Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Automatic Transmission

18K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  clayk 
#1 · (Edited)
I was told by the Toyota Dealer that the automatic transmission on our 2007 FJ Cruiser wouldn't need service till it got to 250,000 miles. It's at 116,000 miles now and the local transmission shop tells me it'll cost over $3,000 to repair it with a rebuild valve body and new torque converter and clutches. Here's what it does to warrant concern.
When its cold after just getting it going it shifts into 3rd gear and if feels like you ran over a "rumble strip" in the road. We didn't know it's the transmission shifting. It only does this if you are going slow pulling a slight hill.
If you push it a little harder or let off the gas it stops and shifts into the next gear. The shop told me it was mainly the valve body, one of the valves not working correctly.

Our extended warranty ran out at 100,000 miles. But with the transmission not needing any service for 250,000 miles you'd think it would have lasted that long. Anybody else have that problem? Very unhappy, and we've always like this vehicle a lot. Anything we can do with Toyota about this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Don.....

#3 ·
Not sure about the shudder issue, but a transmission from Toyota for a 2007 FJ 4WD (3501035B1084) cost is about $2389. I believe this is after a $1000 core return but can't tell with the information I have available. Over 3K sounds like in the ballpark, but quite high on the labor. If you have to replace it, you might want to shop around or consider doing it yourself if that doesn't void the warranty.

#5 ·
Dealer is full of crap! I believe they need fluid changed at 100k ish. I don't have the FJ maintenance chart available or I would post it.[/QUOTE

I think its here

Also OP... I would xhange and flush the fluid. First before u do anything else. Just my $0.02.

Attachments

#6 ·
#8 ·
Anytime you can them to replace the transmission that's a home run. If your transmission is under warranty then by all means go for a new trans. If you are out out of warranty then the flush is your next move.

#10 ·
I had a somewhat similar experience. Purchased a 2007 FJ Cruiser early October 2015. After a few days, my wife pointed out a minor shutter as we take off and approach a slight incline. Contacted the local dealership after a couple of months, who diagnosed the problem as a bad torque converter. Cutting to the chase, I now have a brand new transmission, mostly paid for by the extended warranty I purchased with the cruiser. At the time of purchase I had 106,900 miles, it's a rear wheel drive, the new torque converter did not solve the problem and the low speed shutter mostly happened when shifting from 4th to drive.
siro7

#11 ·
Got my 2015 Lexus Es 350 to Dealership to change transmission fluid at my cost and service was refuse. Every mechanic are frustrated to replace fluids on seal transmission because of proper fill.Most shops don't have proper tools. Did my FJ and no problems after refilled ck few times.Add some additional additive for transmission shredded. No problems after 10.000 miles.Never done a cumplit flash because not good in my opinion.
Levels very important on seal transmission and before changed be documented.
Next of course will be my Lexus under 30.000 miles.
Just for my knowledge .How much time will need a hydraulic oil to lose composition in a transmission ?. Maybe Toyota TRD could know?

#12 ·
I had a bad shudder at 45-50 mph on mine after I bought it (08 with 100k miles). Supercharged and I'd read about the torque converter issues so I had the converter replaced and the transmission flushed at my work. Still had the shudder but much reduced, after about 1500 miles it went away completely. Probably the valve body all along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.