Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the car wash, the black plastic cover that is directly over the rear back up sensor has cracked and while washing it, it came off exposing the metal sensor. The sensor still appears to work, but can I just replace the cover piece or do I need to replace the entire sensor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Mine just had the black paint like coating come off on the back passenger side. The system hasn't worked since. Just gives an ear splitting squeal if I have the system on. I'm sure the dealership will tell you that the cover can't be replaced and for $XXX we'll install a new one. I leave mine de-activated. :lol:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine just had the black paint like coating come off on the back passenger side. The system hasn't worked since. Just gives an ear splitting squeal if I have the system on. I'm sure the dealership will tell you that the cover can't be replaced and for $XXX we'll install a new one. I leave mine de-activated. :lol:
I'm not sure what's so special about the black cover, but yes, mine only stays 'solid tone' now. Oh well, I've liked the feature but never fully relied on it. It was more of a, pardon the pun, a back up to me paying attention to my surroundings. I liked it because it warned you when idiots decide to walk behind a backing out FJ. Now I have an excuse to hit them! :)

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The sensor is one-piece and just held by a plastic bracket.

P/N 89341-33050

Here is how it is mounted inside the rear bumper cover.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Ya, as stated above, the dealer will want you to bend over for them for a complete part replacement. I would just try to order the plastic cover & replace it yourself, see where you get. Not sure about what parts are available due to the problems over in Japan, but give it a try. Never thought I'd ever use that sensor, but I leave it on all the time. Saved my rear end more than one time. Except when I was off road & backed into a tree with the spare tire, put a major dent in the rear door, where the hell was the beep-beep-beep that time??:cheers:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I also nicked one of mine on something a few years ago and eventually it fell off and the exposed aluminium has corroded but it's still working. I have been trying to think of something I could use to color it black again while hopefully letting it do it's work.
Backup sensors on other makes are almost all the same color as the vehicle so maybe painting them is an option?
If anyone tried it please let me know.
If not, a wireless backup camera is probably the cheapest way to go. I've seen them for les than the price of one sensor.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also nicked one of mine on something a few years ago and eventually it fell off and the exposed aluminium has corroded but it's still working. I have been trying to think of something I could use to color it black again while hopefully letting it do it's work.
Backup sensors on other makes are almost all the same color as the vehicle so maybe painting them is an option?
If anyone tried it please let me know.
If not, a wireless backup camera is probably the cheapest way to go. I've seen them for les than the price of one sensor.
You can paint a sensor no problem. I fit them at my work and we just buy them as raw plastic or painted and re paint them and they work fine. We can paint them then fit vinyl signs over them and they still work. Shouldn't be a problem. :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I got mine on eBay for about 15 bucks last summer and still working fine today. Not everyone has had the same luck with the sensors bought eBay though. Buy a few if your worried about a dud because it's still much cheaper than OEM. Also test the sensor before putting the bumper cover back on.

Sent from a NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I got mine on eBay for about 15 bucks last summer and still working fine today. Not everyone has had the same luck with the sensors bought eBay though. Buy a few if your worried about a dud because it's still much cheaper than OEM. Also test the sensor before putting the bumper cover back on.

Sent from a NiPhone using Tapatalk
Im actually going to install my replacement set of sensors this weekend......the weather should be nice :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts