Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
A few months ago I bought my first FJ cruiser. I did replace the original headlights bulbs for LEDs. They work fine, but my AUX bumper lights (Hella 500) stopped working. I have tried many things described here on the forum, but I don't really know what the problem can be. AUX bumper lights are connected to high beams with OEM wiring.
I am using a canbus with the new leds, so my blue dash light is on when I turn on high beams.
I have tried the resistor trick (described here:#7) and does seem to work, it shows blue light in my dash panel, but AUX lights do not work.

I haven't tried this method (Aux Switch Hack) which I'm sure it is going to work, but it is not what I really want. If I find no solution at all, I will try this.

I have troubleshoot by going back to original halogen light bulbs, and AUX bumper lights do turn on, so it is not a wire, relay or fuse, I'm guessing.

I've also bought a set of LEDs to replace those AUX halogen lights, but not sure if they are going to work either given my current situation.

I know it is another post about AUX lights, but I really haven't found a solution yet, so I hope you guys can help.
Thanks!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,671 Posts
Sounds like a voltage issue with the swap to LED. Are you using the main beam live to power the Aux lights too or to trigger a relay?

I run LED headlights and LED aux bumper lights without issue. My bumper lights are dual wired with a change over switch so they either work with main beam or independently through a Switch Pro. The side that powers them from main beam uses the main beam live feed as the trigger wire to a relay that powers the lights. There is no reason for this not to work with any bulb type as far as I know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zeros.
Look like my limited knowledge is not letting me see the problem here. How can I know if they are being powered by the main beam live?

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Two questions:
1. Are your LED headlights "plug and play", just plugging directly into the original headlight sockets, or do they use an external current regulator?
2. Exactly where are you tying into the headlight circuit to get B+ to power the aux lights?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts