Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past winter when doing my monthly run through my 4 low/locker/atrac function checks I discovered an issue. I believe from researching I know the issue, but wanted to pick the brains of wiser folks here. The FJ is my daily and don't need those fine things for commuting, but will need them in working order for the Summit.

Anyways, here is what I am experiencing. I am able to place the FJ into 4 low and it functions appropriately. If I try to engage the locker it wont and icon just will flash. When I try to engage A-trac, it will also not illuminate. I suspect this isnt a rear locker issue as the atrac is independent of that. I am lead to believe I have a faulty 4 Low switch on the transfer case. Am I on the right track with that reasoning?

If it is the switch it looks like they run in the $50 ball park. I have read some posts dissecting the repair and needing a crowfoot wrench/socket. This will be beyond my wrenching skills as well I have about zero of that...lol. Any idea on a expected labor fee on that? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
The light will blink until it is engaged, and sometimes it takes more time to engage if it is sticky from not being used for a while.

If I am reading the owner's manual correctly, you have to be going less than 5mph for the rear diff lock to engage, are you trying to engage it above that speed?

I recall from past threads that sometimes squirming the steering back and forth, while moving forward, helps the diff lock to engage, have you tried that?

Also, I am not sure that my understanding of the owner's manual correct, but does A-TRAC needs the rear diff lock to be off in order to function (it is like TRAC, but more aggressive, using the brakes so a locked rear diff would prevent its function)?

Norm

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
The light will blink until it is engaged, and sometimes it takes more time to engage if it is sticky from not being used for a while.

If I am reading the owner's manual correctly, you have to be going less than 5mph for the rear diff lock to engage, are you trying to engage it above that speed?

I recall from past threads that sometimes squirming the steering back and forth, while moving forward, helps the diff lock to engage, have you tried that?

Also, I am not sure that my understanding of the owner's manual correct, but does A-TRAC needs the rear diff lock to be off in order to function (it is like TRAC, but more aggressive, using the brakes so a locked rear diff would prevent its function)?

Norm
2013. Agree, the first time I tried the locker in 4-LO I had to make some S-turns going very slow for it to engage, it took a while. I bought Jade at 38K and I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't use 4-lo, ATRAK or locker. Once I got it working it locks in quickly now. When I get on dirt I put her in 4-lo and locker and ATRAK for a short time even though I run the back roads in 4-HI.

In 4-LO the locker and ATRAK work together or separately for me, . But I'll double check next time out.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,994 Posts
Hi Duke :wave: So are you certain 4wd is engaging? I ask because the actuator is a common source of these types of problems. Likewise, sure that youre actually in 4Lo? Plus you can really feel it if your locker is engaged, so I’d recommend doing a feel test of these before swapping out any parts. You might get lucky and only be dealing with a switch or sensor. And if your FJ is an early 07 build, you won’t be able to run ATRAC and locker contiguously without the hack....otherwise they should engage together. GL!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Norm, The locker can work together or separately with A-trac, from my extremely limited experience. My memory may be failing me though.

Hey Deb..😀. It definitely is in low range the last time I tested it out. I was thinking it wasn't the actuator because if it was the actuator alone, my A-TRAC should still function in 4-LO... with out the Locker. I was in 4-LO and slow swerving back and forth, but no dice on engaging the Locker. The fact that my A-TRAC won't work is why I think it's the sensor/switch. I had to add the A-TRAC button after I got it. I am fortunate it is a later build date 07 so they work together no hack I believe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did another trial run today. 4Lo definitely works. Cant get Locker to engage. Atrac button never illuminates. I am gonna pray that the internet mechanics are right that its the sensor as I know it is a known problem. Gonna make some calls tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
2013. Agree, the first time I tried the locker in 4-LO I had to make some S-turns going very slow for it to engage, it took a while. I bought Jade at 38K and I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't use 4-lo, ATRAK or locker. Once I got it working it locks in quickly now.

When I get on dirt I put her in 4-lo and locker and ATRAK for a short time even though I run the back roads in 4-HI.

In 4-LO the locker and ATRAK work together or separately for me, . But I'll double check next time out.
Took her off road yesterday. In 4-LO. Locker blinks then goes steady, couple seconds. ATRAC and Locker work together or separately. Ran most of the trails in 4-LO and ATRAK - third gear, I think I like that better than 4-HI, for the slower trails. Locker on just to test it.

Lee

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started making calls for quotes. I called my local toyota dealer just out of curiosity and knew they would be the highest. Their marked up part is $91, 2hrs of labor at $129 and a $100 diagnositic fee to know what sensor is bad on the transfer case. I told them, but we know it is the 4Lo sensor...nope still have to do it. So $450. Very curious to see where the independent shops will fall at on this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wire a bypass on the sensor to a switch inside the truck. Then when you turn on(bypass) the locker and atrac will think you are in 4lo regardless.

Does the 4wd indicator come on steady when you shift into 4hi ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wire a bypass on the sensor to a switch inside the truck. Then when you turn on(bypass) the locker and atrac will think you are in 4lo regardless.

Does the 4wd indicator come on steady when you shift into 4hi ?
I know that is an option, and definitely will consider it in the future. Want to do it right this time. Yep, get indicator and vsc off when in 4 Hi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts