Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I want to ask for some advice on my case.Today i did open my back door to put some things and when i did try to close the door won't close so i did check the actuator and is like loose...see video.Should i try to fix or should i buy a new one.If some brands options could be recommend will be very appreciated because the oem one is 200+

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Video did not upload.
If it is just unclipped from the ball stud you may be able to reset the little steel clip in its groove in the socket and re-attach it to the ball stud.
If the socket is broken, or the little steel clip is missing, then you may have to buy a new one. Not aware of any aftermarket alternatives, particularly with the "hold open" feature of the OEM one. One other option is to buy a used one from a scrapyard.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Are you sure you didn't just accidentally lock the damper in the LOCKED position?

Does the black locking sleeve in the center of the damper audibly snap between the LOCKED and UNLOCKED position?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you didn't just accidentally lock the damper in the LOCKED position?

Does the black locking sleeve in the center of the damper audibly snap between the LOCKED and UNLOCKED position?
Well I did open the door to put some things with my remote controller and than when I did want to close the locking mechanism won't retract.I did press the backdoor handle and push with the key the look to the position and than I could close the door.If I open with the controller and key the door will open but my problem is to close because the locking mechanism won't go to the correct or normal position..something more is that if you push the mechanism with something is like loose...don;t know if is normal but is like that.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
iRick -

Unfortunately your description of the problem is not very clear, there is no video to help clarify what you are talking about, and it's not clear what you mean by the "actuator".

1. Does the rear door close all the way, but just will not engage the door latching mechanism?
or
2. Does the door not close at all, seeming to be stuck fully open by the 'damper' at the bottom of the door?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I think he's talking about the internal latch mechanism in the back door. A common issue with them is the upper bear claw when in the open (unlatched) position "droops" and stays partially rotated in the 1st catch position and impeding the striker from properly entering the latch opening. Now in the way of normal operation, the striker can't enter and rotate the upper and lower claws into the latched position when the door is closed.

Chineseium latch assemblies are about $75. OEM Toyota are ~$300.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts