Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed a backup camera from a shop and the night vision sux. they told me that it's infrared, but it's really dim.. even with some street lights. anybody's got pics of their screen at night?

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I've been thinking of installing this too, and would like some reviews. I would go with like a 7" monitor mounted above the passengers glove box. The VR3 wireless I have with the little screen just didn't get the job done

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
My night time picture is amazing clear even in very low light. I've been impressed. I have the Toyota (Rostra) camera and screen.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, just stopped by the shop this morning, and they called the manufacturer and found out it 'wasn't' a infrared cam :( so it'll be replaced with the correct one. yeah.. I've seen my friend's night cam and it was amazing! very bright with minimal light.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you have a link to the camera?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ no I dont..

a little update:
shop installed the nightvision version of the camera and it continually sux. :flame: At least with the first one, daytime view was great. With this one, daytime is dimmer and the light glare of the night vision is ridiculous. totally whitens out the whole monitor and you can't see anything.. It's prolly some POS from ebay. I would highly recommend to everyone who's considering one to do your studies and get a high quality name brand one. I'll take some pictures, when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
OK, I only have the VR3. But, it works well with added backup lights. So, if all else fails, consider adding more backup light. Mine is triggered by the OEM B/Up lights coming on.
Here is where I installed the extra lights for my Eclipse BEC106 backup camera.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
just installed a backup camera from a shop and the night vision sux. they told me that it's infrared, but it's really dim.. even with some street lights. anybody's got pics of their screen at night?
Paul,

What about just adding a backup light? Easy and guaranteed to work.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I'm interested in one of these.

Is that the 250-8017 Shrouded Backup Camera w/3.5" Monitor Kit?

Did you install it yourself?

Thanks.
Yes, I installed it myself. purchased it here : Sparks Toyota

And it looks like this installed.

If you decide to go this route, let me know, there's a couple of things I learned while doing this that would make the next installation easier.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
If you decide to go this route, let me know, there's a couple of things I learned while doing this that would make the next installation easier.
Thanks. I'll have to wait and see how comfortable I get with the rear view before I decide I really need to add this feature. I've only had my FJ for a few days. :)

I've downloaded the installation instructions and at the moment I'm not too interested in tearing apart my brand new FJ to install it. Give me 6 months. :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Almost all backup cameras can be "night vision" camera systems. You need to illuminate the scene with invisible IR lighting. AKA when you point your IR remote control at a webcam, and you can see the light from your remote control. It's very similar, you just need to light it up at night. It's invisible for anyone, and can make any dark scene bright.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts