Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got my lift installed and just today mounted the wheels. :clap: Lift is OME heavy/med lift. Had it installed by Moose's 4x4 in Hartford, WI. They did a pretty decent job. $450 + alignment.

Results:

LF +2.5 in
RF +2.5 in
LR +2.0 in
RR +3.0 in

I'm a bit confused by the numbers especially the rear, but I may have measured on uneven asphalt. No matter.....it looks sweet.

Now for the tires. I have been reading the forums over and over and over, trying to figure out what size tires to go with. So, cuz I wanted the biggest and widest without getting into too much trouble, I decided to go with the BFG Mud Terrain KM 305/70 R16 (that comes out to about 33" x 12") from Wal-mart ($260 each including delivery to your local Walmart store). I ran these on my 99 Jeep Wrangler and they performed exceptionally well in mud and semi-dry mud. They also clean very well if you spin em fast enough. Not terribly big, but good enough for me especially since this is my main commuter. The wheels are Pro Comp black steelies, 16" x 8" with 4" BS from Wheeler's Offroad. Tires Plus mounted and static balanced them. Weights are inside rim. Ran em up to about 65 mph and no shaking. AND.....To my surprise, NO RUBBING on the body mount. Of course, this is only a road test. I know they will rub once I start articulating the suspension. So, the body mount chop is forthcoming. I'm extremely anxious to test my ride on mother earth's real terrain. My pictures are below. Enjoy!

1st pic - Before lift....virgin
2nd pic - after lift
3rd and 4th pics - new tires and rims
5th pic - clearance from body mount

Attachments

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
looks good! i also had the BFG MTs on my '89 jeep wrangler. i remember the tires looking narrower than the ATs i mounted later on, which i think is due to the MTs having a narrower section width. in combination with the good backspacing of your wheels, this may be why you are not experiencing rubbing. if you mounted the newer MT KM2 tires in the same size, you would probably experience the rub. again, looking good!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks good! i also had the BFG MTs on my '89 jeep wrangler. i remember the tires looking narrower than the ATs i mounted later on, which i think is due to the MTs having a narrower section width. in combination with the good backspacing of your wheels, this may be why you are not experiencing rubbing. if you mounted the newer MT KM2 tires in the same size, you would probably experience the rub. again, looking good!
Thanks FloJo. I spent a crapload of time reviewing the stock dimensions and clearances and what I needed for the new wheels. What really helped me was the tool at Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES

You can compare two different wheel/tire combinations. Pretty nice tool, I think.
Axle

·
Premium Member
17,095 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Nice - I like those tires...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steve , looks great with the whole package together . It was nice BS'n with ya the other day. You know when we left Speedway I was almost tempted to go over to Tires + and wait to see the outcome.

Nice choices man , shoot me an email or something if you feel like stopping over for some detailing. I hope to stop by moose this week with the 4R . I must say after BS'n Im getting the FJ itch , but financially not doable so the 4R is going to get some more toys if I can find some 17" FJ alloys for the right price.

Nice job man !! Good choices

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Nice wheels, i have those with my swampers. Even though you have clearance in the driveway, you may want to recheck after you have wheeled with them. If you see worn paint on the mount, or smoothed edges of your MT's, then they are rubbing. I think most people running a 12"wide or wider tire have rubbed. Maybe your rims have something to do with it not rubbing. How close are you to the UCA?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts