Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Atrac switch and was going to install it this morning. I took out a "tool" to pry out the blank inserted it in the crack and pried a bit from the side and nothing happened. I then tried prying from the top and still nothing. I was using a wide 3/8" tool with a thin blade. I DON'T want to mar the surrounding area and I don't want to take it all apart. What is the tool of choice to pry out the blank. .......Thanks in advance. ...:cheers:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You need to take the console apart to get at the harness the ATRAC switch plugs into any way.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I read that someone did the whole job in 20 seconds while in the toyota parking lot. .......:mecry:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
All I know is that the harness was not in the slot for mine.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i used a small screwdriver, the type for glasses with in thin strip of a rag not to scratch the plastic, just pry it out, the cover goes in pretty deep and the harness is attached to the back of it , it should take 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
plastic knife works.

i just pried it with the nail file/screwdriver thingy of a swiss army knife.

and if the ATRAC switch harness isn't there, just pry all the blanks until you find it.

taking apart the console is a tremendous waste of time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My install was about 20 seconds. The harness was plugged into the back of the switch blank. My tool of choice was a butter knife. I suggest wiping off the knife prior to use. Rubbing the switches with toast to remove the butter afterward does not work as well as logic led me to think and the toast tasted funny too.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would be afraid i would scratch or damage something. Removing the console takes about 5 minutes. Plus, while you are at it, you can add a new 12-volt outlet as well. Takes about another 5 minutes. One of my favorite mods.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have recently taken my entire console apart. (The parts around the shifter knobs and the center dash console.) I agree with the comments that it only takes about 5 minutes to do it. A few screws and a few pop-outs. See landcruisesteves thread on how to remove everything. Excellent writeup with excellent photos documenting each step along the way. (Posted as a sticky in the interior/exterior visual tech section of the forum)

The other thing I learned is sometimes you just have to accept that you have to pry really hard to get the "lego blocks" in the FJ to come apart. Most of the time if it can come apart..it will come apart if you just pry hard enough.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your help guys. The switch is installed and it works. It took about 3 minutes, I had a bit of trouble taking the harness off the blank and putting it on the switch.
Thanks again.:bigthumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts