Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed some mini lights that I would like to come on when I open the door. For the life of me I can't figure out how to wire them. My FJ is a whole week old and I don't want to start cutting wires unnecessarily.

Upon pulling the dome light down, I see 3 wires. When I pulled the side pillar cover, I see only 2 wires with a connector at the roof line. Are these the dome light wires? Or are they for something else? When I disconnected the connector, I waited a bit thinking the light would go out. Ha, no such luck!

The switch in the door is an entirely different color and there is only 1 wire there. Any ideas???

You know us old guys, we want to see what we're stepping into in the dark. Thought this would be a nice easy mod. :boohoo:

·
Registered
570 Posts
The dome light wires are run in a "ribbon" cable all the way from the fuse panel, up the pillar, and across the headliner.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll look again.

dan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ribbon cable exactly where you said it would be, under the driver's pillar cover. All I had to do was strip off the insulation of the center and an end wire, solder on some wires, fish them through to under the dash and hook up the lights. I used regular truck running lights that when I took apart fit very nicely on the side foot panels. Again, all I wanted was some additional light when I get in on a dark night that work just like the dome light. Thanks for the tips.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts