Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm now looking for an FJ to make my own after alot of deliberation about which vehicle best suits my needs. I considered a 4runner, Rubicon, H3SUT. I'm sure I don't have to justify my decision to all you fine folks.

I've searched on the topic of comparing auto and manual transmissions and didn't find a thread. Maybe it eluded me.

My question for all you hard core FJ enthusiasts...which do you prefer and why?

I prefer a manual, but can be happy with an automatic if I understand the benefit. Just so you know, I will be off-road to get to those hard to reach places, and it's possible I could try crawling in the future. In all honesty, the FJ will be my first 4WD, though I did borrow a Samurai once and had a blast.

So what considerations did you take into account when deciding auto vs. manual? Gas mileage, control climbing terrain, reliability, fun?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
6mt for most situatins, but I had to puss out on hells gate, I would of liked an auto there. Had the wife n kids in the car, but for most adventuring I love the control of the manual.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure there'll be situations where a new off-roader like me will appreciate having an easier go if I select an auto. I don't normally like compromising because it can lead to regret. After reading a few threads it seems there's some skill required to traverse tricky terrain with a manual. The last thing I want is to burn up a clutch or e-brake when I'm remote because I don't know what I'm doing.

Puss out or being practical? Maybe my age is starting to show...say it isn't so.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There was a time when I said MT was the only way to go for an off road vehicle, but these days the AT's are so sophisticated, including on the FJ, that it's no longer the case. For myself, I already have an MT in my other ride, so getting the AT was ideal, and I don't regret it-crawling is the fun in the FJ.

·
Registered
729 Posts
have the 6 speed, would go auto next time for my off road toy.less stuff to deal with in tricky places .Stick has its benefits but so does auto,it all comes down to what your gonna do with it the most.I love the awd of my truck in the winters,but hate the stick when wheelin. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This forum is a great resources. Thanks for all your thoughts.

I drive a manual every day so I know the upsides and the downsides. I definately want a manual in a sports car. In a truck...I can see having a automatic could be a good thing. Hell, I should just get one of each.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I definately want a manual in a sports car. In a truck...I can see having a automatic could be a good thing.
The fun factor is the prime mover for me. The FJC, in my opinion, handles like a sports car compared to all the other trucks I have owned and do own. The MT6 is just icing on the cake. Elsewhere on the forum, some think the TRD Quikshifter makes the shifts tighter, so that is on my wishlist as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
had a manual 4 runner ...had the same clutch start cancel as the FJ...it got me out of the thick mud a couple times...manual transmission gives you other options in tight places... the manual FJ is full time 4X4 so more gas $$$ and i will be using it as my daily so i chose an auto

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I figure I'll chime in on the side of the 5AT. I'm glad everytime I get into some serious stuff that I got this baby with the automatic. After many discusions at trail side and around camp fires I have come to the conclusion that the 6MT may very well be more capable off road, however, the driver must be a supremely talented operator to squeeze that extra couple of degrees of performance out of the truck. I liken the FJ's 5AT, used in careful coordination with ATRAC and diff lock, to "Off-Roading For Dummies". It's just so easy to use. two pedals. Two feet. Hands on the wheel at 9 and 3, thumbs out. Easy day, every day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My take on the auto vs. manual is this. A 5AT is probably the best choice for "rockcrawling" if the driver is "not" really skilled in using a 6MT. In most other off-road applications (mud or snow covered trails, logging roads, etc...) I would give the nod to the 6MT. On highways or city streets in good weather or bad (snow or ice conditions) the 6MT is simply going to provide more traction control and be safer because of the full-time 4WD.

If Toyota had made the 5AT with full-time 4WD it would be a toss-up on the highways and streets. That's my 2 cents opinion.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts