Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with OME HD lifts, does anyone think the front suspension is toooooo stiff? If so, did a front bumper install fix the issue? Did anyone install A-arms to correct this? I am concerned because my OME HD feels too stiff and I'm wondering how to resolve this problem. - Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The spring rates on the HD kit is designed for the extra weight of a winch and bumper. I see in your signature that you dont have a bumper yet, so, yes a bumper will settle the ride some. I have heavy front and medium rear and think the ride is better than stock. I dont think the A-arms will help in this case. That mod is mostly for correcting wandering/alignment issues.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For those with OME HD lifts, does anyone think the front suspension is toooooo stiff? If so, did a front bumper install fix the issue? Did anyone install A-arms to correct this? I am concerned because my OME HD feels too stiff and I'm wondering how to resolve this problem. - Thanks!
Go offroad. They'll loosen up in time. Even more with some extra weight up front.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have the HD kit and no winch or bumper (yet) for about 1/2 a year now, they took a wile to settle (3 months-ish). Now the ride is great a little looser than stock, super smooth on the road, great in the dirt. I drove a stock on the other day, wow I love the Old Man Emu!!

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,804 Posts
The weight of a bumper ( I have Warn ) and winch settled the front perfectly. I drove around without the front weight for a couple months and once I added the weight it felt great.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would not run the heavies with out at LEAST 150 lbs of extra weight. It pushes you control arms all the way down if you don't. This is not a good position for your cv angles to be at allll the time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the info. I plan on getting a winch and bumper soon. Until then, I guess there is just one thing to do.........See ya on the trails.

·
Registered
365 Posts
handles like a champ... my setup is in my sig. definitely stiff, and it slams down after speed bumps if you take them quick, but i love the stance and the fact that it doesn't dive anymore

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have 223 lbs of extra weight in the front and about 160 lbs utility box with recovery gear etc in the back and my ride is as smooth as stock on bumps but better in the corners. As mentioned OME heavy lift is made for weight in front and back. With out the extra weight it was harsh.

·
Registered
517 Posts
cool thing about heavies on the front with no bumper is you can jump it without bottoming out...lots of fun on the dirt roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts