Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, those of you with small children give me your honest opinion regarding the roominess and practicality of the back seat. I have two kids, ages 7 and 11, and right now they fit very well in the back seat. I test drove one and of course they liked it. How is it for long trips? I know it is much bigger than my extended cab Tacoma.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not the most comfortable seats, front or back for very long road trips. They could have given us a little nicer seats. But if the kids are up for it , thats half the battle !!

·
Registered
69 Posts
they are fine....no back seat I've ever sat in in any truck or SUV has been "comfortable" and the majority of cars are not great in this area.

The front seats are fine, I've done my share of long trips in it already!

I just invested into the Wet Okole seat covers..... look into these! And the lumbar support bladder is reported to be very good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My boys love it. We have 3 boys 6, 4, and 11 months and they fit great. We haven't taken it on a long trip yet, so I can't comment there. We typically take our Sequoia for the long trips. The Sequoia is quite comfortable :)

But for roominess, it is quite good even with car seats. My only complaint is that the rear doors sometimes make it awkward for them to get out. When I see that coming, they just jump over the front seat. They love that at this age anyways, so it works out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My in-laws are in their 70s and they ride in the back seat of the FJ. They even remarked how comfortable they were in the FJ.

·
Registered
849 Posts
we have an 8 year old boy.......he has never complained about the back and i've crammed it full with him, 2 dogs and groceries (ok.......let the jokes begin) and he still has room. now..........when hes 18 and 6'2" we might have a problem......but by then we'll be giving him this FJ and buying ourselves a new one anyways. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My kids are 13 and 15 and love the back seat. In fact they prefer taking the FJ on every trip. Plenty of room and easy to get in and out of based on their size. Their only request is the seats don't recline like my ex Rav4. Most kids have no clue of comfortable seating. Don't you remember spending 8 hours in school chairs.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I've ridden in the back on a few trails while my brother drove. It's a lot more comfy than coach class, and the window makes it feel like you're flying.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
not been in this back seat as 1- i am the owner and driver and 2- i dont do that other thing in back seats anymore either LOL

I had two children in my two door Jeep Cherokee for years...that was a pain in the tail for car seats but worked it out....awkward to get them in and out...but worked it out and the girls learned as well....never had to worry about them playing with handle and opening door nor did they have a rear window to lower if stuffy...but then again they survived and all was well.

I think the Toyota seats are much more comfortable than my 94 Jeep Cherokee 2 door 4x4...for driver...passenger...and anyone in rear included. I drove from Charleston to Wash DC on Monday and they were much better than my last vehicle seats for trips...by leaps and bounds.

I would think that younger children up through middle school will have no issues...if you raise a son that plays football in highschool at varsity level then he might not like it for long trips but definitely no worse than Wrangler back seat and I see them piled in that all the time around here. Plus by then he will want his own wheels or maybe take your FJ away from you and make you get something else...LOL

Kids are more adaptable and easy to please than many give them credit for...if nobody makes a big deal about the big seat then doubt they will find problem with it either at that age. They will likely think it is fun...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Did a 1200+ mile road trip with my sweetie and 12yr old daughter. My daughter was perfectly fine the whole trip. If she got tired she would buckle up in the center slot, slide the shoulder strap to the side and get comfy with her pillow & blanket. There were a few times that I'd look back at her and think, man if only she could drive, keep my sweetie company, I'd be back there snuggled up myself. It's not all that bad. If you want a little more cush then add some quality neoprene seat covers by Wet Okole front and rear. They make a HUGE difference.
Most of all...have FUN! :bandit:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our kids are 11, 14 & 17 and haven't complained so far. As for long trips, I'll let you know after we drive 1000 miles to the Summit. All 3 of them will be in the back seat together!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That will probably test something, but probably other than seat comfort. My kids are grown and out on their own; I doubt they could ride 1000 miles together today.. LOL... Ron

Our kids are 11, 14 & 17 and haven't complained so far. As for long trips, I'll let you know after we drive 1000 miles to the Summit. All 3 of them will be in the back seat together!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
mine seem to be fine with it get some wet okoles they add some cushion and makes it more comfy!

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
My 10 year olds biggest complaint is that she can't see as much as she would like when were off roading, so she and Mom rotate ever so often.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The seats do fold down flat you just have to take the headrests off to avoid scuffing or tearing them. And we travel with a 1 year old in a car seat, 5 year old in a booster seat, 15 year old and two dogs including a great dane and everybody always done fine. We like everything about ours except the service the dealership provides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts