Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started this thread with the hope that ALL FJ Cruiser owners will be made aware of a potentially serious problem that may affect their vehicle.

There have been a number of documented cases of the inner fender well aprons bulging, cracking, and ripping on 2007 FJ Cruisers - and as of this time, there has been no "official" announcement by Toyota regarding this issue.

At this time, the "official" cause has not been determined (or at least has not been revealed publicly by Toyota). While not publicly acknowledging the issue at this time, Toyota has been repairing vehicles on a case-by-case basis under warranty. There are several members of this forum, myself included, who have been using their affected vehicles as "guinea pigs", allowing Toyota to document, photograph, inspect, and remove parts for analysis in determining the cause and repairs required to alleviate the problem.

It appears this problem in more prevelant in earlier models, but that is not conclusive. It also appears aftermarket equipment and off-road usage are not the cause of this problem, and Toyota has not denied coverage to anyone because of the equipment installed on or the usage of their FJCs.

There are several threads in the "Problems / Dealer Service" section of this site that contain more details, pics of some of the affected vehicles, and polls that we hope all FJC owners will take the time to repond to.

Not all dealers are aware of this problem, either. If you suspect your vehicle might be affected, contact your dealer for an inspection by the local Toyota field engineer. This will document your situation to protect your future warranty coverage regarding this problem should it occur later, and if affected, present your available repair options. At this time, Toyota has introduced redesigned inner fender well apron panels, and they are replacing those panels, along with the front core support, in order to eliminate the problem.

The panels that are bulging / ripping are crush zones designed to reduce the tranfer of impact forces in the event of an accident. So, this problem has the potential to affect vehicle safety in an accident if damaged panels are not replaced. PLEASE TAKE THIS ISSUE SERIOUSLY AND HAVE YOUR VEHICLE INSPECTED FOR SYMPTOMS.

These are threads in the "Problems - Dealer Service" section of this forum that are related to this problem:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html#post663290
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/35283-body-rip-file-nhtsa-complaint.html#post663367
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/37556-everyone-please-respond-poll.html

Please check out these threads, check your vehicle, and spread the word among other FJ Cruiser owners - the vehicle you save may be you own.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Larry

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I've started this thread with the hope that ALL FJ Cruiser owners will be made aware of a potentially serious problem that may affect their vehicle.

There have been a number of documented cases of the inner fender well aprons bulging, cracking, and ripping on 2007 FJ Cruisers - and as of this time, there has been no "official" announcement by Toyota regarding this issue.

At this time, the "official" cause has not been determined (or at least has not been revealed publicly by Toyota). While not publicly acknowledging the issue at this time, Toyota has been repairing vehicles on a case-by-case basis under warranty. There are several members of this forum, myself included, who have been using their affected vehicles as "guinea pigs", allowing Toyota to document, photograph, inspect, and remove parts for analysis in determining the cause and repairs required to alleviate the problem.

It appears this problem in more prevelant in earlier models, but that is not conclusive. It also appears aftermarket equipment and off-road usage are not the cause of this problem, and Toyota has not denied coverage to anyone because of the equipment installed on or the usage of their FJCs.

There are several threads in the "Problems / Dealer Service" section of this site that contain more details, pics of some of the affected vehicles, and polls that we hope all FJC owners will take the time to repond to.

Not all dealers are aware of this problem, either. If you suspect your vehicle might be affected, contact your dealer for an inspection by the local Toyota field engineer. This will document your situation to protect your future warranty coverage regarding this problem should it occur later, and if affected, present your available repair options. At this time, Toyota has introduced redesigned inner fender well apron panels, and they are replacing those panels, along with the front core support, in order to eliminate the problem.

The panels that are bulging / ripping are crush zones designed to reduce the tranfer of impact forces in the event of an accident. So, this problem has the potential to affect vehicle safety in an accident if damaged panels are not replaced. PLEASE TAKE THIS ISSUE SERIOUSLY AND HAVE YOUR VEHICLE INSPECTED FOR SYMPTOMS.

These are threads in the "Problems - Dealer Service" section of this forum that are related to this problem:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html#post663290
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/35283-body-rip-file-nhtsa-complaint.html#post663367
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/37556-everyone-please-respond-poll.html

Please check out these threads, check your vehicle, and spread the word among other FJ Cruiser owners - the vehicle you save may be you own.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Larry
Just wanted to bold this one and give a bump. This needs to be addressed by all.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't posted in a while, so this is news to me. Will check later.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::soapbox:

PLEASE READ FIRST POST - THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL FJC OWNERS - THANKS

·
Registered
443 Posts
Another Bump

Larry thanks for this important notice.

Can Mods sticky on main (Home) page, or is that against the FJC image?

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Can Mods sticky on main (Home) page, or is that against the FJC image?
I just "stickied" this here within the General Discussion area, to where virtually every member typically pays a visit when they log on.

In my opinion, this is an important topic that all FJ Cruiser owners should at least know about. This notice should not be misinterpreted as a "sky is falling" panic trigger . . . . it's far from being what rumors throughout the Internet have since described it.

However, this should serve as a form of "public awareness" . . . . so that each individual member can determine if they happen to have this particular problem. And if so, what follow-up can be done if they do.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Excellent post, thanks!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
We must be one of the lucky ones. We bought ours in 4/06 and haven't had a problem yet.
Thanks for this thread Larry! and "KEEP EM ON IT!":)

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My FJ was built this year on March... I guess I shouldn't worry about this, right?
While Toyota has told some of us the new apron design on 08 FJCs eliminates this problem, not all of us are convinced yet. I suggest that you check for symptoms on a regular basis - there have been posts on this forum stating that new design vehicles have had symptoms develop - but they have not been verified with photos / inspections, so these rumors could be false.

Basically, I suggest everyone stay alert to the possibility that this issue may occur on new FJCs, until more info is presented to us by Toyota regarding the actual cause of the problem, and the official solution...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for this Larry! Your efforts on all of our behalf are much appreciated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks! I have to go check mine out tomm....

This could be very serious. Maybe more serious that the blind spot issue.
Thanks for making us aware of this.

techno

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm going to try and stop by to see the Trail Team in Andover MA tomorrow and see what their rig looks like. I don't remember from earlier threads if their rigs have had the inners replaced yet. I'll post after tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Mine is 4 06 and has a slight bulge on the passanger side. I have not checked it in a few months now. I am still stock.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

I'm nothing, if not persistant....

It's the weekend - time for an "under-the-hood" symptom check-up !!!!

Please remeber to respond to the other polls on this topic (see first post on this thread fo more info...) Thanks again for your assistance...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks Larry.

Already knew that my passenger was starting to bulge, but after your post, went and checked and sure enough, the driver side is starting now. Already posted to the relevant polls/threads.

Edit: will be filing with the Stealership, Toyota, and the NHTSA.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Larry.

Already knew that my passenger was starting to bulge, but after your post, went and checked and sure enough, the driver side is starting now. Already posted to the relevant polls/threads.

Edit: will be filing with the Stealership, Toyota, and the NHTSA.

Thank you for demonstrating the purpose behind this thread - to make FJC owners aware of this potential problem, so that they can take appropriate steps to protect their warranty and safety, and to initiate any necessary repairs....keep us informed about your progress...

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:bump::zlurking::zlurking::zlurking::zlurking:

Please continue to spread the word about this important issue for ALL FJ Cruiser owners....TIA

1 - 20 of 161 Posts