Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have my 2007 FJ and in 2008 I installed a D3 with Bluetooth, Sirius, and PAC SWI-PS steering wheel controller.
Now, I’m trying to replace that unit with an AVIC-8500 and am a bit at a loss how to proceed.
I’m pulling out and dumping all the Bluetooth and Sirius rats nest of devices and cables.

Can I still use the same steering wheel controller and if so, does it need to be reprogrammed or any wiring changed?

Thanks a ton in advance!
PS-none of the D3 wiring plugs fit the 8500 (power/speaker plug came close, but no cigar).

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Metra is a company that makes adaptors for just your situation. Also, Crutchfield sells Metra and other adaptors with their units (and has great tech support). I bet if you reached out to them they can quickly solve it for you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metra is a company that makes adaptors for just your situation. Also, Crutchfield sells Metra and other adaptors with their units (and has great tech support). I bet if you reached out to them they can quickly solve it for you.
Thanks for the prompt feedback.
I checked out their site...they had a solution for $94 (plus shipping and tax, I presume).
I was hoping for a cheaper solution since I already have some hardware in hand.

PS
- Turns out the steering wheel interface I have is not a PAC, but is a Peripheral Electronics unit (PESWIPS.....Peripheral Electronics Power Steering Interface for Pioneer and Sony).
They do not show this on their web site any longer. :(
931D7D5C-7587-4212-8E9A-C73B984C5844.jpeg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have my 2007 FJ and in 2008 I installed a D3 with Bluetooth, Sirius, and PAC SWI-PS steering wheel controller.
Now, I’m trying to replace that unit with an AVIC-8500 and am a bit at a loss how to proceed.
I’m pulling out and dumping all the Bluetooth and Sirius rats nest of devices and cables.

Can I still use the same steering wheel controller and if so, does it need to be reprogrammed or any wiring changed?

Thanks a ton in advance!
PS-none of the D3 wiring plugs fit the 8500 (power/speaker plug came close, but no cigar).
PS-
I am also concerned about connecting the subwoofer...any pics or links to a “How to”?

·
Registered
535 Posts
The avic-w8500nex has a wired remote input for your steering wheel control - not sure if you will need to reprogram it or not.

Replace D3 harness with 8500 harness (color for color). if subwoofer was working before it should still work.

Installation manuals for both units are available online (if you want to verify wire colors)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I also kinda need some wiring info on the FJ.
At this point, everything seems to be working except for the backup camera operation. I need to find the best place ( or any place) to tap the reverse gear position (purple with white stripe on Pioneer).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks a ton in advance!
Edit:
At this point, everything seems to be working except for the backup camera operation. I need to find the best place ( or any place) to tap the reverse gear position (purple with white stripe on Pioneer) on the FJ.
Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
229 Posts

Try this thread. Kick panel seems to be the beat place. Please post results and photos. Lots of people interested.
Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Try this thread. Kick panel seems to be the beat place. Please post results and photos. Lots of people interested.
Good luck.
Oh...so this guy had an FJ with a factory camera. My 2007 does not have a factory camera...wonder if the reverse signal might still be in that plug? I’m guessing that plug does not even exist in the 2007....but I’ll keep ya posted.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
The reverse camera was not introduced, even as an option, until 2009, so you can rest assured there is no related wiring on your '07 vehicle.

Pioneer provides a super long wire with their backup camera, which works with their head units, and it was pretty easy to install it on my '08 (also too early for any factory wiring related to it).

To install it you simply route it along the floor, or roof, from the front to the rear. They provide little ramps so you can jump over the back door weatherstrip.

If you want to get fancy and run the new wire through the back door wire harness grommet, it can be done, just need to be clever (remove everything around it, pull out the washer hose to provide space, run the new wire, put the washer hose back and reinstall everything).

Note that you will have to drill a hole in your back door to get the camera wire routed to the spare tire mount. Take off the entire spare tire mount, drill the hole (gulp), rust proof the edges of the new hole. Make sure you already have a grommet to match the size of hole you made, and you're all set.

Or, you can mount it in the rear bumper, which works, but doesn't provide any kind of a "plan view", so judging distances isn't as easy as a higher up camera.

Or, you can mount it on the roof rack (make sure the new camera is waterproof), but you still have to drill a hole somewhere to get the wire up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts