Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the second mod for my wife's FJ. Bought this unit about 2 years ago from an overseas Chinese company (autodvdgps). Finally got around to installing it over this Memorial weekend. Everything works as advertised. Paid $250 back when it was on sale. Sorry for the fuzzy pics...still learning how to use a dSLR.

Start up screen. I wonder if I can hack it to read "FJ" instead...

Playing a DVD...

GPS running IGO...

Night shot. Backlight colors can be changed...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Looks pretty cool. Do the steering wheel controls work? Does the factory wiring harness still plug in to power the speakers or do you have to use the RCA cables to connect to amps?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her FJ does not have steering wheel controls. And I don't remember if this unit supports it. But reading the specs on autodvdgps, many of their units do support factory steering wheel controls. So, I would guess yes.

I am no car audio expert. This is my very first car stereo install (thus I waited 2 yrs to install...too apprehensive). All I know is the kit was pretty much plug and play. I didn't have to buy or use anything extra. Everything just plugged right in and fit perfectly.

I left quite a bit off the installation such as the IPod adapter, TV antenna, USB port, external microphone, backup camera, RCA IN & OUT...maybe something else I'm forgetting. I just don't know where I would run half of those things from the back of the unit...into the glove box? I even stuck the GPS puck underneath the dash. Fortunately, it picked up the satellites equally as well as my standalone Garmin.

Anyways, wife wants me to run RCA(video) out to the two backseat displays. I know I'll have to remove everything again, including the lower dash and floor console this time. I would have to Y-split the video cable and tap the power...but I just don't know how to run the cables from the floor console up the front seats to the screens, which are mounted to the headrest posts (not actually in the headrests). Should I just expose the cables dangling alongside the seats? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The center console is pretty easy to remove, should be plenty of room to run video cables through it. To get to the head rests I would bring the cables out the bottom of the center console right by the seats, then fish the wire up the side underneath the seat cover to the head rest area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. How do I make the wires come out near the headrest? Again, the rear screens are external, clamped to the headrest posts. They are not built into the headrests. Do I need to cut holes in the seat cloth for the wires to come back out near the top of the seats? Or are there existing holes/gaps I can take advantage of?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I got the box out. It says 4 x 45W amp. What's the stock (non-Jammer) wattage? To me, it sounded louder and clearer. Wife could not tell the difference. Go figure.

Also, to answer Hemi's question, it does say supports original car steering wheel control with C-Bus connector. Don't know what that means. We have no factory steering wheel controls so can't tell you if they work.

I forgot we have an aux in on the lower dash and this unit has 2 audio in. Next time I take things apart, I'll have to see how to connect that up.

Any help on the rear screen hook ups (see 2 posts up)?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like the look of the radio but I would have fab'd a bracket to move it out a bit...seems kind recessed.

For the rear screens, what kind did you get and are you going to permanently mount them or do you want them removable? If you don't want to make them permanent you're probably going to have a make a few holes...pics of what kind you got would help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Arrrg...I was afraid of that. Plug & play I can probably handle. Cutting holes, I know I will goof up somehow. Guess wife will wait another 2 yrs for the rear screens...LOL. I'll post up some pics of the cheap $50 screens later after I re-mount them.

As for fitment, I think it sits where the stock radio sat. I compared the 2 units side-by-side, the dimensions and mounting holes were exactly the same. Only difference was for the stock radio, looking down from the top of the dash, the middle of the faceplate curves out slightly. This unit is perfectly flat and follows the contours of the dash opening. However, to make it stick out a bit, it's probably as easy as adding a couple of washers to the 4 mounting holes where the stereo brackets mount onto the dash. That should make it stick out as much as the thickness of the washers.

Speaking of recessed, glad I got the unit with the knobs on the top instead of on the bottom. Seeing how the bottom is alot more recessed into the dash opening than the top (just like stock radio), I would imaging the knobs would be harder to turn if they were on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Thanks. How do I make the wires come out near the headrest? Do I need to cut holes in the seat cloth for the wires to come back out near the top of the seats? Or are there existing holes/gaps I can take advantage of?
Yeah, your probably gonna have to make a hole for the wire to exit. I would recommended just opening it up at a sewed seam. That way a needle and thread could sew it back up pretty discreetly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Below is a pic of the cheap rear screen. There are 2 sets of video-in's and DC in's -- one pair on the back and one pair on the right side. I'd really hate to make holes in the seats. Unless there are any other ideas, I might just run the cables outside.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but you could get a set of seat covers and run the wires under the seat covers. Of course that may add too much expense to your project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts