Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FJ cruiser is from 2007. It has around 90,000 miles on it. Every say 20 minutes the back will shake for about 5 seconds. It happens no matter what speed i'm doing. Does anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
101 Posts
My FJ cruiser is from 2007. It has around 90,000 miles on it. Every say 20 minutes the back will shake for about 5 seconds. It happens no matter what speed i'm doing. Does anyone know what it could be?
I would have to say that from the lack of responses nobody has any idea.

Perhaps you could provide more information?

This happens regardless of what you are doing at any speed and every 20 minutes, without fail? Is this an earthquake type of shake or a wet dog kind of shake?

Vibration can be caused by many things, most people look at tires and balancing first. The "every 20 minutes" may be throwing us off the scent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drive all over NY. Long Island, Manhattan and Brooklyn. If I'm driving for an hour it happens a few times. When I drive short distances like 10 minutes it may or may not happen. It will happen whether I'm going 5mph or 60mph.
I took it to a friend and he said it could possibly be the rear differential but he doesn't check that kind of stuff so he wasn't sure. Toyota wants $125 just to look at it and tell me what could be wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no road grooves. It is like a light shake kind of like sitting in a vibrating chair. The rear end shakes

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
are you sitting on your cell phone?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I drive all over NY. Long Island, Manhattan and Brooklyn. If I'm driving for an hour it happens a few times. When I drive short distances like 10 minutes it may or may not happen. It will happen whether I'm going 5mph or 60mph.
I took it to a friend and he said it could possibly be the rear differential but he doesn't check that kind of stuff so he wasn't sure. Toyota wants $125 just to look at it and tell me what could be wrong.
I would think the transmission could be slipping before I would suspect a differential, but I'll let one of the experts comment on that. That could cause a shudder through the drivetrain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts