJ, or however you spell it, basicly took a jeep tool (hammer) to the factory tank on another forum. lost capacity and they and i quote: wouldnt do this for a customer rig. But your right. i love that idea. I guess the Taco guys have that one us.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
better option until you have to screw around with the fuel tank, make a small tank even smaller. IDK that there was ever any easy way around this, i think i saw a thread where someone used a chevy tank or something to do this on their 4R. The demello FJ, or however you spell it, basicly took a jeep tool (hammer) to the factory tank on another forum. lost capacity and they and i quote: wouldnt do this for a customer rig. But your right. i love that idea. I guess the Taco guys have that one us.
I modified my tank and I doubt I lost more than 1/2 gallon. Not an issue for me... just don't want people to think you are losing any meaningful capacity. I've been running my modified tank for 10 years w/o any issues. It's an easy way to make the Lefty fit or allow enough room for the Atlas. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with modifying the tank. It's a very easy process...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I modified my tank and I doubt I lost more than 1/2 gallon. Not an issue for me... just don't want people to think you are losing any meaningful capacity. I've been running my modified tank for 10 years w/o any issues. It's an easy way to make the Lefty fit or allow enough room for the Atlas. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with modifying the tank. It's a very easy process...
yeah hate to be that guy but id be paying someone to do it. out of my capability.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I didn’t have to do anything with the tank either, even with the 4 speed. It was close, but even with the support ring cross member squeezed in there, it fit. And just like Hornsfan, even if clocked flat, I’m certain it would still fit without modification to the tank.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I did not have to modify my tank for the Atlas 4 speed I now run. I did have to modify my tank in order to make the Lefty and a crawler box I used to run fit. With the Lefty and a crawler box there isn't enough room. That Atlas just squeezes in there with very little to spare.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts