Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my FJ used and it came with audio upgrades (though to what extent I do not know). I know the head unit is aftermarket and it has a DVD screen installed in the ceiling, but what speakers are in the sub/doors I have no clue. Doesn't matter.

The head unit has been pissing me off for a year or so. The touch screen stopped working properly and I was unable to select most things on it. I didn't care because I predominantly connect my iPhone to it and just play music off there. I recently put a CD in it and now it's hung up. It will not eject but it will not play either. So now whenever I try to play music from my phone I will get a song or two, then it will cut off and switch modes to the CD and just spin. I know it's the cd trying to eject thats causing the stereo to switch to that mode from my BT mode.

I don't care about fixing the stereo, I punched it and shattered the screen, so I think it and I have a mutual understanding now. :grin
So I want to replace it with something that actually functions. Is it worth looking for a stock unit to put in there, or is there some cheap version that I should opt for? I don't care about anything upgraded. The stereo is junk and I don't care about it, I just want to be able to have some functionality for hands free phone calls and basic music.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd throw another aftermarket unit in there. Sound quality wise it will be much better than the OEM, and you can get a nice head unit with bluetooth and handsfree for not too much money.

I just put this guy in my truck and I am VERY happy with it: Pioneer AVH-X2700BS (avhx2700bs) Double DIN Bluetooth In-Dash DVD

Or if you don't want a screen or DVD in the dash, you could go with something like this: Pioneer FH-X720BT (fhx720bt) Double-DIN Bluetooth Car Stereo w/ If your overhead uses the front DVD player though, you might want to stick with DVD in dash...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd throw another aftermarket unit in there. Sound quality wise it will be much better than the OEM, and you can get a nice head unit with bluetooth and handsfree for not too much money.

I just put this guy in my truck and I am VERY happy with it: Pioneer AVH-X2700BS (avhx2700bs) Double DIN Bluetooth In-Dash DVD

Or if you don't want a screen or DVD in the dash, you could go with something like this: Pioneer FH-X720BT (fhx720bt) Double-DIN Bluetooth Car Stereo w/ If your overhead uses the front DVD player though, you might want to stick with DVD in dash...
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will need the dash screen because of the backup camera and yes, the overhead dvd showed up on the dash screen when it was functioning. So this is something that should fit in the dash and plug in without issues, or would it be more involved?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Actually, after looking at your link, I would need to purchase this as well?

idataLink ADS-MRR Radio Replacement and Steering Wheel Interface

In order to maintain steering wheel functions and BT connectivity, etc?
You have an aftermarket unit in there now right? If the steering wheel controls are working with it, likely you already have an interface in there.

As for the Bluetooth, it is built into the new headunit so there is no additional module needed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have an aftermarket unit in there now right? If the steering wheel controls are working with it, likely you already have an interface in there.

As for the Bluetooth, it is built into the new headunit so there is no additional module needed.
Thanks for the help. :cheers:

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think the easiest route would be to buy an aftermarket head unit that is the same brand as the one currently in there. That way, the wiring harness should already be good to go so you dont have to make a new one.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think the easiest route would be to buy an aftermarket head unit that is the same brand as the one currently in there. That way, the wiring harness should already be good to go so you dont have to make a new one.
I would think the aftermarket harness in there now would likely work. I don't think the harnesses are stereo specific, but are vehicle specific. If he currently has an aftermarket harness in it, I'd think that would work.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I would think the aftermarket harness in there now would likely work. I don't think the harnesses are stereo specific, but are vehicle specific.
They are specific to a certain brand. Usually when you buy a stereo you get an install kit that plugs into the factory stereo plug with loose wires. You have to solder/crimp those wires to the plug that goes into your after market stereo. I don't know for sure, but I dont think the plug on a pioneer will work in an alpine, etc... Or even within brands, the plugs on the back of the stereo can be different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts