Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how did you guys like the mine? Did anyone take a tour? Curious on feedback for this....

I know we didn't provide written directions for this, so I apologize for that one. Hopefully everyone that wanted to go was able to make it....

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Boston, the breakfast tasted great. I didn't allow myself adequate time to do the mine tour and then the group photo, so I skipped the tour. There isn't a lot of parking at the mine, so it is probably a good thing that many folks didn't drive up there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My two girls and I did the tour, and we really enjoyed it! You go in about 1800 feet and the guide gives a 45 minute presentation that was very informative. We all liked it a lot!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So how did you guys like the mine? Did anyone take a tour? Curious on feedback for this....

I know we didn't provide written directions for this, so I apologize for that one. Hopefully everyone that wanted to go was able to make it....
They abbreviated the tour for us to about 20 minutes, which allowed the first group to just get down in time for the group photo.

The tour itself was very cool. You go way back into the mountain and he demonstrates some drilling techniques. It sounded like the other people on the train with me liked it as well, and were wishing they didn't have to leave before he finished the full length tour.

The only negative was that unless you jumped in that first group and took the short tour, it conflicted with the group photo.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah - we should have made it 9:30 for the group photo. Problem was that a lot of people really wanted to hit the road early, so it was a tough balance to come up with..

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
The breakfast was great. Not a ton of people, like you said, there were a bunch of conflicting agendas, leaving early, waking up late and then having to get to the group photo, etc. I took the 20 minute abbreviated tour and wished I had time for a longer one. Here is a real bad photo inside the mine during the tour

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The group photo was sight to behold. It was appropriate to move it up to 9:00 AM so people could hit the road. I just didn't plan well and get up to the mine early enough for the tour. Breakfast and tours started at 7:00 AM, plenty of time. I'm okay with doing the mine tour and photo shoot next year, assuming that we go to Ouray again. Let's hear it for Ouray!

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I'm okay with doing the mine tour and photo shoot next year, assuming that we go to Ouray again. Let's hear it for Ouray!
Ouray! Ouray! Ouray!!!

Let's go!

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah - we should have made it 9:30 for the group photo. Problem was that a lot of people really wanted to hit the road early, so it was a tough balance to come up with..
Having the group photo as early as possible was the right choice. Any earlier and the sun wouldn't have been on all the FJs. Any later would have delayed a lot of people's long trips home.

The mine tours didn't start till 8:00, though, so that meant only one group got to do the tour and get back in time for the group photo. The only thing I can think would help would be to see if they could start tours earlier for us, and/or mention that there were tours throughout the day for those folks who did stay late on Sunday. Or, mine tours on Friday/Saturday for the late starters then.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Went there right after the group photo. So got the long tour. really interesting, like when the guide turned off the lights. Just a single candle, the way they did it back in the day.

Glad I did it. Next will be the Old 100 mine in Silverton.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts