Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2007 6MT FJ, and want to put a backup camera in. I'd like to simultaneously upgrade the radio unit, and was looking for any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
most modern Navi equipped head units also come with rear camera capability.

For instance, I just installed a Pioneer AVIC 8200 in my '08, and now have every modern convenience: navigation, hands free phone, bluetooth, 2 USB ports and rear camera. Also have SD card data capability, and DVD/movie, and many of the vehicle OBD-II data things are available to display on the navi screen (tire pressure, mpg, things like that).

It is a job to run the new wiring (camera wire to the back door, back up light wire and parking brake wire to the head unit), but none of it is hard, just time consuming (getting the camera wire through the door grommet took the longest, but after untaping it and pulling the washer hose out of the way it was easy to thread the new wire and connector through, and then put the hose back in and re-tape). The more interior trim you remove the easier it is to do, but all of that up front is super easy to do (drop the glove box, remove center console and RH kick panel & scuff plates).

You'll need something like an iDatalink HRN-RR-TO1 for connecting the head unit to the car (if you buy another brand of head unit the number will be different), and an iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR for the steering wheel controls. Both are easy to get through Crutchfield who also provides free technical support.

You will need a PC (not Apple) to program the Maestro, but I was able to get that done at a local Best Buy.

Now my 9 year old truck is just as "now" as any brand new vehicle is.

A handy way to upgrade your "in dash" Aux in (mini plug) to an Aux in (mini plug + USB), is with one of these:
Axxess AX-USB-35EXT
I got mine from Sonic Electronix for $12.

N

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
super satisfied

it did take a long time to learn how to use everything (because the new head unit is essentially a whole computer, there are a LOT of things to learn) - I took it in stages so I didn't get too frustrated all at once.

One down side of such a modern head unit is it takes longer to "power up" (re-boot after sitting) than an old, simple head unit. To help kill time during the boot-up they put the "push OK to signify you understand that you shouldn't play with the navigation system while driving" button.

Then the music starts back up.

BTW, the back up camera comes on immediately, right after start, and when shifted into reverse (even if the boot up is not yet completed), which is good.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If my FJ has OeM backup camera, and i want a new apple carplay headunit can my factorry back up camera be seen in the middle display?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If my FJ has OeM backup camera, and i want a new apple carplay headunit can my factorry back up camera be seen in the middle display?
Yup. Got a Pioneer installed by Best Buy in my 2012 because I hated that stupid little screen in the rear view. Back up camera is now on a 7" screen on the head unit and my steering wheel controls still work. Awesome!

The only down side I've run into is that for some reason the camera only sends signal for a couple of minutes after you get out of reverse. Apparently it's a toyota thing since it doesn't happen on my nissan and the tech at Best Buy told me as much.

Dan

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yup. Got a Pioneer installed by Best Buy in my 2012 because I hated that stupid little screen in the rear view. Back up camera is now on a 7" screen on the head unit and my steering wheel controls still work. Awesome!

The only down side I've run into is that for some reason the camera only sends signal for a couple of minutes after you get out of reverse. Apparently it's a toyota thing since it doesn't happen on my nissan and the tech at Best Buy told me as much.

Dan
thanks dan

Did mirror oem backup disappear or that is there too?

You mean camera stays on for a few min after getting out of reverse?

Which model do you have?

Does your Bluetooth phone controls still work in addition to steering stereo control?

Did the have to add new mic, or your oem mic works with this unit?

Any pics of unit? Pics of where aux/carplay links?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
thanks dan

Did mirror oem backup disappear or that is there too? - OEM mirror image still there, no need for it though

You mean camera stays on for a few min after getting out of reverse? - the new head unit allows me to access the camera any time, but I can only get an image if I've been in reverse recently, otherwise the image is just black. Unless I specifically try to put on the image though, it goes back to music as soon as I get out of reverse, just like the OEM

Which model do you have? - Pioneer AHV-W4400NEX

Does your Bluetooth phone controls still work in addition to steering stereo control? - yes, the "W" in the model name stands for wi-fi. It does everything wirelessly and the steering control still works

Did the have to add new mic, or your oem mic works with this unit? - they added a new mic above the rear view. I don't know if it was required, but that's what I got :-/

Any pics of unit? Pics of where aux/carplay links? - The one in my FJ is all wireless, but the one I put in my Nissan (AVH-2330NEX) works through the OEM aux connector; there's an adapter for that
See my answers in RED above

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
thanks dan

Did mirror oem backup disappear or that is there too? - OEM mirror image still there, no need for it though

You mean camera stays on for a few min after getting out of reverse? - the new head unit allows me to access the camera any time, but I can only get an image if I've been in reverse recently, otherwise the image is just black. Unless I specifically try to put on the image though, it goes back to music as soon as I get out of reverse, just like the OEM

Which model do you have? - Pioneer AHV-W4400NEX

Does your Bluetooth phone controls still work in addition to steering stereo control? - yes, the "W" in the model name stands for wi-fi. It does everything wirelessly and the steering control still works

Did the have to add new mic, or your oem mic works with this unit? - they added a new mic above the rear view. I don't know if it was required, but that's what I got ?

Any pics of unit? Pics of where aux/carplay links? - The one in my FJ is all wireless, but the one I put in my Nissan (AVH-2330NEX) works through the OEM aux connector; there's an adapter for that
See my answers in RED above
Thank you. Did they add another camera?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know how this installer managed to use the oem camera? I have a 4400NEX and was looking at adding a new camera instead. This may do the trick if I can figure out how it's done!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^^^no new camera. Still using the OEM camera

Dan
Does anyone know how this installer managed to use the oem camera? I have a 4400NEX and was looking at adding a new camera instead. This may do the trick if I can figure out how it's done!
I am going to have to talk to another installer.

So far both installer want to add another mic and another camera to my car. My car already has OEM camera and OEM mic, and I was hoping to be able to use those.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^^^no new camera. Still using the OEM camera

Dan
supasta

I am going to buy the same pioneer unit you mentioned

Found an installer who said he can use oem camera.

Question for you - how many usb did it come with it? Reveiws are saying it came with one and people shoild have added a 2nd one etc

For me apple car play and reverse cam is most imp

Please advise

Also i will buy the steering control module - and does it need anything else we should also buy with it ?

Any installed pics?

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I installed a four camera system with DVR completely independent of the OEM camera. I also had a backup camera installed as part of my Clarion stereo upgrade as it had the capability to hook right in to the backup system. The original OEM feeds to the rearview mirror and the Clarion shows up on the double DIN screen.
Currently now have six cameras. Can record on the new four as part of the DVR. One on rocks facing down off front bumper, one facing forward on front bumper, one facing forward off roof rack (over the hood), and one facing rear. All are always on and can record any one individually as I have a split quad screen to see all cameras at once.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
supasta

Question for you - how many usb did it come with it? Reveiws are saying it came with one and people shoild have added a 2nd one etc - the unit has 2 USB ports in the back. One is intended for Apple Car Play and the second for Android Auto. The installer routed them both into the glove box. I use one to play music off a thumb drive; don't really need them personally

For me apple car play and reverse cam is most imp - I don't even use Apple Car Play on my other car even though it's available. It's just so convenient in the FJ that I ALWAYS use it

Please advise

Also i will buy the steering control module - and does it need anything else we should also buy with it? - Since I didn't do the installation myself, I can't be sure. But there were at lest a couple of things needed. The steering harness was one, and there was another for the iData link which allows you to view car features and gauges, and i think there may have been another for the camera...

Any installed pics?- the only pic I seem to have is this one where I sprayed the camera at the car wash to show how it would look in rain
see my answers above in red

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I installed a four camera system with DVR completely independent of the OEM camera. I also had a backup camera installed as part of my Clarion stereo upgrade as it had the capability to hook right in to the backup system. The original OEM feeds to the rearview mirror and the Clarion shows up on the double DIN screen.
Currently now have six cameras. Can record on the new four as part of the DVR. One on rocks facing down off front bumper, one facing forward on front bumper, one facing forward off roof rack (over the hood), and one facing rear. All are always on and can record any one individually as I have a split quad screen to see all cameras at once.:cheers:
I'd love to do that camera set up, but I've got a lot to learn before I can tackle it :-(

I think I've seen your FJ on YouTube; there can't be another one that bright green color :bigthumb:

Dan

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I'd love to do that camera set up, but I've got a lot to learn before I can tackle it :-(

I think I've seen your FJ on YouTube; there can't be another one that bright green color :bigthumb:

Dan
I have been around..thanks for noticing
Wiring is the tedious part, headliner removal all that jazz. I used an aftermarket DVR and combined it with the four camera set i received from china vision. They dont do cameras anymore but most stationary cameras are usually compatible.
Its just "a project" and need to take your time and have a place to work.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
supasta

Question for you - how many usb did it come with it? Reveiws are saying it came with one and people shoild have added a 2nd one etc - the unit has 2 USB ports in the back. One is intended for Apple Car Play and the second for Android Auto. The installer routed them both into the glove box. I use one to play music off a thumb drive; don't really need them personally

For me apple car play and reverse cam is most imp - I don't even use Apple Car Play on my other car even though it's available. It's just so convenient in the FJ that I ALWAYS use it

Please advise

Also i will buy the steering control module - and does it need anything else we should also buy with it? - Since I didn't do the installation myself, I can't be sure. But there were at lest a couple of things needed. The steering harness was one, and there was another for the iData link which allows you to view car features and gauges, and i think there may have been another for the camera...

Any installed pics?- the only pic I seem to have is this one where I sprayed the camera at the car wash to show how it would look in rain
see my answers above in red
Car features and gauges?

My installer said should also buy one that fools the unit to allow everything while driving. He said he can order. Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/MicroBypass-ALL-AVH-X-Interface-Receivers/dp/B00A9AQPUU/ref=pd_bxgy_107_2/130-9475682-6613516?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00A9AQPUU&pd_rd_r=f71aed12-5fef-11e9-921f-93d945d215dc&pd_rd_w=xnqU9&pd_rd_wg=1qrCW&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=MJ2CCVRFQ2T80CSF82Y3&psc=1&refRID=MJ2CCVRFQ2T80CSF82Y3

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Honestly, I haven't used the iDatalink thing, but it will tell you air pressure, display the stuff on your dash gauges, etc. I wasn't much interested, so I haven't looked into it.

And, I don't now if the MicroBypass thing is needed unless you're planning to play video while driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts