Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked my ‘07 FJ used back in late October. The previous owner had a backup camera installed in the rear bumper valance (painted silver section) off-canter from the hitch.

The first photo is what I see from the camera installed in the bumper, the second photo is from the aftermarket camera that I e mounted in the center of the spare (stock location after ‘07).

I personally like the stock location, both because it offers a better field of view, and the Pioneer camera I’ve used has a better color depth. I will try to get some nighttime photos to contrast between the two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice. I've got a 2013 with a stock camera, but would like to upgrade it since that camera is probably at least 10 year old tech by now. Which pioneer camera did you buy and how did you mount it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up the Pioneer ND-BC8 which has an adhesive-mount bracket. I used an OEM camera bracket to mount it to my ‘07 FJ. I also used some epoxy to fill the remaining voids on the backside of the camera (see photos) to reduce the risk of water sitting on the back of the camera.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks good - thanks for the photos. I always assumed there would be a way to use an aftermarket camera, so thanks for doing the legwork. Very useful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same cameras at night. First photo is from the camera mounted in the bumper trim, second is from the aftermarket camera in the stock mounting location...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts