Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Avoiding problems with "refurbished" motor

7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  r81gsr95 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I follow the forum and really enjoy the info.

Here's my tale of woe. Last fall, with about 460,000 miles on my 2007 FJ, engine started running real rough, lost of dash warning lights, etc. My mechanic said timing chain was going - had never done anything to the timing chain previously so I guess it was time. Up until this, my FJ was a beast, a beast I tell you, never have had ANY problems with it, and it doesn't even rattle yet.

Anyway, head to a used Toy parts dealer, the guy finds me a motor (from a 2006 Taco with 106,000 miles), he does some stuff to it, including new timing chain, sends it to my mechanic, my mechanic installs the new motor and it's been a nightmare ever since.

#2 ·
This is a continuation of my last (previous) post because I must have hit send somehow

Anyway, since the motor was installed, it's been a nightmare: motor makes some unusual clanging/clacking sounds that my mechanic thinks is the timing chain guards, the motor burns about 2 quarts of oil every 3-5 thousand miles and a few other minor things.

The shop I bought the motor from decided he would find me a new motor but he will not pay for any labor to swap the two motors. Not wanting to find myself in the same boat again, is there anything that I can do to check our the replacement motor to make sure it's fit for purpose?

Roland
San Jose, California
2007 FJ Cruiser, 4X4, no mods

#3 ·
I would get that replacement motor and tell that company not to touch anything on the motor. Sounds like they don`t have the skills to replace anything. Find a different shop to replace :)

Reactions: PhoS
#5 ·
Depends on your budget. The deeper you go to check parts the more expensive it gets

At the very least a compression check on each cylinder.
Sounds like your rings were shot in the first replacement if it was burning oil. This can also ruin your cats.

Taking everything apart and checking for wear and clearances then replacing wore parts is the only way to assure you have a good engine.

#6 ·
What happened to your original engine? Why didn't you just replace the timing chain on that?

#8 ·
Those junk yards play games to make money.
Sometimes it just cheaper to buy new parts from Toyota in long run.Learn my lesson.
For new used engine I will not take a ward what they say until have some testing or warranty.
I do all my repairs and never like to do things twice. Stay away from eBay used parts.
Order a front axle shaft and when I ceck was garbage.
I don't take any chances and buy a new shaft from Toyota and job done once. ? ?

#9 ·
I call b.s. on a 2006 Taco with 106,000 miles on the engine. The timing chain should not have needed changed at 106,000 miles and should not be burning oil. This used motor sounds like it was in worse condition than your original motor was. Sorry I feel you got scammed. Most Toyota engines that old are running 300 to 400,000 miles plus.

#10 ·
So what I am understanding is that you bought the the motor from a "used Toyota parts dealer" that bought the motor from someone else and had your mechanic install it. Your mechanic did what you paid them to do. Last fall is a long time ago. You might be able to take the "used Toyota parts dealer" to small claims court for total compensation plus a lost engine core and or cost to remove their engine if they want it back. Sounds like your FJ might be out of service for awhile unless you start throwing lots of cash at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.