Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Toyota Owners website:

At the present time, Toyota is currently preparing the remedy.
What is the Condition? The subject Genuine Toyota Auxiliary Light Kit is specifically designed for 2007 to 2013 Model Year FJ Cruiser vehicles. The Auxiliary Light Kit consists of two 6–inch 55 Watt lights which are mounted on the front bumper inboard of the headlamp assemblies. The Auxiliary Light Kit can be illuminated when the driver activates the vehicle's high beam lights. The illumination of the Auxiliary Light Kit with the vehicle's high beams causes the vehicle to exceed one of the allowable lighting thresholds specified in FMVSS 108.

When will the Remedy be Available: The remedy procedures will be provided to each dealership in the near future. At which time, Toyota will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Additional information will be posted on this site once the remedy is available.

FAQ PDF
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...n/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/cp/d1gtofaq.pdf

·
Premium Member
11,091 Posts
G'day,
I wonder what "one of the allowable lighting thresholds" is ?
Too much light ... gosh golly almighty ....
Sounds like Govt inspired BS...
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,928 Posts
What a f'ing joke. Lights are too bright. I bet they'll slap in some lower wattage bulbs, and a goodday to you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"These lamp assemblies include 55-watt bulbs and due to this wattage, the combination of the upper beam headlamps plus the auxiliary lamps are too bright and exceed the maximum light output allowed for an upper beam headlamp," said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "Excessively bright lamps may temporarily blind oncoming drivers, increasing the risk of a crash."

Some how I doubt people will be exchanging their 55 watt bulbs for the proposed 35 watt bulbs. These are offroad lights not street lights.

2007-'13 Toyota FJ Cruiser With Light Kit Recalled For Excessively Bright Headlights | Edmunds.com

·
Registered
862 Posts
There’s a simple fix…..There’s a button on the console to turn them “OFF” when you turn on your highbeams…..Problem solved. But I guess the Guberment can’t see the forest for the trees……..

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Unbelievable, and yes there is an on/off switch which I do use. :disgust:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hah! What a joke. I bought my 2012 Army Green FJ from the dealer based only on the color web printout they provided to me. As the only FJ they had on the lot was sand color and I wanted AG. I also wanted the "Fog Lights" so judging by the printout I received fog lights. Nothing on that print out suggested it was aftermarket or SouthEast Toyota Distributors LLC installed accessory.

When the FJ was delivered I kept the window label and on it it shows it was SE Toyota Distributor installed option of LF1 Fog Lights.

They do seem to work as fog lights. They only come on if the headlights are dim and they have an aftermarket looking switch instead of a cool Toyota one.

At least it wasn't a total wasted service call as I guess I have genuine Toyota seatbelts and doors as allegedly they fixed the problem of cracking seatbelt mounts or whatever.

Also, part of the deal was to install the hitch for the toyota. I received a SE Toyo distro hitch...I guess... it says Reese and has a ugly bit of chrome around the receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
In for hellas instead
They are Hellas. I bought Hella grilles because I didn't want to take off the ugly covers every time to use them. They actually say Hella on them somewhere. Same thing with the Air dam lights. They are Hellas as well.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Aux Light Recall Instructions... Check out the new mounts.

Interesting but no thanks... :disgust:

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Auughh...I really don't want to do this one. I've really liked these lights for driving in rural areas, and am always prudent and responsible in diming them when oncoming traffic is noticed either on a straight away or a distant mountain curve.

Hopefully I can talk my local to dealer about this "fix," and get it resolved to my satisfaction. Otherwise, I think there will be another LED light bar in my future....

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
You can decline to have it "fixed". I did. I told them if they touch aux lights during the seatbelt fix, someone getting cut.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
They'll get my bulbs when they pry it from my cold dead hands
Damn Right..! :fight:

I'd bet Vinnie Jones from Euro Trip might have a thing or two to say about it...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had mine in for routine maintenance the other day and asked them if they could replace one of the OEM headlight brackets - which is already rusting after 2 years. They say they can't touch the bracket without performing the entire recall.

I kindly said HELL NO!

I LOVE those lights, especially since I live out in the country and/or when people forget to turn their brights off. :bigthumb:

I will learn to live with the rust spot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts