Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I hope this is the right section for this question. If not, please move.

Is it safe to have holes in the Axe or Shovel handle?? I'm working on a holder/mount for these and I'm trying to figure mounting options for my design. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Would depend on the type of handle, how you drill the hole, where the hole is located, and how hard you use them.

btw, change the avatar and get more responses! :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I assume you'll have at least 2 holes. The one at the top end won't be a problem. The one near the business end could be. Drill it front to back on the shovel. Use the smallest hole you can. Dig and chop, but pry as little as possible.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Probably O.K. for a fiberglass shaft but will make a serious weak spot on a wood shaft and will allow water to collect inside the hole and rot from the inside. Napolean is right. It will tend to break at the distal hole. If you drill out a wooden shaft, at least coat the inside of the hole with marine varnish or Watco oil.
Use an axe with a synthetic handle too-stronger and lighter.

Add: your avatar creeps me out a bit as well. Are you a child psycologist?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Fibreglass or steel yes, no problem. After a while the unsealed ends of the fibreglass may start to fray, but provided you are not trying to lift your FJ with the handle it should be fine.

- SK

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I bought these the are pretty nice... also bough the hi-lift mount
fourtreks .com
Dual Modular Tool Mounts
Dual Modular Tool Mounts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Instead of drilling holes in the handles would quick fists work for your application? I originally put my axe and shovel inside the back door with quick fists. I have since removed the shovel because I just don't like the one I have.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
On my last Jeep, I drilled into the wooden handles of an axe and a shovel. But then, I tapped steel sleeves into the holes - the I.D. was like a 1/4"... then I ran a bolt from the inside of the roof rack (basket), put a nut on the bolt to secure it to the rack, then the shovel/axe then a wingnut - never rattled... worked great. The shovel and axe never seemed affected by the holes.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with any material you drill through for a handle. No holes is better, though. Any material you remove creates a possible failure area. Shovels are for digging...not prying big, heavy stuff loose. More small shovel fulls of material will save your back and lessen the chance of handle breakage. :)

I've got a shovel that's almost as old as me with two holes (1/4") in the handle (wood) and it has shoveled just fine all these years.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the great info. I'll order a couple of the quick fists to have on hand while trying to figure out my options. Where did you get yours from??

·
Registered
449 Posts
just be careful when you drill it

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Sierra Expeditions has them. Not sure who else has them.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I have holes in both my fiberglass axe and shovel from when I use to keep them on my roof in my homemade mounts.

The holds have not seemed to weaken either tool.

I no longer use the home brewed roof mounts, I use Fourtrek's dual ax/shovel mounts which use the Quickfist things.

Dual Modular Tool Mounts

They use the same round rings as my Hi-Lift mount.

Hi-Lift Roll Bar Mounts 1.75

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to be a smart ass, but what is everyone's obsession with mounting axes on their FJs? It has to be for looks. Granted it does make the rig look like it is ready for the wilderness, but come on. If you need something for emergencies like cutting tree limbs, why not carry a small tree saw. Those are about 10% of the size and weight of an axe. Some of them are small enough to fit in the storage compartment where the jack mounts.

:fight:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts