Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice FJ's and pics! I was going to suggest an in-tank pump. I hope it fixes your problem. Is your FJ60 fuel injected?

Which Demello bumper are you getting? I called last week and told they should ship this coming week!
Thanks.

The in tank pump did the job. I'm pretty psyched.

It is fuel injected. It's a Vortec, which is a fairly high pressure (50-60 psi) system that is pretty sensitive to even marginal loss of pressure, apparently.

It's a Demello Aluminum Single hoop. I bet mine is in the same batch as yours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's good news! Fuel problems with FI conversions on older cars is an issue. There are some really good products out there now. I know you already converted to in tank but here is a link for Carl at vaporworx.com. He has developed a great fuel system that is geared towards road racing and autox but I suspect even a 4x4 could benefit from the PWM controller and the factory GM fuel modules. Just in case you develop new problems down the road.
FWIW, I have his setup in my Chevelle and have had zero problems with it since installed 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's good news! Fuel problems with FI conversions on older cars is an issue. There are some really good products out there now. I know you already converted to in tank but here is a link for Carl at vaporworx.com. He has developed a great fuel system that is geared towards road racing and autox but I suspect even a 4x4 could benefit from the PWM controller and the factory GM fuel modules. Just in case you develop new problems down the road.
FWIW, I have his setup in my Chevelle and have had zero problems with it since installed 2 years ago.
Interesting. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
The Cargo Area. Adventure Trailers Custom Fridge Enclosure with slide for Engel 45, MPAC Side Rack, and Raingler Barrier. The custom enclosure is made from lightweight composite, minimizing weight. It allows easy access to the fridge with the slide, and the enclosure allows utilization of the space around and above the fridge; critical, since we are dealing with a limited amount of cargo space to start out with.
Me likey the airplane style seat track with quick release movable tie-downs.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just returned from Colorado after installation of my new "front end":

It's got a:
Demello Single Hoop Aluminum
Warn M8000S
Acro lights
Prolink
Black TT Front Grill
New Ricochet bash plate (non HD; obtained just before they were discontinued)

I love the new look and functionality.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in ride quality in the rear with the airbag supports added? I'm in the same boat you are, I've added weight to the back and want to raise the rear about 1/4" but not go to a 3" spring.

I like the way the truck drives currently, but looking for alternative.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have you noticed any difference in ride quality in the rear with the airbag supports added? I'm in the same boat you are, I've added weight to the back and want to raise the rear about 1/4" but not go to a 3" spring.

I like the way the truck drives currently, but looking for alternative.
Unfortunately, I put the airbags on my truck at the same time I put the rear suspension on so it's a little difficult to say how it rides with and without the airbags. But overall, the new setup overall is a vast improvement from stock. The consensus about airbags that I've learned, however, is that the airbag provides increased spring rates and lift proportionate to the amount they are pressurized. The main cost, I understand, would be in suspension travel, and that would be decreased. I have never found that to be an issue in my use so far although I assume that I don't push suspension travel maximally in my offroad pursuits. I really like the adjustability of the airbags for added loads (trailers, cargo, etc), but I think they might be somewhat cumbersome to have to regularly adjust them if they are used to manage a constant load (such as bumpers, aux fuel tanks, etc). They say they slowly lose air pressure so you would have to check them periodically, although I haven't tested this.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
^^ Appreciate the feedback. That was one of my worries regarding the constant load if using them to offset weight, etc.

I currently run the TT SuperFlex and they seem to do what they are suppose to and not sag to much. However, I've added the rear cargo drawer and that's another 140lbs along with tools and recovery gear. I may opt to a different spring rate, but I love the way the springs are in the back, not to much hardness.

Going to a medium or heavy load spring (OME) may be overkill unless, I suppose I add a rear bumper?

BTW: Any chance you can take a picture of your frig, extended out from the back and close up of the slider? Interested to see how it operates, looks awesome!!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
^^ Appreciate the feedback. That was one of my worries regarding the constant load if using them to offset weight, etc.

I currently run the TT SuperFlex and they seem to do what they are suppose to and not sag to much. However, I've added the rear cargo drawer and that's another 140lbs along with tools and recovery gear. I may opt to a different spring rate, but I love the way the springs are in the back, not to much hardness.

Going to a medium or heavy load spring (OME) may be overkill unless, I suppose I add a rear bumper?

BTW: Any chance you can take a picture of your frig, extended out from the back and close up of the slider? Interested to see how it operates, looks awesome!!
No problem.

I was considering OME mediums as my next step up for increased constant/static load carrying but the ICONs seem to be doing the job for now. I recall that the Superflexes have a relatively low spring rate. I believe there is an old table in the forums that lists them (Jeshua, I think, is the old/now inactive member who posted it).

Don't have a pic of the fridge slide in action but I'll take one when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Hello. Nice build! Could you give me some information on where you got that Boztec antennae mount on the back? I can't seem to find that one and I would like to mount my antennae in the same location. Thanks!

Also, is it necessary to use the firestick coil in conjunction with it? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello. Nice build! Could you give me some information on where you got that Boztec antennae mount on the back? I can't seem to find that one and I would like to mount my antennae in the same location. Thanks!

Also, is it necessary to use the firestick coil in conjunction with it? Thanks again.
Thanks "Mikey" from PV (I'm originally from Manhattan Beach) :wave:

I believe I purchased the Boztec from TRDParts4U but I think it also is available from the Boztec website. The advantage of the Boztec, if you weren't already aware, over the Bandi Mount is that it is stainless steel. The Bandi is not and is known to rust pretty quickly, and I'd expect the proximity to the ocean could be a problem with that.

As far as the firestick spring coil, you can mount it without the coil but if the antenna hits something (garage door, tree branch, etc), it could potentially stress the mount. Of course it does add to the total height though. There is also a quick release that most people add to the install (from Firestick) but I omitted that to keep it low enough to go through the garage door. Maybe it's a little less apt to walk off without the quick release too.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Thanks, I was able to find the spring rate comparison. This gives me a better understanding of rear spring weight rating. Those OME springs, have a really high rate! You need some serious weight in the rear to compensate for the stiffness.

I think the SuperFlex, may be good option at the moment. I guess I'll justify going to a higher rate if I start adding more weight in the rear.

Spring . . . . . . . . . . . . Lift . . . . . . . . Length . . . . . . . Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Made in
Stock. . . . . . . . . . . . base . . . . . . 14.88" . . . . . . . . ~190lb
All Pro. . . . . . . . . . . . +2" . . . . . . .15.75" . . . . . . . .15% stiffer then stock;~218lb . . . . . USA
Deaver. . . . . . . . . . . .+2.5". . . . . .16.5" . . . . . . . . . 30% stiffer then stock;~240lb. . . . . USA
Icon VD. . . . . . . . . . . +2" . . . . . . .15.75" . . . . . . . ...15% stiffer then stock;~218lb. . . . . USA
Sway-a-way. . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .----- . . . . . . . . .12% stiffer then stock;~213lb
Downey . . . . . . . . . . .+1.5" . . . . .. 16.13" . . . . . . . .~22% stiffer then stock;232lb
OME895 . . . . . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .15.35" . . . . . . . .~37% stiffer then stock;260lb . . . . . Australia
OME896 . . . . . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .15.35" . . . . . . . .~67% stiffer then stock;318lb . . . . . Australia
OME897 . . . . . . . . . . .+2" . . . . . . .15.35" . . . . . . . .~103% stiffer then stock;387lb. . . . . Australia
Toytecs "Superflex". . .+2.5". . . . . .17.00". . . . . . . . ~15% stiffer then stock;218lb. . . . . . USA
Rough Country. . . . . . .+2". . . . . . . .16.56". . . . . . . .~16% stiffer then stock;220lb

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Thanks "Mikey" from PV (I'm originally from Manhattan Beach) :wave:

I believe I purchased the Boztec from TRDParts4U but I think it also is available from the Boztec website. The advantage of the Boztec, if you weren't already aware, over the Bandi Mount is that it is stainless steel. The Bandi is not and is known to rust pretty quickly, and I'd expect the proximity to the ocean could be a problem with that.

As far as the firestick spring coil, you can mount it without the coil but if the antenna hits something (garage door, tree branch, etc), it could potentially stress the mount. Of course it does add to the total height though. There is also a quick release that most people add to the install (from Firestick) but I omitted that to keep it low enough to go through the garage door. Maybe it's a little less apt to walk off without the quick release too.
Got it. I ordered one yesterday along with the firestick coil.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A Quasi Update

Realized some of the pics are outdated. I'll get to work on that.

More exciting (to me), just ordered an LRA Aux Fuel tank from Outback Proven. That will force some suspension mods (Change to OME medium versus heavy from my ICON springs). As Ben at Outback Proven says, that will be the cure to "Range Anxiety", i.e. worrying about whether you have enough fuel for a given trip. Given the FJCs miniscule stock tank, that seems to be a "condition" that I suffer from continuously. The tank will also bring me closer to striking distance for "finishing" this build.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
How much additional fuel does the tank hold?
30 gallons! More than enough fuel for any possible scenario. That's why I need to beef up my suspension (although the air bags allow me to compensate for that as well). I expect I frequently will run with only a partial fill.

Badass rig. Really digging the mods you have on it and I'm jealous as **** of your SC!
Thanks btw.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts