Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always air down when going off road... but I hate to air back up because it always seems to be raining, cold and dark when I finally get off the trail. After years of searching and coming up empty, I decided to build my own automatic tire inflator using an inline regulator designed for air tools.

This video shows you what I came up with in order to never have to sit next to my tires in the rain again!

if you like this idea and want to build one yourself you can find a parts list at How to make a automatic tire inflator. I've used this setup a bunch of times now and it works great. You should see the looks on peoples faces that are sitting next to their tires airing up, when I just walk away and they hear it automatically stop when it's done :)

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
728 Posts
X2. Nice!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm thinking this might work with the 2-Way Air system as a better regulator than the one that comes with 2-Way.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Very cool idea. I was secretly hoping you'd figured out how to adapt a military CTIS system to the FJ though.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Glad to see you are still with the FJ community , stealing this idea :D

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Let me know what you think.
How about a version that fills all 4 tires at once? It's a lot more hose to wrangle, but then you don't have to switch it for each tire.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Does the inline pressure regulator just block the air flow, or does it blow off/dump the air out allowing the pump to continue to running?

I thought I read something in reference to the ARB compressors not to allow them to run on a shutoff type line...

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool idea. I was secretly hoping you'd figured out how to adapt a military CTIS system to the FJ though.
I'll confess i looked long and hard at those... and they are very cool, but the ROI on that was going to take 1,000 years to pencil out :)

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the inline pressure regulator just block the air flow, or does it blow off/dump the air out allowing the pump to continue to running?

I thought I read something in reference to the ARB compressors not to allow them to run on a shutoff type line...
This regulator blocks the air when the tire PSI and regulator reach equilibrium. The Viair pump i run has a solenoid that shuts the pump off when the line pressure reaches 100PSI. Certainly not all pumps have a solenoid shut off but any of the pumps that can be attached to a small air tank will. If a pump doesn't have a solenoid shut off you can ad a waist gate but at some point this contraption is getting out of hand and it's back to the stool :)

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to see you are still with the FJ community , stealing this idea :D
I'd never leave this community... I still love my FJC... It killed me to demo the tire inflator on the GX470 in the video instead of the FJC but I had the GX out.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about a version that fills all 4 tires at once? It's a lot more hose to wrangle, but then you don't have to switch it for each tire.
So I could add hose wrangler to my resume if I did that :)... I was thinking about a set up to fill one side at a time... That seemed less attack of the killer octopus and might not trip me up in the dark. Might have to think about this a little more.

·
Desert Moderator
7,112 Posts

ARB compressors have a pressure switch preset to 100 PSI - this will work fine with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts