Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to find more information about this online but can’t seems to do so:

I was talking to another member here about how JP models don’t have a rear diff lock, but mine seems to have ATRAC.
Because of this, I was therefore considering installing ARB’s on the front and rear, however stumbled upon some threads where people were saying that if you don’t have ATRAC, you don’t have rear diff lock. Now I was wondering if that might also mean that because I do have ATRAC I do have a locking diff but just don’t have the button? 😅 Sorry if this is a stupid question, any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
689 Posts
My '08 came with an ATRAC button only from factory. The list from the factory did not list anything installed back there.Crawled under the thing and verified it had the rear end locker already installed. Bought a rear locker button and plugged it in to the plug next to the ATRAC and that gave me a locked rear end. A 35 dollar switch and 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
6,353 Posts
Look at your rear differential where the driveshaft comes in. If it has this mechanism bolted to (through) it, then it has a locker. Many didn't come with them and still had A-Trac though. Not sure about UK models but I've seen a few here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thank you for the help and for taking the time to take a pic!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's hope so... but I know the Land Cruisers from Japan do not have lockers so I am not sure the FJ will.

Do you have a arrival date yet?
I’m crossing my fingers, if not i’ll see if ATRAC is enough for me I guess.. Arrives in port on the 11th, nearly in the Med!

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Look at your rear differential where the driveshaft comes in. If it has this mechanism bolted to (through) it, then it has a locker. Many didn't come with them and still had A-Trac though. Not sure about UK models but I've seen a few here.

My understanding has always been if there is no rear locker ATRAC would not work.

·
トヨタ Master
6,353 Posts
My understanding has always been if there is no rear locker ATRAC would not work.
It should. No locker on my wife's 4Runner and A-Trac works flawlessly.

·
トヨタ Master
6,353 Posts
Awesome, thank you for the help and for taking the time to take a pic!!
That was just an internet pic of what it looks like. Mine has a guard on it so it's harder to see. Plus if mine leaked like that, I'd have to have a conversation with myself. :p

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Rear locker has nothing to do with Atrac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It does....same ECU controls the rear diff lock controls the ATRAC. The ECU p/n is different for trucks without the rear axle locker.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was going to add programming may affect it but it has nothing mechanically to do with Atrac

I can unplug my locker and Atrac will still work just fine.....

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Here is a visualization of what is in the owner's manual: A-TRAC cannot work while the rear locker is locked, because it uses the brakes to do its work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
"I’m still not pick’n up what your put’n down. "
A-TRAC uses the brakes on each axle to hold a slipping wheel so that the other wheel with traction can work. If the rear diff is locked, and if A-TRAC applied the brake to one of the rear wheels, it would stop the whole axle and you'd still be stuck. So, when the rear diff is locked the rear axle A-TRAC is turned off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Incorrect

Atrac works only on front wheels IF rear diff is locked.
When diff unlocked it works on all 4..
it’s in Ecuador programming.
All but very early 07 have this capability AFAIK.
My 03/07 model does.
A trac only in low range and only below 5mph ( this number may not be exact)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts