Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have 33's (tires) on the truck and as well a 33" inch tire hanging off the back. Takes up a substantial amount of the rear window (more so than the original factory tire). I have verified that the mirror DOES in fact auto dim (when covering the sun sensor on the back of the mirror it does dim if I shine a streamlight into the front sensor) and at night I see lights in the mirror so there is light from other vehicles hitting the mirror (if I'm seeing it in the mirror then its hitting the mirror). But at night the thing is a brick and never dims. I called Gentex (the OEM that makes the mirrors for the FJ's) about increasing the sensitivity of the sensor but they say that would require a firmware tweak and they don't do firmware tweaks other than on a mass production basis. Apparently window tint affects it as well but the level of tint on my rear window is a universe away from being even close to opaque. Seems really stupid that this thing has such a narrow limited range of functionality.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there an alternative mirror that one could employ that has greater sensitivity and has a wider range of auto-dim operation?? Or perhaps a mirror with a manual sensitivity switch etc... This things driving me nuts when driving at night.

TIA

1 - 1 of 1 Posts