Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased two new replacement back door (back storage door) dampers. I thought that I had installed the first one incorrectly, but the second one did the same thing. After closing door completely, as the door is opened again the damper falls off of the door attach point! Yes, the little clips are holding the ball joint in properly , I can close (almost) and open all the way with no failure. Since this was the second one to fail, I'm wondering if the replacement damper is too long (maybe about about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch). I think this, because as I'm am closing door, just before complete latch, I get a lot of resistance from the damper. I think at this point the damper is forced off it's tie point. Has this happened to anyone else? The first one was purchased from dealer, the second one was a on line purchase (about same price). My only other option is give it to Toyota service, and have them install a new one plus the labor cost!, and hope that they will solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I had same issue, replaced both ball mounts problem solved. When installing strut pull clip back before putting on ball socket then slide clip on. I see so many clips get bent causing them to fall off also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had same issue, replaced both ball mounts problem solved. When installing strut pull clip back before putting on ball socket then slide clip on. I see so many clips get bent causing them to fall off also.
Glenarch,
Thanks for the reply. I don't see anything wrong with ball joints, is the ball offset different with new ones? Clips are okay. very careful with new one.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
all years are the same part numbers. with the clip off is the strut sitting all the way on the ball. What was the problem with original one on the truck?

·
Admin
9,891 Posts
Make sure it's installed properly.... the instructions are right on it.

I had my FJ in for something that required the rear door to be removed... they installed the door piston backwards.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
post some pics if you can

·
Registered
2011 Army Green 4x4
141 Posts
Did you happen to install a rear ladder to the driver's side of the rear door?

I had and the bolt head closest to the center of the door was just long enough to pop the connection when the door was closed. Might do it right away or a few hours later, drove me crazy. I got it fixed by replacing the bolt with a low profile rounded bolt. No more issues!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all years are the same part numbers. with the clip off is the strut sitting all the way on the ball. What was the problem with original one on the truck?
Yes! I checked that many times, and it is on good until the door closes completely! The old one lost all it's shock absorbing qualities! I threw it in trash, before I had chance to measure it. If I could just move the mount points another 1/2 inch apart I'm quite sure my problem would go away. Door essentially jams open just before it closes! The original one never had an issue with closing completely. This is why I think my replacement dampers are a bit longer than the original one. I hate to spend extra money to let TOYOTA service discover the same thing. Did you actually replace your damper along with pivot points (ball joint) with completely new ones? Did you see any difference with them? And were all parts exactly the same as original, if so then I really have a problem!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I had and the bolt head closest to the center of the door was just long enough to pop the connection when the door was closed. Might do it right away or a few hours later, drove me crazy. I got it fixed by replacing the bolt with a low profile rounded bolt. No more issues!
Interesting, all these comments while I was slowly answering Glenarch. Yes! I have installed the ladder. However the ladder worked okay with old damper. I don't know how it could be installed backwards, because I actually tried to place it on the door, but the pivot points won't line up, so it's almost impossible to put it on backwards!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You know I will take a closer look at the ladder bolt, just because it didn't happen with my old one, doesn't mean it isn't happening with this one. If so I will take your sugesting and either gring or replace bolt. It sure would go along with my symptoms.

·
Registered
2011 Army Green 4x4
141 Posts
You know I will take a closer look at the ladder bolt, just because it didn't happen with my old one, doesn't mean it isn't happening with this one. If so I will take your sugesting and either gring or replace bolt. It sure would go along with my symptoms.
On my FJ, the little rubber sleeve on the end of the dampener closest to the body ball joint was getting a little marred/chewed up If yours is too, I could almost guarantee it is the bolt on the ladder. Mine wasn't consistent when popping off. Worse during the summer and higher altitudes. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On my FJ, the little rubber sleeve on the end of the dampener closest to the body ball joint was getting a little marred/chewed up If yours is too, I could almost guarantee it is the bolt on the ladder. Mine wasn't consistent when popping off. Worse during the summer and higher altitudes. Good luck!!
Well Chance3 that was it! I got a look at it today (Thanksgiving) . The bolt head was marked, also was the damper where they been interacting. I never would of looked there, thanks again for bringing this to my attention. I did as you suggested, and put a smaller bolt (head) in and removed that thick washer that was used originally on my ladder. Works like a charm, er better yet a "damper". I now remember lookin at my first replacement damper, and noticed some dings on the damper casing, but never gave it another thought!
Thank you, Don

·
Registered
2011 Army Green 4x4
141 Posts
I am glad I could help Don! It took me more time than I would have liked to figure out the problem...LOL. The great thing about this forum is we can learn from others mistakes and fixes.
Take care
Chance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts