Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I mentioned that this was one of my wanted adds on the FJ ( now I am to the point of pulling the dash apart for some other things I want to do so its time to ask) about installing the "Auto On/of" feature to the FJ's lights.

We had it on the Tundra and Toyota cross polinates their parts so well that I thought it might be someting I can get from the factory.

Anyone done the mod, know what parts are needed etc.?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you talking about having it work with light outside or just so that you turn on the key and the lights are on? There is a pretty big difference there, one way you need a light sensor/controller plus other parts, and the other way you should just need a relay or two and fusing...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I named it just as Toyota does.

Turn the lights to the auto setting and they come on at dusk and go off at sunrise (or when it is light out)

I know it requires a sensor on the dash and a control unit. What I don't know is if Toyota designed the FJ wiring to have this as an "uninstalled option" like some of the other unused connectors in the harness. My local Toyota parts guy didn't have a clue...he didn't know there was a second horn connection under the hood.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Why would anyone need this? If it is dark, turn on your headlights. If it is light, don't turn them on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why would anyone need this? If it is dark, turn on your headlights. If it is light, don't turn them on.
For L U X U R Y!

Why have a thermostat on your home HVAC ? One might retort.... If it is hot, just turn on the A/C. If it is cold, turn on the heat.

But if it is automatic....you don't have to mess with it....it just happens.

Some folks really go for 'gadgetry" (such as myself) and others just don't see the point. Before I wax too much more on the philosophical....the simple answer is....for luxury.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW...I expected better from the FJ forum.

As to why I would like the feature, because it has benifits I appreciate. To ask why is to put in play other questions such as "Why do you spend thousands of dollars to build a rig that can crawl over a pile of rocks you could just drive around?"

Wise man say:
"Question not other men for then you may come into question yourself." House of Eggroll.

If you have some insight, I appreciate the information, if not, buy more eggrolls.

·
Registered
140 Posts
WOW...I expected better from the FJ forum.

As to why I would like the feature, because it has benifits I appreciate. To ask why is to put in play other questions such as "Why do you spend thousands of dollars to build a rig that can crawl over a pile of rocks you could just drive around?"

Wise man say:
"Question not other men for then you may come into question yourself." House of Eggroll.

If you have some insight, I appreciate the information, if not, buy more eggrolls.
I don't know the answer to your question, but my Sequoia has this feature and I like it. It is a kind of set it and forget it thing. Yes you could run with your lights on all the time, but that is not as cool, or modded :)

Everyone here likes to make mods to their ride!

·
Registered
14 Posts
As i don't own the FJ yet, i don't know for sure if it is an addon, but if it is, it would be BCM controlled and the arm for other Toyota's is rather expensive as it is a multifunction unit, but i would be willing to wager from the lack of pertinent comments from the loaded FJ owners that this feature wasn't built into the vehicle and doesn't look like an option either. I looked around on the Toyota website and didn't find a listing for it at all on any of the models, this was the .ca site, so it's not to say it's not available in other countries...
Just my observations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.