Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read quite a bit on here about the manefre aux fuel tank,seems to be the only option for more fuel except for jerry cans.If its not D.O.T approved or street legal as they advertise,how can they install one in an fj thats licensed for the highway.Why is it not street legal?Does anyone make one that is? Does anyone know the consequences of using it on the highway and getting caught?If you have to get smog test done for state inspection do you have to remove it beforehand?

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
1. Because they specifically advertise it as offroad only. They therefore believe they limit their liability. The user can choose to do what they please with their vehicle whether the MAF tank is installed or not. No one is checking to see if every vehicle with a MAF tank is only used offroad.

2. Because they haven't paid the $$ to go through DOT testing regimes.

3. Many places make tanks with are DOT compatible. None are designed for the FJ.

4. 50 lashes with a wet noodle

5. No smog here, only emissions...no issues with emissions, but I've never thrown a code either so smog would be fine as well.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Just a guess but would it be because it's vulnerable in a rear end collision?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Just a guess but would it be because it's vulnerable in a rear end collision?
Pinto syndrome.

I'll echo the above posts. If it were to be submitted to DOT for testing (at great expense) then it would certainly earn their mark. Plenty of vehicles have their fuel cells between the rear axle and rear frame member/bumper, like every Jeep Wrangler made.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The LC Prado tank is in the back and given the platform share probably bolts right in

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have to agree, DOT testing... plenty of other vehicles out there with rear tanks.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
And just to close the loop on this, for such a small volume product, the DOT testing would cost so much as to make the product utterly non-viable for sale. It's available for sale specifically because it's not been DOT certified.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Had a family friend who took a bunch of us kids to the Detroit Zoo in her Pinto in the mid to late 70's. We rode in the back, hatchback up, feet hanging out the back all the way to the zoo; freeways and all.
Those were the day, weren't they, Gunny? Can you imagine what someone would say if they saw that today? (aside from the fact that a Pinto was still on the road :lol: ) I remember my favorite place to ride as a kid was on the back window shelf or in the front passenger footwell!
How did we ever survive as a species?:twak:

·
Banned
393 Posts
Putting the fuel tank in the rear, between the bumper and the axle, was a common practice in the past. Since about 10 years ago, most manufacturers have moved the tank to a central location, in front of the rear axles. The reason is very simple - safety. Remember Ford Pinto? Here a link to another good example of why putting the fuel tank all the way in the back is a bad idea:
NHTSA Considers Jeep Grand Cherokee Recall For Fuel Tank Defect | InjuryBoard Kansas City
And another one
Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors
I doubt that the manufacturer of this fuel tank would even get a DOT approval, unless the tank is equipped with automatic fire suppression system (like the new police interceptors).

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just want a fuel tank with an extra 10 gallons for the FJ, make traveling so much nicer than having to stop every 3 hours for fuel

·
Registered
591 Posts
Does it need to be DOT approved? Are your floormats DOT approved? How about the carpet in your car? Wiper blades? Your driveshaft must be DOT approved, right? Nope.

Not everything needs to be DOT approved. I may be wrong with the gas tank, but I don't ever recall seeing a DOT stamp on any tank I've seen.

As far as the Pinto goes...

I seem to remember the Pinto that would actually "explode" on impact (only happens in movies) was recalled, and production changed. I think the original "exploding" Pintos are quite the collector's item.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just want a fuel tank with an extra 10 gallons for the FJ, make traveling so much nicer than having to stop every 3 hours for fuel
Bingo!!!

I wish Man-A-Fre or someone, would come up with a 10 to 12 gallon tank that could easily be tucked in (out of sight) under rear of the vehicle. I just would like a smaller option than the 19 gallon tank that hangs down in the back like a filled up babies diaper.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Bingo!!!

I wish Man-A-Fre or someone, would come up with a 10 to 12 gallon tank that could easily be tucked in (out of sight) under rear of the vehicle. I just would like a smaller option than the 19 gallon tank that hangs down in the back like a filled up babies diaper.
I think the reason this won't happen is that the sales volumes are already very low (very niche product) and that aside from aesthetics, there's no reason to build a smaller tank.

Remember Ford Pinto?
Hmm, no. Wait. You mean the same vehicle that was being joked about through the entire rest of the thread? :rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts