Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a four wheeler for several years (Willys, fj40, 4Runner), I'm looking to replace my '98 4Runner (290k miles) with an FJ cruiser.. Looking at the ads I see that several indicate that their FJ is AWD. Am I mistaken, but I thought that the FJ had 4WD rather than AWD. Do these folk not know the difference?
-Richard

·
Registered
61 Posts
Manual FJ’s are full time 4WD which is an AWD type engagement. Clutch plates in the xFer box divert torque rear/front and the slippage keeps the front end from binding in turns. When the Manual FJ is put in 4H then the clutch locks up. Automatic FJ’s are considered part time 4WD. The xFer box disconnects front/rear in 2H mode or locks front/rear in 4H mode (no clutch plates).

The Automatic FJs have self locking hubs. The manual FJ hubs are always locked.

That is my understanding at least.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Reactions: PNutts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Correct, but:

6MT is AWD and 4WD. AT is 2WD and 4WD.
That's right. Your MT-6 is always pulling on all four with about 40/60 power distribution front/rear. When you snick it in 4WD it locks up and the power distribution is 50/50. You really don't notice it because there's no drive train whine like in your typical Bronco or IH Scout.

I was a bit disappointed when I found out that my '07 FJ MT-6 was AWD because I thought that it impacted the fuel consumption. Then, when I got the '14 Taco and was pining for another FJ, I decided that I didn't care. Hence the '14 TTUE. lol

Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts