Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a few audio questions I cant seem to find answers to on here.
I have an '07 with the upgraded audio w/ subwoofer. I want to replace the actual speaker in the box with something different. So I'm wondering if anyone has cut out a new hole for a larger woofer? It looks like you could fit a 10" woofer in there with modifications. Also, can you combine the 2 channels from the amp into a 1 channel speaker?

Next question, can the FJammer HU from the '07 be replaced, plug and play, with the bluetooth unit from 2011+? I dont need anything fancy there, just the added connectivity. Any nav or other use will come straight from my phone, which is mounted right next to the stereo.

I appreciate in advance any responses!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't speak for what people have managed to stuff in an existing enclosure, but I can give you the basic physics of why that probably won't work out so well. A subwoofer driver and its enclosure work together to produce the desired result. If you change one of the variables, the enclosure OR the subwoofer driver, then a whole different response is the result. The issue then is, why did they go with an 8" driver? The reason is space. Its a ported enclosure so the box is already larger than a sealed one. A 10" driver requires a larger box to sound "good" (to have a response that is expected of a subwoofer.) Being ported, that means the enclosure is tuned to a specific frequency, via the ports. If the sub is changed, the resulting response will likely be "wrong", compared with the desired response of a subwoofer.

Now, if you dig long enough, you'll probably find someone that rigged a solution. A solution that utterly ignores the logic of a box needing to be fitted to suit the subwoofer. Roll the dice, as they say, in that case.

I'm on a mission to just add more power to the factory sub (2012 model in my case, but similar, I hear) and I guess I'll see how that goes. The sub itself doesn't seem to be a problem, more of an enclosure and power limitation. If I end up finding that limit before the sub can meet my design goals of frequency response matched to what I consider an ideal response curve, then it will be on the chopping block next and I'll either fabricate my own or buy one that gets in the range I'm looking for. A SEALED enclosure with a 10" sub is likely to be used here. The reason is that a sealed enclosure requires much less space to get an appropriate response, all else equal.

TL: DR
You could probably find one, but you'd probably dislike the results if what you're going for is true subwoofer output and behavior.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You didn’t ask, buy I thought I’d take a shot anyway; I took the stock HU out of my 2012 and have it in my garage. It was working fine, but I wanted something fancier. If you’re interested in it, shoot me a message and I’ll give you a good deal

Dan

·
Registered
76 Posts
That looks just like the one in my 2012 that I just pulled out. Problem is, for me at least.... the wiring is totally different. I have the 10 speaker setup, and apparently the wiring for older FJ's has bigger pins and less of them. Wiring harnesses 70-1761 type... I made a vid on this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the answer I was looking for. So it looks like the "newer" head units won't fit in the "older" FJ's.

Sorry Dan, guess I won't be needing that HU after all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's the answer I was looking for. So it looks like the "newer" head units won't fit in the "older" FJ's.

Sorry Dan, guess I won't be needing that HU after all.

I think you could still wire it in, it would just be a manual effort. OR, if your FJ doesn't have the 10 speaker setup, then it may have different wiring. Here's my thread on this relative to this specific year.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/737392-radio-replacement-2012-jbl-no-aftermarket-radio-harness.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lanson, was you HU the JBL? Maybe that's the difference?
Yeah its all the JBL stuff. Has Harmon stickers all over it. You can see in my video, the connector is totally different. So, I guess that would be the determining factor.

The shape/style of the head unit looks pretty much identical to your pic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts