Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of my D2 installed and the other stereo equipment.

MB Quart DKE-108 3.5" for dash and rear pillars
Pioneer TS-A931P 6x9's
PIONEER ND-BC1 Rear View Camera
JL Audio Slash 300/4 Amp
JL Audio 8W3V2 8" Sub

The 3.5" are run off of the head unit and the 6x9's are running off the front channel of the amp while the sub is running of the rear channel of the amp which is bridged. The amp is mounted underneath the front passenger seat. We installed the Nav antenna on the back of the guage pod on the dash and the rear view camera in the center of the spare tire. I'm waiting for my mounting kit for the trim pieces for the head unit. I also have the PAC steering wheel control module so I can use the steering wheel controls but haven't programmed it yet.

Avic-D2 Photo 1
AVIC-D2 Map/Rear View
AVIC-D2 Rear View
MB Quart Dash Speakers
Pioneer 6x9 in Door
MB Quart Rear Pillar 1
MB Quart Rear Pillar 2
GPS Antenna Mounting Location
Rear View Camera Photo 1
Rear View Camera Photo 2
JL Audio Sub in OEM Enclosure
JL Audio Slash 300/4 Amp

It sounds soooo much better than stock! I am impressed with the 8" Sub too, all it needed was more power and it rocks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
ruskymx said:

Pioneer TS-A931P 6x9's
JL Audio Slash 300/4 Amp
JL Audio 8W3V2 8" Sub

The 3.5" are run off of the head unit and the 6x9's are running off the front channel of the amp while the sub is running of the rear channel of the amp which is bridged. The amp is mounted underneath the front passenger seat. We installed the Nav antenna on the back of the guage pod on the dash and the rear view camera in the center of the spare tire. I'm waiting for my mounting kit for the trim pieces for the head unit. I also have the PAC steering wheel control module so I can use the steering wheel controls but haven't programmed it yet.

Avic-D2 Photo 1
AVIC-D2 Map/Rear View
AVIC-D2 Rear View
MB Quart Dash Speakers
Pioneer 6x9 in Door
MB Quart Rear Pillar 1
MB Quart Rear Pillar 2
Rear View Camera Photo 1
Rear View Camera Photo 2
JL Audio Slash 300/4 Amp

It sounds soooo much better than stock! I am impressed with the 8" Sub too, all it needed was more power and it rocks!
Greaet pics!!

We just bought our Black Cherry FJ two days ago. I am looking at the D2 and the Z1 trying to make up my mind (other than cost of course). Couple of questions.

How is the interaction with IPOD? Can you navigate through the screens, etc. Basically looking to never touch the IPOD once it is plugged. Also, where did you put your IPOD. This all of course assumes that you will be using an IPOD :)

Do you miss not being able to view DVDs? My main purpose for DVD viewing will be for the youngster....so I guess I could just go with the hang over the seat method. I believe the Z1 will/can control other "screens" mounted, for instance, in the headrest, etc.

Also, if you don't mind could you let me know what you paid for this (also $$ if you had it installed). PM is fine. I just want to make sure my local guy is on the up and up.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
ruskymx said:

We installed the Nav antenna on the back of the guage pod on the dash and the rear view camera in the center of the spare tire. I'm waiting for my mounting kit for the trim pieces for the head unit.

Avic-D2 Photo 1
AVIC-D2 Map/Rear View
AVIC-D2 Rear View
MB Quart Dash Speakers
Pioneer 6x9 in Door
MB Quart Rear Pillar 1
MB Quart Rear Pillar 2
Rear View Camera Photo 1
Rear View Camera Photo 2
JL Audio Slash 300/4 Amp

Very nice setup. I intend to order the Black Cherry FJ as soon as I rearrange some finances.
My question is about the GPS Antenna mounted in the front window. Is it robust enough to stand the glare of the summer sun magnified by the windshield?

Also how are the wires for the rear view wires routed to the spare tire?
Thank you...

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
FJ2Viper said:
Was the sub enclosure built for the FJ? Looks good.
That is the Factory Opt'd sub enclosure that comes in UP1 or UP2. He just replaced the sub speaker. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
ruskymx said:

Pioneer TS-A931P 6x9's
JL Audio Slash 300/4 Amp
JL Audio 8W3V2 8" Sub

Avic-D2 Photo 1
AVIC-D2 Map/Rear View
AVIC-D2 Rear View
MB Quart Dash Speakers
Pioneer 6x9 in Door
MB Quart Rear Pillar 1
MB Quart Rear Pillar 2
Rear View Camera Photo 1
Rear View Camera Photo 2
JL Audio Slash 300/4 Amp

I'm jealous man. You just installed everything I wanted. Great job!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have roughly the same set up in my FJ. included also iPod connection kit.. but am a disappointed about how the Avic-D2 controls the iPod.. finding something on your iPod is a nightmare..click click click click....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all your comments! I find myself wanting to drive my FJ all the time now to work even though I specifically bought a '95 Tercel with the "total inconvenience package" ("armstrong " steering, 4-spd manual, radio, no cassete even, but somehow it does have AC, which is good and it blows cold) to drive back and forth to work. 209K and still getting 38-40mpg! Whereas the FJ, I'm averaging 15-16 with the bigger tires. :cheers:
bonkuba
I couldn't tell you about the IPOD because I actually don't have one yet. I work at a Toyota dealership and they're going to have a walk-around contest on trucks and the winner gets a 30G IPOD so I'm going to try to win that first b4 I buy one.

The DVD part I'm going to probably get that 6-disc DVD changer that Pioneer has. I found it on eBay for $435 or so which is better than the $650 MSRP.

I paid $990 shipped off of eBay for my unit. I did the install myself along with the help of a friend. We installed it so that I can use it while driving if I needed to or have a passenger do it so I wouldn't have to stop and put the ebrake on. From what I read, I should be able to play movies then via the DVD changer.

royalLD
The wires for the rear view are routed down from the black "hub" that the wheel mounts on down to the gray plastic on the bottom of the rear door. From there, we took off the rear door panel and routed the wire through the existing factory cluster of wires and then down the driver's side of the FJ.

As for the antenna, I guess only time will tell but the instructions say that it can be mounted on the rear deck also (if it was a car) instead of the roof so I'm guessing it will be OK.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sos10 said:
Have roughly the same set up in my FJ. included also iPod connection kit.. but am a disappointed about how the Avic-D2 controls the iPod.. finding something on your iPod is a nightmare..click click click click....
Is the Z1 supposed to be better......I hear that it is.

·
Registered
763 Posts
sos10 said:
Make a playlist on your Ipod! That always makes it easier.:roller:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Can anyone describe how to access playlists on the D2 using the Pioneer interface? I have also considered using a soundgate cable into the CD changer port that allows you to charge and control using the scroll wheel.

ron21 said:
Make a playlist on your Ipod! That always makes it easier.:roller:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bonkuba I just purchased a DIN sized DVD Player at Fry's for $79 and mounted it in the glove box. It works like a champ. Has a little remote sensor eye up at the corner of the windshield and plays through the aux input of the stereo. With the 'grounding' mod it plays anytime. In additiona to watching movies it will also play MP3/WMAs on dual layer 8.xGb disks.

The Z1's only real advantage to me is that you can use the Bluetooth kit, but I still don't know if it's worth the price difference. You never remove the Nav DVD from the unit, so it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Adam

·
Registered
295 Posts
just curious what all that cost, i am interested in evetually upgrading the speakers in the near future, and did you just install the jl sub, or was there another modification in there? thanks in advance,
Rob

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
For Ipod 1. play a song 2. hold down pause button while pluggin in ipod. (took a couple of tries to get this right the first couple of times). 3. press menu. You should have full control over the ipod.

Cheaper way. use a video cable from a video camera with l and right audio with video to mini plug. Probably could set the aux adapter to use this. You wil ahve to use right channel (red for video) yellow and white for audio (cant remember off the top of my head which is which. You will be able to use this trough the video input into the unit and be able to play music and video through video. (remember to set up under options). Downfall cant charge unit.

Personally I juse method one and have playlists with most of the music I like.
50 gigs or so is alot to go through on the unit with the limited info it gives you. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
I just installed an AVIC-D2...Cool setup!
I'm using a camera wire with 3 RCA plug (Yellow=Video/Red=Right/White=Left)
and a mini plug at the other end(the mini is a 4 wire plug).
I took the FJ's AUX audio input and turned it into a Audio/Video input by replacing the 3 wire plug to a 4 wire plug.
Now I can watch DVD's via the AUX plug.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts