Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel stupid and didn't do anything to my FJ other than scrape some paint off the corner of the bumper. But I didn't have my sonar button pushed on and am wondering, does anyone leave theirs on all the time? Is there anyway to rig it to enable when your in reverse or am I stupid and even though the button light is on are the sensors only enabled in reverse? Really wish I had pushed that button in this morning.:mecry:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You can leave it pushed in all the time. You will hear a beep when you put it in reverse and that tells you it's activated. You're just slightly stupid. LOL
Just kidding man, unfortunately you learned the hard way. Good luck. ...:cheers:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, it only comes on when in reverse. I almost wish I could remove the button so I could never accidentally turn it off. :p

·
Registered
188 Posts
dont feel to bad ive done it with the sensors on! i think the guy came around the corner real fast when i was backing up though. luckily my hitch hit his bumper. supprisingly my sonar never went off. but yes you can leave it on and it only activates when in reverse

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Get a cheap cargo carrier... Best of both worlds. You can't use your backup sensors 'cause they beep incessantly with the carrier, and you're overly paranoid about backing into something. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope it all works out. :cheers:

·
Registered
252 Posts
dont feel to bad ive done it with the sensors on! i think the guy came around the corner real fast when i was backing up though. luckily my hitch hit his bumper. supprisingly my sonar never went off. but yes you can leave it on and it only activates when in reverse
Be careful, those sensors really only work directly behind you. I've backed up and been at a 45 degree angle to a car and the sensors didn't see it. Luckily, my backup camera works just fine and I knew it was there. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can leave it pushed in all the time. You will hear a beep when you put it in reverse and that tells you it's activated. You're just slightly stupid. LOL
Just kidding man, unfortunately you learned the hard way. Good luck. ...:cheers:
Thanks for the feed back, guess slightly stupid isn't so bad. No I just have an excuse to get new front and rear bumpers!

·
Registered
188 Posts
There ya go!
I leave the back up sensor on all the time....I really like it. Hubby has a new taco with the sensor AND the camera in the rear view mirror, wish I had that one in my FJ.

·
fka Silverheels
128 Posts
I love the sensors, except when the trailer is on.... The constant beep in reverse will dirve you crazy when trying to back a trailer. I would guess that is why there is the switch, but I agree mine is on when ever the trailer is off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That stinks; glad it wasn't serious damage though.

IMO, I dislike this type of tech b/c once you get used to it and rely on it, then when it's not available or off accidents happen. I think car manufactures add these things to help reduce accidents and make things easier but at the same time it seems like they also allow for bad driving habits to creep in. Seen those commercials for the car that parallel parks itself -- yeah, never buying on of those. :) Not to mention all the additional computers/motors and electrical issues to fix when they break.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Get a cheap cargo carrier... Best of both worlds. You can't use your backup sensors 'cause they beep incessantly with the carrier, and you're overly paranoid about backing into something. :lol:

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope it all works out. :cheers:
A cargo carrier may block the sensors enough to have them constantly "sensing" an obsticle, therefore rendering them useless.

I prfer those cheapo "Rhino" hitch mounted "bumper steps" (I call them "sacrificial bumpers"). They usually last several seasons (more if you spray paint them occasionally).

Oh--And i've 'downed" my Webber grill--twice! Don't feel too stupid!

·
Registered
153 Posts
We leave ours on all the time. My wife drives the cruiser most of the time and would NEVER THINK of ever shutting it off. We also installed a back up camera.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
mine stay on all the time. i mean i see no reason why i shouldn't leave it on.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I still gotta check with the sonar on cause a lot of times on hills, I reverse with the FJ in neutral... yeah some close calls there relying on sonar only then remembering "oh yeah, gotta put the FJ in reverse for it to work!"

·
Registered
50 Posts
I almost did it on Christmas Eve in a crazy out of control parking lot. The only thing that saved me was the beeping. I am so glad I had that button pushed or I would have done some serious damage.

·
Premium Member
12,914 Posts
That stinks; glad it wasn't serious damage though.

IMO, I dislike this type of tech b/c once you get used to it and rely on it, then when it's not available or off accidents happen. I think car manufactures add these things to help reduce accidents and make things easier but at the same time it seems like they also allow for bad driving habits to creep in. Seen those commercials for the car that parallel parks itself -- yeah, never buying on of those. :) Not to mention all the additional computers/motors and electrical issues to fix when they break.
Same here.

The technology should be used as an aid to you driving skills and should not be solely relied to think for you.

To those of you who have "Backed into ________ because the rear sensors didn't work" I don't feel sorry for you at all.

We all come pre wired with sensors and a control center - just need to start using them.

·
Admin
7,655 Posts
mine stay on all the time. i mean i see no reason why i shouldn't leave it on.
Off-roading is the only time I turn mine off.... the grass and obstacles make it constantly go off.

Yes, I still look behind me. I will never fully rely on a little sensor when backing up in case some kid runs behind me or something.

:cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts