Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Long time no see :)

Sorry for the long off... I was driving 馃殭

Recently I've replaced all my FJ's O2 sensors with this brand mentioned, as I found it cheaper than Denso.

So I reset the ecu after the installation with obdii stick

Test drive it

And... What do you know

It throws another codes:

I'm starting to suspect that the problem is a faulty fuel injector in bank 2 as it always smells gas in that side.

These are some of the results of O2 sensors I got after one of the test drives is done.

These results are before it starts throwing p0158 code
I don't have pictures of the p0158 codes and results but will post them when I do

So is it the O2 sensors brand?
Or is it something else?

The vehicle is FJ cruiser 2007 with magnaflow performance exhaust manifolds and Y pipe
The exhaust system is a 3 years old

Please help.

Attachments

Premium Member
Most of us will only use Denso brand sensors, because of their proven performance.

Sure, there are cheaper alternatives to try, then there are also tradeoffs. Sometimes it works out, or it causes more trouble.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture while warming up

While driving Check Engine light came on
And here what is wrong at moment

I'll try to switch there places when it cool down to see if there something wrong with the sensors

Ps: my denso sensors been changed due the same reason
Check Engine been on for 3 or 4 years now. :(
Stupid overpriced emissions :mad:

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello
a quick update.

So I did switch both rear o2 sensors location, just to make sure the sensor wasn't faulty.

Reset the ecu one more time
Did a test drive and:

It seems there is nothing wrong with the sensors... It's just a faulty fuel injector on bank 2
Which explains the excessive carbon on a new bank 2 sensors in a couple of days, also engines hesitation when I floor the gas pedal.

Since there is no good mechanics around my area...
It's gonna be a long trip tomorrow.:sick:

Please reply if you have an opinion regarding the subject. 馃げ
I'm just going on faith.:(

Edit
I forgot to post this
Still no CEL though

Registered
"Check Engine been on for 3 or 4 years now. :( "

Jeez, ignoring CEL for 3 or 4 years!!?? When OBDII turns on the CEL, it's generally trying to tell you something that may be important.

Having a leaking fuel injector for 3-4 years probably hasn't done that particular cylinder any good, and certainly hasn't done the Bank-2 cats any good.

Determining WHY the CEL was first turned on 4 years ago might have allowed you to detect the leaking injector when it FIRST started to go bad. Having run excessively rich for 4 years may have killed the Bank-2 cats, so a simple replacement of a fuel injector turned into replacement of fuel injector AND cats.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"Check Engine been on for 3 or 4 years now. :( "

Jeez, ignoring CEL for 3 or 4 years!!?? When OBDII turns on the CEL, it's generally trying to tell you something that may be important.

Having a leaking fuel injector for 3-4 years probably hasn't done that particular cylinder any good, and certainly hasn't done the Bank-2 cats any good.

Determining WHY the CEL was first turned on 4 years ago might have allowed you to detect the leaking injector when it FIRST started to go bad. Having run excessively rich for 4 years may have killed the Bank-2 cats, so a simple replacement of a fuel injector turned into replacement of fuel injector AND cats.
Hello

I thought it was just a sensor's issue before.
When I replaced the OEM exhaust for the magnaflow one... Due to idiocy of a mechanic I couldn't find later, who emptied one of the oem cats :mad:
Which was the cause of CEL in first place.
Which cost me around 1500$馃敟 "But good performance I give them that". :)
I was left after with the old sensors which I thought later that it got to be it.
I could not afford buying 4 of them for +500$ without a labor and give it to sheer luck

So I looked for alternatives which led me here depending on sheer luck for less money

I still don't know what is wrong and hoping to find it today with new injectors

If someone has an experience with the issue.
Please advise me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
hello again
a quick update to the situation

So I was blessed by finding an amazing mechanic "only 90 miles away" with an astonishing experience in almost all of Toyota engines

He start checking and I kept my mouth shut.

Same codes appeared but p2197 was gone on his PC

He after concluded that my pvc was clogged and everything else was fine.

He was right, it was clogged indeed.

But then when he reset the ecu told me it could be the timing belt, and better leave the ecu for 3 days at least without reset

So I left for drive test and I got this 锟硷考:

I hope he is right.
I really miss my a-trac :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Last update... Hopefully
The brand sucks
I just used my previous denso sensors which I thought they were faulty just to make sure.

I guess they work now
All that was just a clogged pcv valve

And the new sensors "automotive-leader"are faulty as hell

So I requested a refund.

Enjoy the green results.

Never other than Denso
Lesson learned o_O

Registered
Glad to hear the old Densos work correctly now, although from what I have read (not experienced yet) once you get beyond 100K-130K miles, it might be time to replace all the OEM Densos with new ones. Time will tell.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Glad to hear the old Densos work correctly now, although from what I have read (not experienced yet) once you get beyond 100K-130K miles, it might be time to replace all the OEM Densos with new ones. Time will tell.
Maybe you're right

Look at o2 heat monitor resistance.

There is +5 ohm difference.

Heat resistant fall bad sensor maybe? :rolleyes:

Because one of these S2 sensors is old and I bought the other one brand new 3 years ago.. Higher resistance one?

This second picture for the bad sensors I've bought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts