Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As grateful as I am for a friend letting me drive his Tacoma for the past couple weeks I am more than excited to have my FJ back. Even though I am not supposed to be driving it for 4 more days it is well worth the obstacles to have it back. Not so sure he was willing to give it up though since he is now talking about buying one. I would say I learned to appreciate a lot of things about my FJ while it was gone. I don't see myself ever thinking about selling it now even with gas continuing to go sky high! I used to have a Tacoma and I am wondering if I am just spoiled by the FJ now. The ride is so much smoother in FJ. Even the steering seemed better. Of course the additional room I missed dearly. Better stock sound system. Not having any carpet and my all weather mats were even missed.

This is really just a pointless post but I am wondering if anyone else gets as excited as me when they have had to leave their FJ for any point of time?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I, luckily, have not had to be without my baby!! I can see where it would be missed though!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got rear ended at a stoplight once, and had to send the FJ in for a new tailpipe and bumper corner, so the insurance gave me a grand caravan! I was miserable..just so happened to be snowing that week, so I was in withdrawal bigtime.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When we go on vacation I get serious withdraws especially if I spot one. I think I have a serious addiction problem...I have taken pictures of fjs in Akaska, Curacao, Nawlins, Belize , and Hawaii. When we get back I get a grin on my face when we pick up our FJ at the airport. No other vehicle has ever done this to me. By the way what kind of dogs do you have FJDawgGrl?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
When we go on vacation I get serious withdraws especially if I spot one. I think I have a serious addiction problem...I have taken pictures of fjs in Akaska, Curacao, Nawlins, Belize , and Hawaii. When we get back I get a grin on my face when we pick up our FJ at the airport. No other vehicle has ever done this to me. By the way what kind of dogs do you have FJDawgGrl?
I have to pass a few on the way to work and there are two in the parking lot also. It was a sad few weeks. I understand your addiction and I am not looking for a 12-step program to fix mine either. I have two yellow labs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's amazing how much you miss the FJ after driving something else for a little bit of time.

I had to put the FJ in the shop this week from a wreck. Toyota loaned me a 2010 camry, I HATED that thing. I couldn't see out of it, had a floating ride. As a soon as I got in the FJ again, it was like heaven!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I was without my FJ for a few weeks here recently. I have not gotten it setup for flat towing behind my travel trailer yet. I took my tow rig and trailer to the four corners for work, and spent 3 days stuck at a rig due to the rain/mud. The FJ has never gotten me stuck up there thus far.

My coworker had an FJ and gave me a ride out of there. I think that was the first time I was a passenger in one and I really wanted to be behind the drivers wheel. As soon as I got the truck out, I parked it at one of my companys yards in Farmington, flew to Houston to pick up my FJ. I am currently in South Texas, but working my way back up to the four corners. Maybe in the next few weeks I will be back up there. At any rate, I was reunited with FoxtrotJuliet.

No FJ = FAIL.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I know something worse. Not being able to drive...and being chauffeured around in it. I haven't been able to drive for a month, and have been forced to let my mom and wife drive me around in it. It was driving me CRAZY! Today, that changed, and I am thankful.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I know something worse. Not being able to drive...and being chauffeured around in it. I haven't been able to drive for a month, and have been forced to let my mom and wife drive me around in it. It was driving me CRAZY! Today, that changed, and I am thankful.
My mom drove mine one day and came back and I could see where she hit a curb. It stayed parked until I found an alternative after that. Worst part about being chauffeured in mine is not having a stupid arm rest on the passenger side. That will be taken care of in the near future.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Awwww...

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
My mom drove mine one day and came back and I could see where she hit a curb. It stayed parked until I found an alternative after that. Worst part about being chauffeured in mine is not having a stupid arm rest on the passenger side. That will be taken care of in the near future.
I am holding out for the passenger arm rest until I can get the Tuffy lockbox. It takes the place of the passenger armrest and is the armrest too. Plus it is a box that locks. I miss the center console from my FJ. My tow rig is a 1998 RAM 2500 with the cummins. Chrystler knows how to put EPIC center consoles in vehicles.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I traded in my 2007 Tacoma for my 2008 FJ and never looked back. Tacoma was the best truck I ever owned but I love the FJ. Mines been sitting at the airport for 10 days and I finally get home tomorrow. Been driving a Kia minicab on vacation!

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
:rofl: You poor, poor souls. My FJ is basically a vacation vehicle and, although I do make some short trips with it locally, vacations are probably 90%+ of the total mileage.

These vacations of 1300-1500 miles each way make me absolutely hate the FJ seats but since I waited for the '08 model with standard side impact airbags it isn't quite so easy to change them out.

Truth is that if I could install my Silverado's seats in the FJ it would make the FJ about 10 times more desirable/comfortable for driving, especially long trips.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Truth is that if I could install my Silverado's seats in the FJ it would make the FJ about 10 times more desirable/comfortable for driving, especially long trips.
What are you waiting for?? I am sure you are one of those people who isn't afraid of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
What are you waiting for?? I am sure you are one of those people who isn't afraid of a challenge.
Oh the wheels are a turnin'. Just need some time to do lots of measuring and look at alternatives. This FJ "dead leg syndrome" makes me walk like I've "been riding the range" every time I get out to get gas. :boohoo:

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Oh the wheels are a turnin'. Just need some time to do lots of measuring and look at alternatives. This FJ "dead leg syndrome" makes me walk like I've "been riding the range" every time I get out to get gas. :boohoo:
Thats just bad with the small tank and no so good gas mileage.

·
Registered
483 Posts
my dad just drove my fj to work, im going to drive over with his car just to go pick it up cause theres no way im driving the 4runner or land cruiser

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm stuck in Alabama for about 3 more weeks while my FJ is back in Texas. Been here 3 weeks already and I miss the FJ. One reason is that I have several parts in my garage waiting to be installed and I'm bored here on weekends wishing I could get the work on the FJ done. I'm driving my Superduty diesel around and although it is very comfortable on long drives I don't like it for short in and around driving. X2 on the comment about the FJ seats. They are not comfortable on the long trips. Think I'll be using an extra cushion for the drive to Summit.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I'll agree on the seats. Many trips to NC have proven to suck some. Good thing is at least there is always a little break having to stop and get gas.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
When I spent 5 months in nebraska working the snow flooding disaster declartations, I was without my FJ the hole time, running around in compact rentals !.... IT WAS AWESOME getting back into the FJ after all that time !.... I may be leaving her' again in a few weeks and heading to Missouri for the flooding declarations...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts