Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Re: Adding tranny fluid

i was told by the service guy there is a site glass on the side of the tranny and it takes a special tool to add of do maintenance on it..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toyota says that we never have to change the fluid

Wow, that's interesting. I guess I don't really have to worry about it then..........well I hope so anyway. I did call Toyota directly and the woman on the line did say that there isn't anwhere under the hood to check the level or to add but I wasn't sure that she knew what she was talking about because personally, I haven't heard of that before but obviously she was correct. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are drain, fill and level check plugs; see the service manual.

Do you have the shop manual or the regular manual that comes with the vehicle?, because I don't remember seing it in the regular owners manual. I'll check again though. Sounds like the same deal as with differential oil BTW.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Do you have the shop manual or the regular manual that comes with the vehicle?, because I don't remember seing it in the regular owners manual. I'll check again though. Sounds like the same deal as with differential oil BTW.

The Toyota factory service manual; I've posted the pages about five times already - going to bed now but in the morning I'll search and post a link to one of my previous posts w/ PDF's of the pertinent pages.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Here you go.

DEWFPO

Attachments

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
DEW posted the correct information. To clear up some confusion

First of all, the Toyota "Tech" is full of s***. There is no "sight glass" not sure what that guy is on. The transmission pan has the drain plug and the level "check plug" which is a bit complicated to use, see the shop manual section

The fill plug is on the side of the case. There is no dipstick or filler tube

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Toyota put a proprietary synthetic ATF called Toyota "WS" (World Standard) that they feel is good for 100,000 miles of service in the FJ (questionable at best). There's no need to check it unless you have leaks and they want you to bring it into the dealer to have it changed since the fluid is only available at from the dealer and has a specific procedure for changing it out.

I guess they feel that if we can't get to the atf, we can't mess it up and the trannies will last longer. There's actually some logic to that.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I can understand that.. It would be nice if we could trust that it was filled properly from the factory and it would in fact last that long. Toyota has always favored the "only authorized Toyota service" stuff. It just seems strange to not have a dip stick.. Ron

Toyota put a proprietary synthetic ATF called Toyota "WS" (World Standard) that they feel is good for 100,000 miles of service in the FJ (questionable at best). There's no need to check it unless you have leaks and they want you to bring it into the dealer to have it changed since the fluid is only available at from the dealer and has a specific procedure for changing it out.

I guess they feel that if we can't get to the atf, we can't mess it up and the trannies will last longer. There's actually some logic to that.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Actually a lot of newer vehicles come from the factory now without automatic transmission dipsticks. They probably want us to use the top-notch dealer service instead of a DIY. Yes, I'm being sarcastic

Can't recall if I mentioned this, but about a month ago I thought I'd check the level in my FJ. This was after a drive out to my hobby farm, around 98 miles in temps of 60-65 F

With the motor idling, parked on the level floor in my shop, I took out the overflow plug and fluid gushed out. Almost 300 ml. I had two cans of WS in my shop - here Toyota sells WS in a 4 litre tin can with a lot of Japanease printing on it - so thought at 10 K's I would go ahead and change it

The fluid drained out very clear, a nice bright red. I didn't drop the pan, in hindsight I wish I had to inspect the magnet. I refilled with 4 litres and went through the D-R, D-R thing until the fluid was warm. A very slight dribble came out the overflow plug

Went for a highway drive for 10 mins, returned to the shop, and rechecked the level again. A bit of seepage came out the overflow plug, so close enough

I haven't noticed any difference in performance. The fluid came out pretty clean, but I never go offroad or tow. Assuming the level was correct from the factory, the easiest way to get the level correct is drain it into a pan and then use a quart or litre measuring container, like you'd use for cooking, to determine exactly how much to put back in.

That should be close enough. Again, assuming they got the level correct from the factory

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Thanks DEWFPO, That's what I was figuring (make it tamper proof). I was also figuring on changing their super duper trans fluid @ the 50K mark to be on the safe side.
The same here. I've seen 'lifetime' atf fluids promoted by car manufacturers and my experiences have been to change them at half that recommended interval. There also seems to be less 'shock' to the trans. when you change it more frequently. The solenoids in these transmissions really do prefer clean atf to work with.

I think you'll be surprised at how bad it's going to look at just 50K. Especially if you do allot of off-roading or towing.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Assuming the level was correct from the factory, the easiest way to get the level correct is drain it into a pan and then use a quart or litre measuring container, like you'd use for cooking, to determine exactly how much to put back in.

That should be close enough. Again, assuming they got the level correct from the factory
That's my philosophy as well. I always measure what I take out to the ounce. The reason for me is that I don't really have a flat spot to park a vehicle on so I don't trust the "fill it till it pours out" routine. There's too much of a chance of me overfilling or underfilling. But again, as you said, I must assume the factory has filled it to the correct level. (I know that hasn't been the case with my Silverado's rear differential. A well documented issue of underfilling from the factory.)

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Yes.. It would make things so much simplier if we could just check the dipstick peridocally.

We had a rash of diff underfilling's with the Rubicon (lockers), so lots and lots of folks hit the Jiffy lube. They didn't realize the fill plug would hang the locker if it was over torqued. Many, many diff ruined.. Probably more than were ruined by being underfilled. I love the ARB diff cover with the dip stick! Ron

That's my philosophy as well. I always measure what I take out to the ounce. The reason for me is that I don't really have a flat spot to park a vehicle on so I don't trust the "fill it till it pours out" routine. There's too much of a chance of me overfilling or underfilling. But again, as you said, I must assume the factory has filled it to the correct level. (I know that hasn't been the case with my Silverado's rear differential. A well documented issue of underfilling from the factory.)

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I know that hasn't been the case with my Silverado's rear differential. A well documented issue of underfilling from the factory.

I used to have a 2000 GMC Sierra half ton 4x4. The underfill in on purpose, the recommended 2 litres puts the level almost 2 inches below the fill plug

I used to always just put in 3 litres, which put the level at the fill plug. I wonder if they had weak axle seals? Mine leaked before I even changed the gear lube, both the axle seals and pinion seal were leakers from the factory

1 - 20 of 32 Posts